purchasing native plants

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gonative_*

Guest_gonative_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

Anyone know where to purchase native plants?

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

Hi Gonative, welcome to the forum! It's a great place to be!

Buying native plants isn't so much about finding a store as it is looking for the species you want. Newt put together a Nice List in a different thread. If you want to be sure you are buying the right species, be sure to look for the Latin name. Many times the common name will refer to more than one species, or sellers have confused what they have.

#3 Guest_gonative_*

Guest_gonative_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

Hi Gonative, welcome to the forum! It's a great place to be!

Buying native plants isn't so much about finding a store as it is looking for the species you want. Newt put together a Nice List in a different thread. If you want to be sure you are buying the right species, be sure to look for the Latin name. Many times the common name will refer to more than one species, or sellers have confused what they have.

Thanks great list.
I was interested in;
Sagittaria subulata (dwarf)
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Vallisneria americana (dwarf)

Now all I need is to find them, anyone know of a mail order type place. I was able to find the Lobelia cardinalis at a fish store but that was it.
Kurt

#4 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Thanks great list.
I was interested in;
Sagittaria subulata (dwarf)
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Vallisneria americana (dwarf)

Now all I need is to find them, anyone know of a mail order type place. I was able to find the Lobelia cardinalis at a fish store but that was it.
Kurt

Check out aquariumplants.com I recently purchased from them and was very pleased, I did the 2nd day option on shipping.

#5 Guest_gonative_*

Guest_gonative_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

Check out aquariumplants.com I recently purchased from them and was very pleased, I did the 2nd day option on shipping.

Thanks for the information. Purchased the Val and the Sag. I still need Hydrocotyle verticulata. Anyone have any leads? Thanks.
Kurt

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

You're on Long Island, right? H. verticillata grows wild there, though I don't know any specific localities. Also try local aquarium societies.

#7 Guest_gonative_*

Guest_gonative_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

You're on Long Island, right? H. verticillata grows wild there, though I don't know any specific localities. Also try local aquarium societies.

Who knew it was right under my nose. I'm very new to the native fish area. Been tropical forever. Can't wait until warmer weather to get out and find some things.
Kurt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users