Top ten cold water fish from the US

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aphanius_*

Guest_Aphanius_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

Hello all
I am an european member here. Im working with various cold water fish and a few US species as well. It appear that I can get a good number of new us species legal from the US and therefore I was curious about something. Many of you are very experienced breeders of your fish so here is the question.
If you were to make a top ten list of the most interesting fish from the US to an outsider from Europe, what would they be? Please consider a diverse list representing as many families as possible. Also consider interesting reproduction, shape, colour etc.
The fish should not be illegal to keep, should fit into one species only aquarium of max 500 liter and fit into the temperature range of 5C winter to around 18-26C summer.

I look forward to your suggestions!

Martin Tversted
Denmark

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

Interesting question, if difficult to answer. Perhaps you could clarify your goal:

Are you looking for fish for your own enjoyment, or for fish to make available commercially?

Do you wish to simply maintain fish in your 500 liter tank, or do you wish to breed them in that tank?

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

I have made a list of fish that I believe will fit your goals. Many of the genera I list include protected species; I have not attempted to note that, but I very much doubt you will find the protected species for sale. As a rough guide, small=less than 100 mm, moderate=100-200 mm, large=200-300 mm, very large=greater than 300 mm. I'm far from the most knowledgeable person on the boards about these things, so hopefully others will be able to add to or take away from this list.

CENTRARCHIDAE
all Enneacanthus species (E. chaetodon, E. gloriosus, E. obesus): small, attractive, peaceful- comparable to rams and angelfish
all Lepomis species, but especially L. cyanellus, L. humilis, L. marginatus, and L. megalotis: moderate to large, attractive, varying temperament- comparable to Central American cichlids

CYPRINIDAE

all Clinostomus species: small, red-sided community fish
all Cyprinella species: small to moderate, silvery community fish
all Luxilus species: moderate to large, silvery community fish
red-finned Lythrurus species, such as L. ardens, L. fasciolaris, and L. umbratilis: small, silvery community fish
all Nocomis species: large, reddish community fish
various Notropis species, such as N. chrosomus, N. leuciodus, N. lutipinnis, N. maculatus, N. rubellus, N. rubricroceus, etc.: small, colorful community fish
all Phoxinus species: small, very colorful community fish
all Pteronotropis species: small, colorful long-finned community fish; many are obligate co-nesters with sunfish
all Rhinichthys species: small to moderate, handsome community fish

ELASSOMATIDAE

all Elassoma species: tiny (less than 40 mm), attractive species

ESOCIDAE

Esox americanus: large to very large elongate predator. Other Esox species are too big for your purposes.

FUNDULIDAE

Essentially all North American fundulids, including Fundulus, Leptolucania, and Lucania species, are interesting and attractive small to moderate community fish.

ICTALURIDAE

I hate to say it, but most North American catfish are fairly unsuitable aquarium fish compared to the many tropical cats available. Many of the madtoms (Noturus)are attractive, but they are so secretive you hardly see them. The spotted bullhead (Ameiurus serracanthus) and the silver-spotted form of the brown bullhead (A. nebulosus) are very pretty, rather large cats. The Ictalurus cats are too big for your purposes.

PERCIDAE

All Etheostoma and Percina species. This is a huge group with many very attractive fishes. Most are small to moderate in size. Of common aquarium fishes they are most similar to gobies and Australian gudgeons.

UMBRIDAE

Umbrids are not flashy, but they are fun to watch. I think Umbra species are the only ones you are likely to see available.

#4 Guest_Aphanius_*

Guest_Aphanius_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

Forgive me, my english is awful but I try to use it anyway. I am not running a commercial store but am a dedicated fish breeder. Im not a beginner either, I have been breeding fish for the past 24 years. I have formerly been deeply involved with breeding goodeids and have breed most of these including Crenichthys and others. The latter are actual easily available in Europe. I have also worked with the main part of the european/asian Aphanius species. I do breed some Us species now mainly Fundulus and Phoxinus and from SA even cold water cichlids and Austrolebias.

My interest here is to hear from you who have better acces to US native fish what kind you actual find most attractive in the long run. When I get a fish it will not be through pet stores but a much more difficult way. When it comes in, it need to be breed as there is a lot of effort in it. I do have the facilities to create the correct winter temps, daylenght and I do have a lot of aquariums to dedicate.

Im not looking for just a list of species, but Im curious about peoples own top ten and especially why these fish they mention are interesting. Inspiration you could call it.

Martin

Edited by Aphanius, 18 January 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#5 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:26 AM

Here are some of the fish from my area that I have kept either at home or work and had enjoyed. Some are regional endemics in Texas, but have sister taxa that are similar and more widespread. Others are wide-ranging.

Amia calva Bowfin. I have a thing for Jurassic fishes, and these are just awesome creatures.
Campostoma anomalum Central Stoneroller. Stonerolling is a great spectator sport, and a male in breeding condition is impressive.
Macrhybopsis marconis Burrhead Chub. The more widespread M. hyostoma is probably easier to get a hold of for most people. This is a great looking speckled fish that's close to my heart.
Notorus gyrinus Tadpole Madtom. A cool, small catfish.
Fundulus grandis Gulf Killifish. It's a topminnow on steroids. Not my favorite topminnow, but is great in a fish tank.
Elassoma zonatum Banded Pygmy Sunfish. This is a very chilled out little fish that does great with thick plants and small tanks. Easy to take care of if you treat them right.
Morone mississippiensis Yellow Bass. A true bass that doesn't get too big, and has bold personality. Kind of like a dog in a tank.
Lepomis gulosus Warmouth. I never get tired of looking at these guys. Breeding males can have nice red all over them, but a good looking fish in it's nonbreeding color, too.
Percina carbonaria Texas Logperch. A large, striped darter that I've had a lot of experience with. Has similar sister taxa across the eastern US.
Etheostoma spectabile Orangethroat Darter. Very common, but a pretty darter that's simple to take care of.

In addition to this I'd have to say that Notropis and Cyprinella species are great in tanks. Don't ignore the small silvery fishes, they have a subtle beauty that can be overlooked. This was a tough list to make because I had to exclude so many fishes that do make great tank specimens. Hope it helps.

#6 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

From the perspective of diversity and scientific interest:

nest building:
Nocomis leptocephalus leptocephalus (Girard 1856); Bluehead Chub
Campostoma anomalum anomalum (Rafinesque 1820); Ohio Stoneroller
Culaea inconstans (Kirtland 1840); Brook Stickleback

egg/fry guarding:
Pimephales promelas promelas Rafinesque 1820; Fathead Minnow
Lepomis megalotis peltastes Cope 1870; Northern Longear Sunfish
Etheostoma flabellare lineolatum (Agassiz 1854); Striped Fantail Darter

obligatory nest cuckcoo:
Pteronotropis welaka (Evermann & Kendall 1898); Bluenose Shiner

venomous:
Noturus gyrinus (Mitchill 1817); Tadpole Madtom

intestinal configuration:
Aphredoderus sayanus sayanus (Gilliams 1824); Eastern Pirate Perch

simultaneous hermaphrodite:
Kryptolebias marmoratus (Poey 1880); Mangrove Rivulus SPECIES OF CONCERN (U.S.)

birth spacing:
Heterandria formosa Agassiz 1855; Least Killifish

native range:
Cyprinodon diabolis Wales 1930; Devils Hole Pupfish ENDANGERED (U.S.)
Kryptolebias marmoratus (Poey 1880); Mangrove Rivulus SPECIES OF CONCERN (U.S.)

male giving birth:
Syngnathus scovelli (Evermann & Kendall 1896); Gulf Pipefish

other:
Elassoma evergladei Jordan 1884; Everglades Pygmy Sunfish

#7 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:53 PM

I have no idea how a European's interest would differ so I'll just list some of my favorites:

Blackbanded Sunfish, Orangespotted Sunfish, Rainbow Darter, Redline Darter, Logperch, Rainbow Shiner, Fieryblack Shiner, Brindled Madtom, Pygmy Killiefish, Everglades Pygmy Sunfish.

The only problem is its way to easy to come up with so many more: Flagfin Shiners, Red Shiners, Longear Sunfish, Mountain Redbelly Dace, Redfin Pickeral, Longfin Darter....

Edited by keepnatives, 19 January 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

Forgive me, my english is awful but I try to use it anyway.

Actually your English is excellent.

You will never get any two people to agree on a top 10 list. My list would consist entirely of shiners (Cyprinids), with the exception of Lepomis megalotis (a particular favorite of mine).

#9 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

Very true.

You've mentioned your interest in killifish; some species of killies that I always thought had great potential as mainstream aquarium fish include Fundulus chrysotus, the F. olivaceus/ F. notatus group, and the Lucanias.

Edited by Newt, 20 January 2009 - 11:03 PM.

#10 Guest_OTdarters_*

Guest_OTdarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

I would highly recommend darter species of the genus Etheostoma. These are all beautiful fish that probably are unknown in Europe.

As someone mentioned earlier, Fundulus species are also some fascinating fish. The colors on U.S. native killifish might not match some tropical species, but they are surprisingly close.

#11 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:19 AM

I will second OTdarters. Etheostoma are very entertaining. They are constant active explorers, small, and get along fairly well with each other. I currently have E.olmstedi and E.blennioides.

#12 Guest_Runan_*

Guest_Runan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

Rainbow shiners, flagfin shiners, sailfin shiners, taillight shiners, flagfish, bluefin killifish, pygmy killifish, rainbow darters, orangethroat darters, redline darters, and sailfin mollies.

That's just a (greatly shortened) list of some of my personal favorites.

#13 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

Another darter lover here. Darters (etheostoma and percina) are fairly small, relatively easy to keep, have delightfully animated personalities, don't tend to be overly aggressive, and can be found in incredible variety in the right places. In the spring they develop brilliant color, different on every species.

I've also begun to collect shiners and dace. Some of them are quite beautiful, especially the emerald shiner and redbelly dace, but they just don't have the interesting personalities of the darters, or the diversity of appearance.

One group that I haven't kept, only because I don't have the tank keep them, are the larger predators - pike, pickerel, and gar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users