ASB Meeting In Huntsville, AL, In 2011

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

The Association of Southeastern Biologists (ASB) annual meeting for spring 2011 will be in Huntsville, AL. And I'll be the official local host along with the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

I've been thinking of organizing a Fishes of the Southeast Symposium within the bigger meeting, maybe with NANFA co-sponsorship. But this will only work if others are interested in attending and presenting. So, this is my first call for interest on various peoples' part. I'm open to various ideas and themes that could be organized, especially around conservation questions but also any aspect of fish biology / ichthyology.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

All right! ASB is always a blast. If all goes well that'll be the time for me to present preliminary data from my thesis. I really have nothing to add except that I hope you can get a fish meeting together and I hope to be able to help.

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

How about hatchery production without hatchery selection and hatchery environmental effects. Sadly, I am useless for habitat issues which are more important.

Something that been catching my eye lately is the interspecies disparities in larval ontegeny / behavior that are more pronounced than disparities between adults of same.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

Like I said, I'm open to suggestion. Certainly something about comparative larval ontogeny sounds like a winner.

#5 Guest_bpkeck_*

Guest_bpkeck_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

If the symposium is to be multiple sessions, or even if not, talks could be organized by drainage. Say, Cumberland drainage, upper TN River drainage, lower TN R drainage, Mobile system, etc. and make the systems smaller or more inclusive depending on the number of presentations. What would be really cool would be to include some mussel and crayfish talks along with fish talks for each drainage... might be some informative parallels. I'm sure I'll have something to present, but right now I've only got next year planned and have no clue where I'll be after that, so I can't promise I'd be there.

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

With enough interest, having one or more drainage foci would be truly impressive. Especially talks highlighting any coevolutionary relationships such as the relationships between species of fish and mussel glochidia would be welcome.

#7 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

The Association of Southeastern Biologists (ASB) annual meeting for spring 2011 will be in Huntsville, AL. And I'll be the official local host along with the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

I've been thinking of organizing a Fishes of the Southeast Symposium within the bigger meeting, maybe with NANFA co-sponsorship. But this will only work if others are interested in attending and presenting. So, this is my first call for interest on various peoples' part. I'm open to various ideas and themes that could be organized, especially around conservation questions but also any aspect of fish biology / ichthyology.

why not coordinate something with Southeastern Fishes Council?

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

And a co-SFC event would work too, now that the organization seems to be revived. I think I used to be a member, I'll have to clarify that.

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

Has the location of SFC been decided that far in advance, let alone 2010?

#10 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

Has the location of SFC been decided that far in advance, let alone 2010?

don't think so. Fall 2009 will be in northeastern AL.

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

Eeek! I hadn't heard that, I guess I'll have to go for sure this time (!).

#12 Guest_bpkeck_*

Guest_bpkeck_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

I think it's going to be here: http://www.alapark.c...keguntersville/

November 12-14 (or something like that), 2009

It was a pretty good meeting this past time, with a good mix of talks from phylogenetics to stream restoration.

#13 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

Well, that's certainly an easy commute for me anyway. The buildings at this state park were in dire need of restoration, hopefully the meeting rooms have better lighting and sound now. Our department used to have retreats there and it was like meeting in a series of caves. The views of the river are good, if you can get beyond thinking that it's a dam-altered system.

#14 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

We had a table at this past year's SFC meeting and, if all goes well, I hope we will have the same opportunity next year.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users