Collecting with alligators

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

I've recently moved down here from WA, where I was always the biggest predator on the water. I'm just wondering what precautions, if any, are necessary when collecting down here. I've always just left when I see an alligator, but they are so common... Are they aggressive toward people at all? How careful do I need to be?

I'm also wondering specifically if it's safe to take a small (3x5ft) inflatable raft along weed beds on river banks, where I wouldn't have any easy or fast egress available.

#2 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

My limited experience indicates what body of water you are in makes a huge difference.
In a more wild setting with little exposure to humans, gators flee and hide.
In places where gators are fed by humans, they tend to come running to the sight of a person near the water and snap at anything that moves nearby.
Canals in the suburbs and golf courses are not the only places gators are fed. I found aggressive tame gators along the Loop road in the Everglades.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm a frozen Yankee with only a few Florida trips under my belt.
Still, what I saw of gators and snakes and sharks [plenty of all three], I have no problem carefully and selectively wading/swimming/snorkling most places.
Driving on the highways down there on the other hand left me a little shaky. :rolleyes:

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Mike summed it up. When sampling mussels in south Georgia, we ran into quite a few. But as Mike said, they mostly flee. Just scope out the area before getting in the water. Just approach slow so you can see if there are any big uns out there. In hot months, glance under any areas shaded by willows or the like. No need to be scared, but be cautious.

#4 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

I worked down in the Everglades/Big Cypress Swamp area for a few years and collected in gator habitat nearly every day and rarely encountered aggressive alligators (except for one female guarding a nest). My routine was to quietly approach a site and make a quick count of all visible alligators and keep an eye on all of them as I worked, if one disappeared I would get out of the water. Most often alligators would quickly move out of my way if I approached them. On occasion when I would work in areas that tourists and fishermen would frequent, I would run across an alligator that was not afraid and would approach me. In those cases I would leave the area when they get too close. As for the alligators you don't see.........don't wade too deep, and stay out of dense weedbeds and woody debris where gators might be hiding. I would recommend a long-handled dipnet when collecting in gator habitat rather than a seine. I don't really like your raft idea, invest in a canoe or kayak, it is much safer, anything where you have your legs or arms hanging overboard could be dangerous. Just be cautious and keep your eyes open and you can safely collect in alligator habitat. Also, I would not be too concerned with alligators 6ft long or less unless they appear aggressive and approach you.

Happy collecting!

Marcus

I've recently moved down here from WA, where I was always the biggest predator on the water. I'm just wondering what precautions, if any, are necessary when collecting down here. I've always just left when I see an alligator, but they are so common... Are they aggressive toward people at all? How careful do I need to be?

I'm also wondering specifically if it's safe to take a small (3x5ft) inflatable raft along weed beds on river banks, where I wouldn't have any easy or fast egress available.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

The short answer is, don't go in the water if you see a gator bigger than about 4 feet in your immediate vicinity. Boats or rafts are safe, just don't dangle your feet in the water. What Mike said about "tame" gators is true, but what they really want is a small dog. Dustin and Chip in SC have interesting stories about working around gators in the Low Country.

And what Marcus says above is right on the money.

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

Alligator country is generally cottonmouth country too. Be sure to keep an eye out (those guys are cryptic as can be) and know how to tell a cottonmouth from a nonvenomous watersnake (and do not get this info from a fisherman).

#7 Guest_scott361_*

Guest_scott361_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

I'll trade you! ;~)
At least I'd be able to collect my own fish!
Mnt._lion.jpg
Mountain lion marking that I found while working on my irrigation ditch last year!
I also find fresh tracks more often than I like.
These are a lot more sneeky and will trail you without you even knowing that they're there.
The populations have really exploded over the last decade or so.
They've been snagging livestock all over the neighborhood ever the last few years and are getting worse.
But you guys have a few of them as well, I guess, if I remember right.
I don't even walk around my own ranch without my .223!

Although I can't really collect any fish, I do spend a lot of time out in the local mountains.
I head out whenever I can for photos of my native wild flowers.
Especially all the native orchids and carnivorous plants.
I get really intent while trying to get a good photo, but try to listen to the sounds around me.
I get very nervous when the forrest goes silent and quickly head back to the Jeep.
A couple of times have been really spooky, especially when you feel eyes on you.
And...you're flat out on you're stomach taking photos!

But, things will be bloomin' very soon and I'll be right back out there!
I can't wait!!;~)

Scott

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users