Green or Hybrid Sunfish?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

I caught this sunfish last June. I thought she was normal green but seems she dont have really big mouth like pure green. And she dont have any white edges on its fins. I think it might be hybrid between green and pumpkinseed because its doesnt looks like a greengill to me.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

Looks like a green / pumpkinseed hybrid of some sort. Notch out of back throws me off into thinking it is a backcross into green which possible. The female green / pumpkinseed hybrid is fertile and could go either way (mate with eihter green or pumpkinseed) when spawning.

#3 Guest_BenjaminS_*

Guest_BenjaminS_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

What the heck happened to that fish? Is the notch a genetic abnormality or an attack from a predator?

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

What the heck happened to that fish? Is the notch a genetic abnormality or an attack from a predator?

COuld be a range of things but looks like mechanical injury followed by infection resulting in the observed extensive scarring. I seen a lot in tank raised bluegill that get spines hunge up in nets when they are small.

#5 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

I agree that it appears to be a pumpkinseed/green hybrid. As for the notch in the back, I've seen similar abnormalities in angelfish and other tropicals...a result from intensive inbreeding perhaps? I don't know.

#6 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

So its 87% green x pumpkinseed hybrid for sure? Interesting is that this hybrid's turn out to be wimp and not aggressive as green are. I throw few feeder fatheads in the tank, she refused to eat the minnows but loves pellets and flakes? Seems I got strange sunfish.

On notch topic, this hybrid come from a large lake that's connected to Mississippi River as I don't think its inbreeding but I've seen some sunnies (any species) have notches and deformed dorsal spines but not in same lakes.

#7 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

Only two things in life are "for sure".....death and taxes :neutral:

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

Not for certain, it just looks more green than my hybrids likely involving same species. Genetic analysis would be required to determine what you have. If it was I guessed, remember it little more than that, then the fish would be 66.7% green and 33.3% pumpkinseed.

#9 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

Looks like a pumpkinseed

I've caught several fish that look just like yours out of a local lake

Just called them pseeds

Edited by Gambusia, 21 January 2009 - 08:36 PM.

#10 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

Looks like a pumpkinseed

Except the big mouth and slender body.

#11 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

I just assume species can vary a lot- especially sunfish

I catch all kinds and sizes of sunfish

I just seems to have a lot of pseed characteristics to me

Edited by Gambusia, 21 January 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

Looks like a pumpkinseed

I've caught several fish that look just like yours out of a local lake

Just called them pseeds

I agree with pumpkinseed. Mouth doesn't look that big to me.

#13 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

I agree with pumpkinseed. Mouth doesn't look that big to me.

Im sorry but my sunfish is not pure pumpkinseed. Its mouth look big than pure pumpkinseed but smaller mouth than pure green sunfish.

#14 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

I would agree, that fish is some sort of combination between green and pumpkinseed.

#15 Guest_MultispeciesTamer_*

Guest_MultispeciesTamer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

due to the shape of the scare I would say a snapper tried to eat it but as you can see it didnt get a good grip on the fish. I would say its a pseed x green that then crossed back with a pseed.

#16 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

Another vote for pumpkinseed here.

#17 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Another vote for pumpkinseed here.

Still its mouth don't look right for the pumpkinseeds in my local area as its too big.

#18 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:16 AM

Definatly some kind of combination with a green and pumpkinseed. This hybrid is very common at times in places around here and a very familiar catch.

The only thing different with Butch's fish is it is not aggressive. Everyone of these I have kept are terrors, and make greens seem mild.

Very pretty fish, that once you get it eating, will get bulky and colorful. In the sunlight ones I catch often make me think of longears because of the bright intense coloration over all of the body.

The damage to the back, seems that when small sunfish have a spine broken and it becomes infected, that is the end result.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users