What kind of plant?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

this plant is very common in the creek, usually either in wide, shallow-ish, fast-ish flowing parts; or at the edges of flooded beaver ponds.

i would describe it as a large vine like root, with smaller filamentous roots coming off it,that is burried shallow in the mud/sand, and the leaves sprout out of the root at various intervals. its a very stringy and messy plant, and i didn't do so well in my 5 gallon tank. it polluted it with root filament fragments.

anybody know what it is?

Posted Image

Edited by dsaavedra, 23 January 2009 - 11:26 PM.

#2 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

Looks like pennywort.

#3 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:47 AM

Hydrocotyle ranunculoides ?

#4 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

I see this plant in the same type areas, but is never fully submerged. Just as you said, the water is shallow, fast, but it only grows on top of or along the edge of rocks/banks and stays 'on top' of the water. It needs very bright areas. I tried this once, but it died very quickly fully submerged and without soil.

#5 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

My back yard is full of it, not sure what it is but it seems to grow in wet areas.

#6 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

around the edges of the beaver ponds, the leaves of this stuff was right at the surface, but in the flowing parts of the creek, it was totally submerged. that sample i got was from the flowing creek and it was submerged.

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

From the photo, I suspect Hydrocotyle americana. The lobes don't look deeply notched enough to be H. ranunculoides.

#8 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:45 PM

Looks like Hydrocotyle americana to me as well.... this is a great plant to use in a vivarium, paludarium, or planted aquarium.... Mine grows up out of the aquarium and along the trim stock..... looks pretty cool and is easy to flower. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users