black and red aglae control in my 55gall.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:51 AM

in the past few weeks it has grown very fast and has a musty smell to it.
last week my greensunfish tried to eat a 3"shiner that was to big for him to get down
this fish was scaled from head to anal fin and in poor health due to the attack.
so i froze her solid for 24 hours then recycled it for crawfish food.
they made a mess of the tank with fine bits of fish flesh floating through out water column.
normal water changes have been 15-20 gallons once a week.water is set out over night
each time. now i have a foul smelling bloom of algae on my air hoses and filter pipes
plus i can see it inside my ehiem hoses as well.one other thing that has changed in tank
im now feeding a cichlid floating food pellets.

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

For the algae, the general advice would apply. Cut down on light if it isn't a planted tank. Increase filtration and water flow to try to get loose bits of food removed (like bits of feeder fish). Feed less. Use peroxide if the algae is smothering your plants.

The odor could be from rotting organic material, such as from overfeeding or from the little bits of food that don't get eaten and float about. Also, I think some cyanobacteria generate an odor, but I don't think I've ever seen that happen in a tank.

It really sounds like a nutrient problem to me. Letting the water sit overnight before a change won't remove any of the nutrients. Perhaps try adding nutrient-removing media to your filter if water changes don't get it low enough.

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

For the algae, the general advice would apply. Cut down on light if it isn't a planted tank. Increase filtration and water flow to try to get loose bits of food removed (like bits of feeder fish). Feed less. Use peroxide if the algae is smothering your plants.

The odor could be from rotting organic material, such as from overfeeding or from the little bits of food that don't get eaten and float about. Also, I think some cyanobacteria generate an odor, but I don't think I've ever seen that happen in a tank.

It really sounds like a nutrient problem to me. Letting the water sit overnight before a change won't remove any of the nutrients. Perhaps try adding nutrient-removing media to your filter if water changes don't get it low enough.

hi nativeplanter, im sure its me i over feed everything in my house pets and myself.
this algae has a very musty smell and it clings to the hoses and pipes and is very slick feeling.
like the old saying slime on the slurppie.i have kept bait for years now and never had this smelly algae.
but then these fish are now long term and in the house to stay vs short term and on there way.
cyanobacteria, thanks for the tip on the right species . i will google for more info.
if you ever need help in matters of the 4H or rabbit husbandry please feel free to ask.
"dad all ways said there is two kinds of knowledge that witch we know or were to get"

#4 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

Cut down on lighting first

You can add things to your tank to absorb extra nutrients

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users