That may be so, but since it's raining now (Wednesday), and supposed to rain tomorrow, the ground may be too saturated to accept any more infiltration by Saturday. Plus, infiltration will raise the baseflow of the streams, more quickly in sandy soils. It all depends on just how much rain we get between now and then.
The weather doesn't bother me, unless they are calling for constant t-storms all day long I'd say lets go for it. I may not be able to get back out for a while either, weekends for this spring are filling up fast. The mad in my experience is much less effected by heavy rains than many other Ohio streams. Much of the valley it lies in is very sandy soils, as a result most rain goes in the ground rather than running off into the stream.
It's too bad that there are so many demands on your time, Brian. Major bummer! Holly and I had a wonderful time on that collecting/canoeing trip to the Kokosing last year, and I know many others did as well. I don't suppose there's any chance for a repeat this year?
I have been out more than once in moderate to heavy rain, getting totally drenched, on hot summer days when the river in question was warm. (Remember that trip to the Red River, Matt?) I had a blast each time. But on an early spring day, when the river is still cold, I'm not sure how pleasant it would be to get drenched. Mind you, I do get wet collecting on winter days, and I got wet with cold Allegheny River water just last night, all with no complaints. It's inevitable to get a little wet while collecting, but not drenched. The forecast is not getting better, it's getting worse: "Showers likely in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 60s. Chance of rain 70 percent." It's that thunderstorm thing that really gets me. I'm not anxious to spend over four hours driving there, just to spend much of the day seeking shelter from the lightning and then go home. Unless you guys opt to postpone, I will watch the forecast for a couple more days, hope the forecast improves, and make a final decision on Friday. I'll let you know on Friday whether to expect me.
If you do want to postpone, I'm good for any of the next several weekends. Even Easter weekend is good for me, since I have Good Friday off as a company holiday, I could even go out that Friday, although I do want to be home that Sunday.