Fish found in Palm Beach Florida

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RichUKUSA_*

Guest_RichUKUSA_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

Dear all,

A couple of species I'm having a little difficulty figuring out. Is the first possible a juvenile bass maybe? Sorry for the quality of the pics..could never get the light right today.

Both fish found in Palm Beach Florida in creeks of a few inches of water. The second fish was solitary and was about 5 inches long and is obviously predatory. The first fish about 2 inches long and was often seen in a loose school of a few fish of the same species - it was also a lot more colorful than the picture shows.

Many thanks for any help.

Rich.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_RichUKUSA_*

Guest_RichUKUSA_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:15 PM

I'm guessing the second fish is a Hoplias of some kind..

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

Someone on the south Atlantic coast would know better than me, but is the first fish a juvenile Atlantic needlefish, Strongylura marina? The jaws don't look long enough, but...

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

sliverside?

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

The first fish looks like some kind of silverside to me and the second one looks like a sauger, but that seems odd to me that a sauger would be in shallow enough water for you to photo it like that, but maybe one that was only 4 or 5 inches would be.

#6 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

I was going to guess the first fish was a silverside and the second was a Wolf Fish (aka Hoplias). I've never seen anything with quite the same shape as a wolf fish and that looks like the right shape. If it were salt or brackish water I might venture to say a lizardfish but it still looks too chunky.

#7 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

I think the first is one of the siversides, Menidia sp. and the second is one of the lizardfish, Synodus sp.

#8 Guest_basssmaster_*

Guest_basssmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

The last one I am geussing is a bigmouth sleeper, due to the photo being taken in a creek in south florida...

#9 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

First one Labidesthes sicculus, second one Gobiomorus dormitator

#10 Guest_RichUKUSA_*

Guest_RichUKUSA_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

Thank you all very much! I really appreciate all the responses.

My first thought was that the second fish was a Hoplias although there isn't so many exotics in Palm Beach. I'm thinking perhaps it is a sleeper..I have looked on google now I have some names to play with..thanks to you guys. The first fish is definitely a Silverside..again I looked it up with the names supplied above.

I lived near Ft. Lauderdale for a year and a half (before that I lived in England) and I'm not used to seeing so many native fish in Florida. It seems the cold weather does the native fish a good service helping to kill off the exotics.

Thank you all again. This forum rocks!

Rich.

#11 Guest_Auburngus_*

Guest_Auburngus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

First one Labidesthes sicculus, second one Gobiomorus dormitator

This is the correct answer.

#12 Guest_AnThOnY_*

Guest_AnThOnY_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

This is the correct answer.

not sure about the fat sleeper, these are my 2 fat sleepers
Posted Image
and they are nothing like that

#13 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

not sure about the fat sleeper, these are my 2 fat sleepers
Posted Image
and they are nothing like that

Different kind of sleeper. Your fish are Fat Sleepers, or Dormitator maculatus whereas Gobiomorus dormitor is the Bigmouth sleeper.

Edited by Kanus, 23 April 2009 - 11:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users