French Creek trip may 15 2009

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

Since my Carolina excursion isn't til September, I need to get some travel darters in the meantime. My sister is graduating from Penn state on saturday the 16th of may. Realizing that I will be 2 hours away from the ohio drainage system instead of 6 I figured I would check it out friday the 15th of May. I read an AC article about french and did some subsequent research. I am looking to collect logperch, rainbow, variegate, blackside, fantail and johnny darters plus any good non-percid tankmates. Are there any legal things I need to be aware of? I understand french is home to a variety of protected species and all fish will be 100% identified before kept. Hopefully I can collect some interesting substrate for future setups too. :smile2:

Any tips?

Anyone want to go?

#2 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

You'll find some sweet stuff that is for sure. Know PA's protected species though as that river is very diverse with a lot of protected species. Just look for the riffles.

Andy

#3 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

It looks to me like you already have a good handle on things.

I'd join you, but Friday the 15th is a work day. I'd join you on Saturday the 16th, but I assume you intend to be in State College that day. If you want to collect on Sunday the 17th (on your way home from Penn State instead of on your way to Penn State), I'd be happy to meet you somewhere in NW PA. If you're interested, let me know, and we'll work out the details.

#4 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the offer Ed but home is 3 hours east of state college and my sister is having her party sunday in oxford.

Can you recommend any locations? I am planning on starting in Franklin and heading up stream till we find some good looking water. It seems much wider near the bottom. Do we have to go pretty far up to get to the good stuff?

#5 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the offer Ed but home is 3 hours east of state college and my sister is having her party sunday in oxford.

Can you recommend any locations? I am planning on starting in Franklin and heading up stream till we find some good looking water. It seems much wider near the bottom. Do we have to go pretty far up to get to the good stuff?

I've only been up there once, this past October. The water was high, either they got more rain than we did south of there, or there was a dam release going on. I don't know. French Creek was so high, we couldn't wade out into it very far. It was still a good trip.

I am anxious to explore more of that watershed, and intend to starting this spring. I've been searching maps, Google Earth, etc. for likely spots, and have several in mind to investigate. Heck, if I can manage a day off that Friday... We'll see.

I'll PM you later.

#6 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

People often do get "sick" in the spring time. Lots of germs floating around and stuff. You might have to take a sick day! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#7 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

Change of plans. We are now scheduled to collect in French Creek Sunday May 17th 2009. Anyone interested?

#8 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:11 AM

Change of plans. We are now scheduled to collect in French Creek Sunday May 17th 2009. Anyone interested?

That would seem likely ;-) We'll see who else may opt in, and firm up some plans as the time gets nearer, if that's cool with you.

#9 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

Sounds great, I would love the chance to meet some members. :biggrin:

#10 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:58 AM

Okay, I promised Bart here and via PM that I'd meet him in Franklin Sunday morning between 9:00 and 9:30. If anybody else wants to come, PM your cell phone number to me by Saturday evening, and I'll reply with the meeting place and my cell phone number. If you send me your e-mail address, I'll reply with a Google Earth placemark. The forecast is looking cool, but good. See you Sunday!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users