Eheim classic how often do you clean yours?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

mine is 11 weeks up and running now.
runs fine looks like it has good jet pressure.

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

To add a little to his question...

How often do you replace filter media?

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

To add a little to his question...

How often do you replace filter media?

in this filter never so far.
the other system(aqua 110)hangs on the back,it gets a 1 week wash and carbon change every month or so.

#4 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

I have five Eheim classics. I clean them every 4 or 5 weeks, sometimes longer. It depends on the bioload of the tank. Despite my good intentions, I usually have too many fish in my tanks.

I make my own filter pads out of some bulk filter material I get at a LFS. I rarely use carbon, if I do, I throw some in a bag. It saves me a ton of money over buying the Eheim media. If I ever need a sponge I'll buy the Eheim one, but they last nearly forever. The same goes for the special bio-kibble. As long as I don't lose it, I won't need any replacements.

#5 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

^ ditto
I'm over a year on mine. I also have a prefilter. Pop the prefilter out ever couple months and there's almost nothing to worry about.

Edited by natureman187, 09 March 2009 - 08:40 PM.

#6 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

I have five Eheim classics. I clean them every 4 or 5 weeks, sometimes longer. It depends on the bioload of the tank. Despite my good intentions, I usually have too many fish in my tanks.

I make my own filter pads out of some bulk filter material I get at a LFS. I rarely use carbon, if I do, I throw some in a bag. It saves me a ton of money over buying the Eheim media. If I ever need a sponge I'll buy the Eheim one, but they last nearly forever. The same goes for the special bio-kibble. As long as I don't lose it, I won't need any replacements.

IT was just a ? as far as i can tell this canister is top rate. i have never made one that works better.
for the size.

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

I think they are top rate, too!

#8 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

^ ditto
I'm over a year on mine. I also have a prefilter. Pop the prefilter out ever couple months and there's almost nothing to worry about.

I haven't used the brand in question so I can't respond directly. However I would suggest you rinse your filter media in tank water at every water change - even if you have an efficient pre-filter. The reason being, when you have a very efficient biofilter, the build up of biofilm [essentially a slimy mass of dead bacteria] is significant no matter how good your prefilter.

If biofilter media is never rinsed of biofilm, eventually the slime sloughs off and goes into the tank. It's mostly benign but ugly and can clog intakes.

#9 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:44 AM

So I'm seeing that people clean there's in the neighborhood of 2-3 months, but do you replace the filter media at this time?

#10 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:12 PM

I replace the very top pad every time and rinse the rest. You might be able to rinse that and reuse it, too, but mine's always filthy so I toss it.

#11 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

While we're on the subject, does everybody use the filter media from that manufacturer, or do you experiment with other brand media? I need to do something with my tank, some of my fish don't look happy and I've lost several over the past few weeks (since my 5 days without power). I'm going to clean my filter today. Should I replace the mechanical media, or just wash it off? Should I replace some of the Bio media? If I should, should I go back with the Eheim media, or do you recommend something else?

#12 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

You should be able to just rinse off the media.

#13 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

While we're on the subject, does everybody use the filter media from that manufacturer, or do you experiment with other brand media? I need to do something with my tank, some of my fish don't look happy and I've lost several over the past few weeks (since my 5 days without power). I'm going to clean my filter today. Should I replace the mechanical media, or just wash it off? Should I replace some of the Bio media? If I should, should I go back with the Eheim media, or do you recommend something else?

You might want to reconsider cleaning your filter at this point [if it's not too late]. If you lost power for five days, your biofiltration capability was reduced when the good bacteria in the filter died. Subsequent loss of fish supports that theory.
It can take a few weeks for the good "bugs" to build up again. If you remove or mess with your filter media now, you might set the whole process back.
Check your nitrite level if you can. You should be past the ammonia spike by now but nitrite may still be elevated. If so, I'd give your filter a couple more weeks before disturbing it [unless it's totally clogged].

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users