South Carolina trip

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

Myself and fellow nanfa member (gzeiger) hit up a few locations along the middle Savannah river and ajoining tribs. We mainly use dipnets as the locations didn't seem good seining areas.

We had a short but very different species list than either of us are used to.

Turquoise darters
Tesselated darter only one however they seemed to not be able to compete with the turquoise where we were I guess
Blackbanded darter (Percina Nigrofasciata (raneyi?)
Yellowfin shiners (
Fireyblack shiners
Dusky shiners
Green sunfish
Bluegill sunfish
least killifish :wink:

#2 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

Please recheck your fish ID and location data;
according to Natureserve, Fieryblacks are no longer found in the Savanah River.

http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=3060103

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

Depending on where they were, there are tribs of the Savannah that come very close to the Saluda River where fieryblacks are plentiful. Granted the description was the middle Savannah, which is vague and indicates, to me at least, an area around Aiken and Edgefield counties. There would not likely be any fieryblacks in this area whatsoever. The least killifish seems to be an odd fish there as well. That is a fish that is difficult to mis-ID, but I have never seen them in the middle Savannah area.

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

no it was an inside joke there was a poor dried up least killi in the car that had been a feeder we didnt technically catch any.
We were at one point close to the middle saluda and that was where we caught the fireyblacks
let me find my camera and I'll post some pics but I'm 100% sure of my ids most of the fish were in colour

#5 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

Sounds like you were right on Robert.

#6 Guest_wegl2001_*

Guest_wegl2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

Dustin,
Do you remember the hogchoker we "caught" in north alabama?
David

#7 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

And torrent suckers!

I guess you saw my other post about how many I lost overnight? I feel terrible about it. I think I killed eight fish :( The shiners are doing well though.

It was pretty exciting to find a species I'd never seen before in nearly every net at first.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users