darter pics

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Fish4Fun_*

Guest_Fish4Fun_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

I am the worlds worst pic taker. ive spent 2 hours tryin to get anything like presentable pics of my fish to post and got mostly where a fish used to be, somthing too blury to make out a log where a darter was just before i snapped, etc. I took about 100 shots and the ones here are the only 2 worth a cr#$. and i cant say much for these either but here they are. I will try for more when my blood pressure subsides a bit.[attachment=7990:Picture_021.jpg][attachment=7989:Picture_018.jpg]

#2 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

theyre not that bad, try using the macro feature as well as (if you have it) the movement feature(cant put my finger on the name) which takes a steady pic of something thats not steady (whether it be the fish moving or an unsteady hand)

#3 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

Fish4Fun,

Those pictures aren't terrible. I think that you will find in the world of fishkeeping that you have to take a lot to get anything presentable. Thank God for digital cameras. Imagine if you had to try to develop all of that film! Keep shooting and I look forward to seeing more of your pictures! By the way, any picture of a darter is a good picture :biggrin: !

Brian

#4 Guest_Fish4Fun_*

Guest_Fish4Fun_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

Fish4Fun,

Those pictures aren't terrible. I think that you will find in the world of fishkeeping that you have to take a lot to get anything presentable. Thank God for digital cameras. Imagine if you had to try to develop all of that film! Keep shooting and I look forward to seeing more of your pictures! By the way, any picture of a darter is a good picture :biggrin: !

Brian

Brian !!!!! Just the guy i wanted to see :rolleyes: those two darters are supposed to be the same species, but you can see the obvious differences mainly in color. Is one a male and one a female or what the heck is up with that ?? They are in the same tank get the same food etc.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

I would say the one with the darker bands is likely the male and the one with less color a female. Those are Blackbanded darters correct?

#6 Guest_Fish4Fun_*

Guest_Fish4Fun_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

Thats correct brian, the one with the lighter colors is also considerably bigger than the darker one, and the big one takes a run at the little one every chance he gets, Nothing really mean just keeping her in her place its seems. I really like these, i have a couple of others, but these are my favs. Wish they would spawn, that would really make my day :smile2:

#7 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:17 AM

Fish4Fun,

Wish I could give my 2 cents on the ID's. The only darters we have in the Upper Midwest that look similar to those are the Blackside Darters (Percina maculata). And your fish are definitely not those. So I couldn't tell you if they're a pair or not. Sorry. :roll:

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American-Native Fish for your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Email: bt@btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#8 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:26 AM

The first pic looks kinda like a Dusky Darter. They are similar to the Blackside Darter, but don't have the vertical line through the eye. However, the second pic kinda looks like a Blackstripe Topminnow, except for the fact that it's a darter....

I'm no expert though.

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

Where did you get them? I have to agree with Brian Z, they really look like blackbanded darter. But that would be pretty remarkable in Indiana ;)

This comes up every now and then... Folks, if you want a good id, you gotta say where stuff is from!

Todd

#10 Guest_Fish4Fun_*

Guest_Fish4Fun_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

Where did you get them? I have to agree with Brian Z, they really look like blackbanded darter. But that would be pretty remarkable in Indiana ;)

This comes up every now and then... Folks, if you want a good id, you gotta say where stuff is from!

Todd

Sorry guys, i should have known that. I dont think i could catch a dater if it jumped in my pocket. They came from aquabid, actually dustin i think. My main question was about the obvious difference in appearance in 2 fish that were supposed to be the same species. Whether they are or not doesnt really matter to me, i was just kinda wondering if i had a male and female. and i will try to remember in the future to say where they came from if i know for sure, sometimes the stuff you buy online, you can never know for sure.

#11 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

LOL, okay. I would say that it's extremely likely that they're blackbanded then.

Blackbanded darters are one of the most variable in coloration for a monochromatic schema. They'll go from this jet black looking thing, to white, to tiger striped in all of 15 minutes. It's quite amazing how they turn their chromatophores on and off.

Sexing them is even more difficult. A dominant male will have a slightly longer dorsal and anal fin than a female. If you have 2 of the same sex, you probably won't be able to see it. Even then, the best way to tell is only if the female is gravid beyond belief.

And don't get too frustrated with the photography. Fortunately, it was digital, so you didn't waste a bunch of money. Having a DSLR with speed flash makes it exceptionally easier (1 in 10 shots will be good), but now you're talking $$$$$. If you keep messing with it, you'll get some way down that'll be okay and won't make you nuts. Part of it is to just learn that some days, it ain't workin', so you just delete the whole batch and try it again some other time :)

Todd

#12 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

Here are some blackside darters that I caught last summer. They are different darters than you have, but they also change patterns. Check out the differences in them.

http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=5897

Edited by schambers, 14 March 2009 - 05:48 PM.

#13 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

If you want to take photos of fish, never give up. There really isn't a wrong way to do it as long as you're having fun and if my photos looked as good as that when I started, I would have been very pleased.

#14 Guest_Fish4Fun_*

Guest_Fish4Fun_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

Here are some blackside darters that I caught last summer. They are different darters than you have, but they also change patterns. Check out the differences in them.

http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=5897

That is really wild :smile2: I had no idea, that one species could be so variable, and thanks for the tip on taking pics Todd, as long as i know its not just all me, i feel better.

#15 Guest_Fish4Fun_*

Guest_Fish4Fun_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

If you want to take photos of fish, never give up. There really isn't a wrong way to do it as long as you're having fun and if my photos looked as good as that when I started, I would have been very pleased.

I just would like to be able to take a few for ID purposes, and maybe to show off somthing i think is extra cute or weird. I really appreciate all the good comments and pep talks. Im not givin up now. Maybe start savin for a better camera though :D/

#16 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

One way to do it on the cheap is to get a 2 1/2 gallon tank to be used as a photo tank and illuminate it with a 65 watt Reveal flood light. There's enough light for the camera to see the light and focus. I just used a curved neck lamp, and would position it where I wanted it. Yeah, it's a pain to get the fish out of the tank, but they're usually all fired up and a bit worn out by the time you get them, which makes them better photo objects :)

But yeah, a better camera makes all the difference. The right tool for the job is best.

Good luck!

Todd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users