Blackside darters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

I got some juvenile darters a couple of weeks ago, and the more I look at them, the more differences I see. They all came from the same location in Ten Mile Creek in Sylvania, Ohio. I wonder if they are all blacksides. Maybe the differences are male and female, though I'd be surprised to see that at this size. They are only an inch or less long.

Attached File  blackside_1.jpg   37.3KB   6 downloads

Attached File  blackside_2.jpg   24.64KB   5 downloads

Attached File  blackside_3.jpg   29.17KB   5 downloads

Attached File  blackside_4.jpg   79.71KB   4 downloads

#2 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:33 PM

I believe those are all blackside darters, Percina maculata. The variation is illustrative of the fact that coloration can vary widely and is not always a reliable way to ID fishes. In the books, the characters that are generally consistent are the ones that are used in the keys and descriptions of similar species. Color can be one of those characters, but one should be well aware that much of a fish's color is dependent on factors that change, such as genetic heritage, age, mood, environment, sexual status and geographic location.

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

It looks like Mark just beat me to the punch, but you can see the very dark caudal spot and the dorsal 'chain' like pattern on all four fish. That same type of variation shows up in the related shield darter. Interestingly not much of a tear drop through the eye of the third picture and the angle is a little too sharp on the first to really tell. You're only other Percina possibility, sans logperch, would be river or channel darter, and it is neither.

#4 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

I have two blacksides, and I have seen all of those patterns displayed on them. It changes often
and they get really cool lookin' at night!

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:19 PM

Thanks everyone! I didn't see how they could be anything else but blacksides, but the variation in markings is amazing. Cool, too!

#6 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

You're only other Percina possibility, sans logperch, would be river or channel darter, and it is neither.

Don't forget Dusky Darters! Haha, but, yeah these are Blacksides.

Thanks everyone! I didn't see how they could be anything else but blacksides, but the variation in markings is amazing. Cool, too!

They do have such a wide range of color patterns. I'm actually considering doing some research on the differences in their markings for a research project here at the university.

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:27 PM

Sounds like a cool idea, Nate! It would be interesting to know why they change like that. One of nature's subtle beauties that most people don't notice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users