Seining techniques

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

The question came up while seining in North Carolina for shiners in a creek that got 4 feet deep in the middle,

"What is better,
to do a quick, 10 second scoop downstream and lift the seine mid-stream
or
to run the seine to a barrier?"

What is better to get a full sample of the different kinds of fish? To get the most shiners? To get the faster shiners? When a nice sandbar or bank is present?

#2 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

I like to pull up on a sand bar if there is one, this way you heard all of the fish onto land. If the water is snaggy, or gets deep really quick, pull up mid-stream, and work the net from there. I really like working through a seine mid-stream better. Once you and your partner get the technique down, I think it's quicker and easier on the fish. to get a full sample, I'd just go over and over with every techniques imagineable including setting the net while someone crashes through all of the logjams in sight (a kamikaze mission). A lot of the time I like to pull the net just until I feel its time to pull up, and then make it to a bank if possible, but more often than not, especially in incised water, just pull up in the middle. That's what's great about seining with the same crew all the time, you get a sort of psychic bond with these type of things.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

In a creek with a 4 foot channel in the middle, it's worth trying an overhead jab with a seine -- while standing on the edge of the channel, lift up the seine with the lead line up and swing it out and down into the channel, pulling it back to you. Basically you're doing a scoop without moving too much. We caught the biggest striped shiners and creek chubs I ever saw doing this in the upper Paint Rock River in 'bama. The fish often don't run too far from you in slightly deeper water.

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:51 PM

If it is a small creek I like to have the seine stretched out downstream rather then cross stream and have the downstream person go in slowly from the shallower side towards the opposite side then the upstream person slowly work across towards the other side and both pull it up the far bank or shore. Have to adjust distance apart based on obstacles.

Edited by keepnatives, 21 March 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#5 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the various seine techniques. I use many techniques and choose based on the stream and the target fish.

In this one case:
20 foot wide stream
3 foot deep in the center
few or no snags
current fast enough to make going upstream extremely hard
nice sloping sand bank on one side of the stream

What type of shiners am I possibly missing
if I run the seine downstream and up the bank
as opposed to
doing a 10 second run / reach downstream and lifting mid-stream?

#6 Guest_Keith C._*

Guest_Keith C._*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

Since there are few snags try using a cast net.
They can be a little rough on the fish, but will catch shiners out of deeper water.
I used to run a seine through a pool in the Mill Creek in Cincinnati and rarely catch a shiner. A minute later with a cast net I would catch more shiners than any other fish.
Keith

#7 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:58 AM

Since there are few snags try using a cast net.
They can be a little rough on the fish, but will catch shiners out of deeper water.
I used to run a seine through a pool in the Mill Creek in Cincinnati and rarely catch a shiner. A minute later with a cast net I would catch more shiners than any other fish.
Keith

There are living organisms in the Mill Creek? Zoinks! :blink:

#8 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

I've also used an umbrella net for shiners. Takes a bit of patience. but when you lift, the corners come up first, so it tends to drive them into the middle.

#9 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

What if the stream is 3 feet deep with a 3 mile per hour current?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users