22MAR09 Southern Will County

43 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

Looking good Blake! I've always believed Orangethroats would vary quite a bit on stream size alone. Some of those tiny streams get a little warmer than the medium streams they supply with water. It's possible the Orangethroats rushing the tiny tributaries are just that more twitterpated. In any case, your fish are further along than ours.

#42 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

I think that's a great idea, and I'll try and round up the Gilbert article and other references. I think JSTOR goes back that far. What would be even more fun is to get specimens from the types localities. Are any of you guys in NY near the Walkill? I don't even know where that is at.

Todd

That's about two hours south east of me but not to far from basher kill which is a fun spot I like to collect at so maybe I could do some searching down that way this summer.

#43 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

Brian, both species get that when in color.

Thanks, natureman. Having never collected a Striped Shiner, I wasn't sure.

Brian

#44 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hey Mike, I think that anywhere in the lower Hudson would be appropriate for our purposes. That's some really interesting geology down there, now that I looked into it. I need to explore NY more just for that reason alone, some BIG floods went through there, oh, 14,000 years ago :)

Todd

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users