Good native plants in my Location?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there are any good wild native plants that grow around my area? I am really itching to plant some in my aquarium and have no idea where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 Guest_jimjim_*

Guest_jimjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

Whichever Thomasville you live in just check the local drainage ditches, small creeks (usually less than 6 foot across). Also in small ponds alongside of roads. For some reason plants seem to like the openess of the roadsides.....Jim

#3 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

I live in the one a couple of hours from you just before Tallahassee Florida. Thanks for the advice... :smile2: I will be collecting some this weekend.

Whichever Thomasville you live in just check the local drainage ditches, small creeks (usually less than 6 foot across). Also in small ponds alongside of roads. For some reason plants seem to like the openess of the roadsides.....Jim

#4 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

I'd also suggest getting a feel for what plants are out there. Especially with all this rain you might otherwise end up with lots of submerged terrestrial plants slowly dying in your tank. It's very disappointing. The University of Florida has a pretty useful guide.

Edited by alejandro, 16 April 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#5 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

Yeah I can imagine finding this beautiful plant under water and me taking it home and planting it in the aquarium and it dying. It would be devastating to say the least. Thank you for the guide you linked. I will do some research and go collect!

I'd also suggest getting a feel for what plants are out there. Especially with all this rain you might otherwise end up with lots of submerged terrestrial plants slowly dying in your tank. It's very disappointing. The University of Florida has a pretty useful guide.

Edited by Stumpknocker, 17 April 2009 - 01:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users