A little id quiz

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:24 AM

Can anyone identify these? I do know what they are, but I must admit to being a little surprised at how they look. A little hint, the fish they came from was caught at the mouth of a small tributary of the Minnesota river. The fish is not native to this river however.
Attached File  P4210239.JPG   27.95KB   6 downloads

#2 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:16 AM

Looks like the pectoral spines out of some kind of catfish.

#3 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

Looks like the pectoral spines out of some kind of catfish.

Sounds right to me.

#4 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

Philadelphia Cream Cheese :biggrin:

#5 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

Sounds right to me.

I saw catfish spine as well. three in a row.
last time i saw a spin like that was after a red tide in Texas ,1000's of sea cats DEAD.
what fish is it?

#6 Guest_Carptracker_*

Guest_Carptracker_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

I saw catfish spine as well. three in a row.
last time i saw a spin like that was after a red tide in Texas ,1000's of sea cats DEAD.
what fish is it?

Yeah, I've had hardhead catfish spines in my tires a couple of times. Usually the dorsal spine, though, I think. But that would not be this fish, though, of course. I can't imagine what ictalurid would be that size and present but not native to the Minnesota River. I'm assuming that it is sitting on a butter dish, so maybe I have the size wrong. Definately pectoral spines, because two of them and the bilaterally symmetrical -ness of them.

Common carp dorsal fins have an ossified ray that looks a lot like that, but I don't recall the pectoral fins having such a robust leading ray. Still, that has to be my WAG, because I cannot think of anything else it could be that would not be native. (I don't think white catfish introduced up there?)

#7 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

I bet its blue catfish.

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

Philadelphia Cream Cheese :biggrin:

Sounds right to me.

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

Sounds right to me.

Nope, that has a white top. Blue Bonnet?

#10 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

Common carp dorsal fins have an ossified ray that looks a lot like that, but I don't recall the pectoral fins having such a robust leading ray. Still, that has to be my WAG, because I cannot think of anything else it could be that would not be native. (I don't think white catfish introduced up there?)

Very close,
It's actually the anal fin ray of a common carp. I was surprised by it because I thought it would be a single bone. The teeth on it kind of intrigued me so I thought I'd boil away the flesh and have a look at it. Once I did that I found that it was a pair of bones. I planned to do the dorsal ray as well but it is still attached to a chunk of meat in the freezer.
Oh, and it was Philadelphia Cream Cheese. :biggrin:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users