New from Virginia

18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Piscator_*

Guest_Piscator_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Hello! I keep a marine aquarium (brackish), and prior to finding this site thought I was alone in the world. I am interested in discussions with anyone with similar interests.

About me:
I just restarted my tank two weeks ago after about an eight-year hiatus. The tank is a 40-gallon breeder type--very wide, with lots of surface area. I have crushed oyster shell on the bottom, about an inch-and-a-half's worth. I have very little vertical structure right now, just a few rocks and shells.

I currently have some mummichugs, naked gobies, a sheepshead minnow, some periwinkles, and grass shrimp. Had a teeny little spider crab but I believe he became fishfood. The tank is cycling, and I've already done a partial water change twice to keep down the nitrites.

In the past, in addition to these species, I have had silversides, anemonies, barnacles, hermit crabs, blue crabs, mudworms, and, unsuccessfully, clams, oysters, sponges, and spot.

I collect specimens using a dip net, a minnow trap, and a casting net.

Future projects:
- I have an ambition to create an oyster reef, but from what I've read it will be labor-intensive to keep them fed with phytoplankton.

- Some species I would like to acquire will require separate tanks. I'd love to have an oyster toad, but I know one would eat everything in sight--just like the blue crabs did.

- I'd like to get some eelgrass established in the main tank.

- I'd like to successfully breed any of the captive species.

- I'd like to learn to keep larger species, but I'm not sure which (if any) would be suitable. I know that when I tried a small (4-inch) spot in the past, he was not happy in the tank.

- I'd like to add some juveniles of the larger species. I've read that shad are unsuitable, which is a shame, since they are beautiful. A juvenile striped bass would be great, I think.

- I'd like to get some sponges to live in the tank. The redbeard sponge I've put in the tank in the past did not survive long.

- I'd like to build some vertical structure using cement, the crushed oyster shell, and whole oyster shells. I've been reading about what the coral reef aquariasts make and thinking how I might adapt their techniques. Basically, I'm looking to build a faux oyster reef, pending any ability to keep a live one. My gobies, in particular will be happier.

- Some alternative capture techniques: I'd like to try towing a drogue net behind my sailboat. Also, I'd like to try a habitat trap, something I read about on the web: Put an egg crate containing shells, bottles, and what-have-you in the water (I'll put mine at the dock where I keep my boat) and pull it up now and then to see what has taken up residence. Sounds interesting.

That's about all I can think of for now. Hope to hear from others here!

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

Sounds like some cool project ideas. I'm also in Virginia (fredericksburg area) and recently started up a saltwater tank. While it is mostly populated with adopted tropical fish, I recently got out on a school trip to Chincoteague and got myself some fish. I ended up with Windowpane flounder (did not make the trip home) a few silversides (actually doing incredibly well considering their reputation) a trio of Sheephead minnows (great little fish) and a feather blenny, which did well but ultimately ended up being killed by my lawnmower blenny. I also brought home a number of cool invertebrates: periwinkles, conchs (which I learned are in the genus Nassarius, and are sold for tropical tanks) some crabs and the like.

But anyway, Welcome to the Forum. Whereabouts in Virginia are you located? Perhaps we can do a bay collection trip sometime. And if you end up interested in our native freshwater fishes, there are a number of us Virginians willing to help a newbie out. :)

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

welcome to the forums. seems like you know alot and know exactly what you want.

#4 Guest_Piscator_*

Guest_Piscator_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

Sounds like some cool project ideas. I'm also in Virginia (fredericksburg area) and recently started up a saltwater tank. While it is mostly populated with adopted tropical fish, I recently got out on a school trip to Chincoteague and got myself some fish. I ended up with Windowpane flounder (did not make the trip home) a few silversides (actually doing incredibly well considering their reputation) a trio of Sheephead minnows (great little fish) and a feather blenny, which did well but ultimately ended up being killed by my lawnmower blenny. I also brought home a number of cool invertebrates: periwinkles, conchs (which I learned are in the genus Nassarius, and are sold for tropical tanks) some crabs and the like.

But anyway, Welcome to the Forum. Whereabouts in Virginia are you located? Perhaps we can do a bay collection trip sometime. And if you end up interested in our native freshwater fishes, there are a number of us Virginians willing to help a newbie out. :)

Thanks Kanus! I'm in Hampton, and I would be happy to go on a collecting excursion with anyone who drops by the area.

I'm curious how you landed the flounder and the blenny?

The sheepshead are really cool, but they get aggressive. My current one is a female, and she's bad enough by herself. She constantly attacks the gobies until they go back to hiding under their rocks. The males I have had in the past were even worse in that regard. On the upside, when it's spawning season, the males acquire really beautiful coloration.

#5 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

Thanks Kanus! I'm in Hampton, and I would be happy to go on a collecting excursion with anyone who drops by the area.

The sheepshead are really cool, but they get aggressive. My current one is a female, and she's bad enough by herself. She constantly attacks the gobies until they go back to hiding under their rocks. The males I have had in the past were even worse in that regard. On the upside, when it's spawning season, the males acquire really beautiful coloration.

The blenny and flounder were obtained trawling between the mainland and barrier islands around Chincoteague and Wallops Island. I was on a field trip for my invertebrate zoology class. Unfortunately I don't have the means to go trawling, but I highly recommend it to anyone that has the opportunity. We didn't trawl for more than maybe two hours, and mostly we were looking for invertebrates, but in addition to the fish I mentioned, we got bay anchovies, a black sea bass, a summer flounder, a pair of clearnose skates, and one other species I believe.

The sheepshead minnows and silversides were caught by seining the outflow of the large pond on Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge where it dumps into the bay at Toms Cove. Not something I would try alone, but we had permits and such. We also caught a school of baby bluefish (about an inch long) as well as dipnetting a few killifish that I believe were Marsh Killifish (Fundulus confluentus) although I didn't keep any and none were taken back to the lab for an ID to be confirmed.

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hey! I'm in Hampton too!!!!

Your tank sounds a lot like the one I've been wanting to put together. We should definitely go collecting sometime. I use about the same collection techniques, but have been wanting to get a seine at some point. I also get about by sea kayak.

You might want to rethink the striper idea, unless you can provide a reeeaaaly big tank. Releasing fish after they have been kept in captivity is a no-no.

I may be available this weekend. Have to check with management.

#7 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

If you guys end up going north-ish, let me us know. There are a few of us up here that may be able to join ya. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

#8 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

Welcome! I am actually in Alexandria (even though my location says the district).

Do you know anywhere to collect around here?

Edited by Gene2308, 19 May 2009 - 02:55 PM.

#9 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

Oh, and hey - I almost forgot - Fishtanker lives in Newport News.

#10 Guest_Piscator_*

Guest_Piscator_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Hey! I'm in Hampton too!!!!

Your tank sounds a lot like the one I've been wanting to put together. We should definitely go collecting sometime. I use about the same collection techniques, but have been wanting to get a seine at some point. I also get about by sea kayak.

You might want to rethink the striper idea, unless you can provide a reeeaaaly big tank. Releasing fish after they have been kept in captivity is a no-no.

I may be available this weekend. Have to check with management.

Hello nativeplanter! Curious about why it's such a bad thing to release captive fish. I read some other post that suggested they may pick up weird diseases in the aquarium. Is that the reason?

If that's the case, I'm in trouble. I currently have six juvenile croaker (2-2.5 in) in the aquarium. I realeased about the same number of mummichog who were either killing or outcompeting everything else in the tank when I put the croaker in. They had only been captive for a week. Hope I didn't start a mummichog plague. I promise to sin no more, but I wonder what I'll do as the croaker grow. There is an old saw that fish don't outgrow the aquarium in which they're kept--is that a fallacy?

I now have three gobies and a skilletfish, as well as three minnows I have yet to identify (red on their bottom fins; black on the top). Pretty cool!

This weekend is pretty booked, since I am hauling out my boat. However, please do get in touch. Same goes to fishtanker and anyone else in the area. Can you email me through this forum?

#11 Guest_Piscator_*

Guest_Piscator_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

Welcome! I am actually in Alexandria (even though my location says the district).

Do you know anywhere to collect around here?

Hellow Gene! Unfortunately, I have no experience collecting in your area. My endeavors have centered either on the waters local to Hampton, Va or in various places in New Jersey. However, from my experience, any water that looks fishy is worth a try. Also, concentrations of different species can be just around the corner from one another, so don't assume moving your operation a short distance won't land entirely different fish. Good luck!

#12 Guest_Piscator_*

Guest_Piscator_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:12 PM

If you guys end up going north-ish, let me us know. There are a few of us up here that may be able to join ya. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

Thanks Drew! Will let you know if I head up North. Please do the same if you head down South.

#13 Guest_Piscator_*

Guest_Piscator_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:17 PM

welcome to the forums. seems like you know alot and know exactly what you want.

Hello Bumpylemon! Cool name!

Thanks for the welcome. I saw some of your other posts--how is your tank coming along (or do you keep more than one)?

#14 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:35 PM

Hello Bumpylemon! Cool name!

Thanks for the welcome. I saw some of your other posts--how is your tank coming along (or do you keep more than one)?

i have 2 tanks. my tank is now completed finally....till i change it lol

#15 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

You've got it exactly right - fish can pick up diseases in the aquarium. There are some particularly nasty diseases out there (like vhs) that are not spread all over yet. Not releasing fish helps keep it that way.

The old saw is indeed a fallacy. There are some options for your croaker:
  • eat them
  • euthanize
  • give away (maybe to Bass Pro Shops? Don't count on it, though)
  • give away when young to people with bigger tanks (you can mail small fish; I can help you)
You can contact people on the list by email if they have an address in their profile. Otherwise, you can PM them. And vice-versa.

Welcome to the group - it's a really fun, if not sometimes nerdy, crowd.

Hello nativeplanter! Curious about why it's such a bad thing to release captive fish. I read some other post that suggested they may pick up weird diseases in the aquarium. Is that the reason?

If that's the case, I'm in trouble. I currently have six juvenile croaker (2-2.5 in) in the aquarium. I realeased about the same number of mummichog who were either killing or outcompeting everything else in the tank when I put the croaker in. They had only been captive for a week. Hope I didn't start a mummichog plague. I promise to sin no more, but I wonder what I'll do as the croaker grow. There is an old saw that fish don't outgrow the aquarium in which they're kept--is that a fallacy?

I now have three gobies and a skilletfish, as well as three minnows I have yet to identify (red on their bottom fins; black on the top). Pretty cool!

This weekend is pretty booked, since I am hauling out my boat. However, please do get in touch. Same goes to fishtanker and anyone else in the area. Can you email me through this forum?

#16 Guest_kzimmerman_*

Guest_kzimmerman_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

If you like to fish, use the croakers as bait. Just freeze em first, that way some use will be gotten out of them. I have some mumichogs and eastern mudminnows in my two 55's, also a blugill in one and a pumpkinseed in the other. The bluegill tank is well planted, mostly cabomba, valisneria, java ferns, bacopa, and a few unidentifieds from a local pond. It is freshwater, the mumichogs and mudminnows can be kept in either full salt, brackish, or fresh.
If you all want to do some collecting this summer, I have a 20' seine, and some good places to go seining. I get everything from pipefish to squid. I had a breeding colony of featherfins years ago, but they didn't survive the heat going caput in the house I was staying in. Really a shame.
I've tried sponges, very difficult. It's hard to get them the food they need.
As far as a faux oyster reef, why does it have to be faux? You can go and collect some oyster rocks off of a dead oyster reef, and just pile em up in there like live rock. Just make sure you either season the tank well, or there are no live oysters on the rocks.
I live on the eastern shore, and would be happy to host a collecting trip. In the early fall, and august, we sometimes get some pretty cool fish up here. Butterflyfish, big eye scad, ect. If someone's got a decent boat, we can go to some of the inshore wrecks and snorkel them for some really cool stuff. Triggers, lookdowns, moonfish, stuff like that. Just have a really big tank ready.
For a larger fish that's hardy, I would recomend the grunts. Some people call them pinfish, in maryland they are called scup, or porgy. They don't get that big, eat just about anything, and do well in a tank. I kept some in a 55, as well as a searobin, and inshore lizardfish. I think I might have had a juvenile florida pompano in there too. The searobin was actually very cool, but I think you would really need at least a 75 to do it justice.

#17 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

If you like to fish, use the croakers as bait. ...

Isn't that the same difference as releasing them as far as spreading disease? I don't believe freezing them would kill most diseases.

#18 Guest_Piscator_*

Guest_Piscator_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

Isn't that the same difference as releasing them as far as spreading disease? I don't believe freezing them would kill most diseases.

The course of action I've decided to pursue with problem captive fish is to feed them to other captive fish. As soon as I come across another tank, I'm going to go hunting for a little oyster toad. I figure he'll make a good cleanup crew.

Soung reasonable?

BTW - I've been hunting all over for an ID on my little mystery minnows. About 1.5 inches. Mostly silver (all silver bodies) with just a hint of red on their top fins and a hint of black on the bottom fins. Anybody know what they might be?

Also, anybody have any luck with plantings in an estuarian tank (about 16 ppt)?

#19 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

BTW - I've been hunting all over for an ID on my little mystery minnows. About 1.5 inches. Mostly silver (all silver bodies) with just a hint of red on their top fins and a hint of black on the bottom fins. Anybody know what they might be?

These are commonly known as NSM's.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users