Goldeye Underwater

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SloughShark_*

Guest_SloughShark_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

I put my new Underwater camera housing to use this weekend (after a looong winter). Pulled this Goldeye out of the Red Deer River and got this shot of the pretty (or so I think) fish:

Posted Image

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

No doubt, the fish really does have a gold eye. Nice shot.

#3 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

Nice!!!

Todd

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:38 PM

Awesome photo!

Brian

#5 Guest_SloughShark_*

Guest_SloughShark_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:21 AM

Thanks folks :smile2:

#6 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

Very nice, excellent shot. You don't see many underwater goldeye shots (I don't at least).

#7 Guest_SloughShark_*

Guest_SloughShark_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:08 PM

Thanks! I agree, that's why I wanted to get a nice shot of one :biggrin:

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:43 PM

Nice shot of a fish not commonly kept.

#9 Guest_Radioguy_*

Guest_Radioguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hi Folks:

I live just west of Winnipeg on the Assiniboine River and catch Goldeye frequently by angling.

As interesting as I find it to see a Goldeye "live and in living colour" I have to say that my favourite way of seeing them is on a plate ... cold, smoked, with Spanish onions, capers, and lemon juice ... man oh man, that's some of the best eating fish I've ever had.

http://www.flickr.co...57602267307721/

All the best for now,
Radioguy

#10 Guest_SloughShark_*

Guest_SloughShark_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

Thanks you two :smile:

Radio guy, I guess that's been a popular preparation for this fish for a while eh? The next time I'm out to catch some I should try and keep a few to smoke, anything that was once a delicacy is worth a try!!

#11 Guest_Radioguy_*

Guest_Radioguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

SloughShark:

I really enjoy properly prepared fish and smoked Goldeye is one that makes my mouth water when I think of it.

The mixture of flavours between the nice large red/purple onions, the lemon juice, and the capers all on the fork at the same time with the Goldeye is a perfect palate tingler. Oh, and its served cold too....skin it and debone the large flakes and you're away to the races.

Watch the fish section of the larger chain grocery stores like Safeway, Super Store, etc. because they market smoked Goldeye across western Canada, but you may have to ask a clerk for it. In a pinch, you can obtain the same effect with smoked Tulibee.

For certain, ranks up there with Halibut and Walleye but not many people have tried it.

Enjoy!

Radioguy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users