Setting up a Native Tank

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_globalfisher_*

Guest_globalfisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

I am getting ready to actually get rid of my cichlids. I am going to see if a pet store will buy them or give me some kind of store credit for them. I want to get out to a local creek and and catch a few small panfish and transfer them to my 50 gallon.

Is there anything special I need to do before I introduce a new species of fish such as a crappie or bluegill into my aquarium? Drain out the water and refill it? Or should I keep the water how it is? Lower the water temp?

In general, what should I do before bringing these new fish home?

Thanks for the help in advance.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

Welcome to the Forum. It helps if you broadly state where you live, river drainage or state/province. Most NA natives do fine with room temperature so heaters become optional, certainly during the warm season. If you have a cycled tank that's good. And be sure to check your state's regulations for collecting and keeping natives, these regulations vary widely and are often confusingly written. In general, most of the South and much of the Midwest are easy for legal collecting, the West and parts of the Northeast are not so friendly. A fishing license often suffices, all things being equal, for minnows and darters. Gamefish like sunfishes are more problematic.

#3 Guest_globalfisher_*

Guest_globalfisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:52 AM

I am in NW Florida. Stationed at Hurlburt Field in Fort Walton Beach.

I would like to catch a couple small panfish.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by globalfisher, 21 May 2009 - 09:02 AM.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

I am getting ready to actually get rid of my cichlids. I am going to see if a pet store will buy them or give me some kind of store credit for them. I want to get out to a local creek and and catch a few small panfish and transfer them to my 50 gallon.

Is there anything special I need to do before I introduce a new species of fish such as a crappie or bluegill into my aquarium? Drain out the water and refill it? Or should I keep the water how it is? Lower the water temp?

In general, what should I do before bringing these new fish home?

Thanks for the help in advance.

In general, you are fine... get the fish out you do not want... get the heater out and let the water cool down to room temp (or do a big 50% water change with cold tap water... natives will appreciate the cooler water)... and you are pretty much good to go.

One other word of advice... Crappie are somewhat more difficult to keep... they get big and they seem to prefer live food... there are a lot of other sunfish that you can enjoy much more in a 55 gallon tank... that you can easily get a hold of in your area.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

If the stream you intend to collect from isn't too far away, try refilling the tank with water from the stream.

When I set up a darter/shiner tank, I took rocks and sand from the creek on my farm, and then filled it with water from the creek. Seems to have worked out pretty well.

As others have said, check the local fishing regulations regarding catching game fish with a net and keeping them. Some states really frown on this, and tend to categorize it as poaching.

I remember FWB, spent some time at Eglin AFB many years ago.

#6 Guest_globalfisher_*

Guest_globalfisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Planning on totally emptying the tank out and cleaning everything tonight.
Then I will bring in some drift wood, as well as some rocks from the creek.

I am going to refill the tank with tap water, and let it sit for a couple days to establish some kind of enviroment.
If all goes well, I will be going out on Saturday to get a few bluegill.

The creek nearby is loaded with schools of sunfish, a lot of them being perfect size for an aquarium.

What did you do in the AF JohnO.

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

If you want to keep your filter cycled, you can run it on a spare tank or rubbermaid bin full of old tank water. This way it won't crash from drying out or being exposed to chlorinated water. If it'll be more than a few days before you put it back on the cleaned-up tank, add fish food to keep the bacteria fed.

Let us know what you find! You're in a great area for native fish collecting.

#8 Guest_globalfisher_*

Guest_globalfisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

If you want to keep your filter cycled, you can run it on a spare tank or rubbermaid bin full of old tank water. This way it won't crash from drying out or being exposed to chlorinated water. If it'll be more than a few days before you put it back on the cleaned-up tank, add fish food to keep the bacteria fed.

Let us know what you find! You're in a great area for native fish collecting.

Actually after I get the tank cleaned up tonight and everything setup I will turn the filters back on. I will let it all sit and cycle until probably about saturday.

I also have a cannister filter that hooks to two bio-wheel filters. You guys think that would be a good thing to set back up? Right now I am just using to regular filters.

I will let you all know what I find!

#9 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

You can't have too much filtration. If you have the canister you may as well use it. Just be sure to dechlorinate the tap water before you start the filters back up.

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Planning on totally emptying the tank out and cleaning everything tonight.
Then I will bring in some drift wood, as well as some rocks from the creek.

I am going to refill the tank with tap water, and let it sit for a couple days to establish some kind of enviroment.
If all goes well, I will be going out on Saturday to get a few bluegill.

The creek nearby is loaded with schools of sunfish, a lot of them being perfect size for an aquarium.

What did you do in the AF JohnO.

i wouldnt empty it out...leave all the water and leave the tank running...you emptying the tank will be more harmful than good.

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

dont empty or turn off your filters..................................just let it run

#12 Guest_globalfisher_*

Guest_globalfisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

Ok so I emptied most of the tank before I read this. There was basically only a little bit of water above the gravel.

I took everything out and cleaned it. Refilled it with water and got one of my filters going. I will go and buy a dechlorinator today and get that going. I also read that having a air stone eliminates some chlorine from the tank. That true?

Edited by globalfisher, 22 May 2009 - 08:22 AM.

#13 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

Chlorine will eventually diffuse out into the air, and an airstone will help it diffuse faster, but that's only helpful if you are letting the water sit in another container overnight before you add it to the tank. If your water treatment plant uses chloramine in addition to or instead of chlorine, you must use a dechlorinating chemical to detoxify it. I use Prime; it's very concentrated, so a bottle will last you quite a while.

Chlorine is deadly to bacteria, so the denitrifying bacteria in your filter are probably dead now. You will need to "cycle" the tank before stocking it. There's a good overview on cycling here: http://www.aquariace...ead.php?t=84598

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users