European rudd in Ohio

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

FYI,

ODNR Division of Wildlife has confirmed the first record of Europeon rudd in Ohio waters this week. It was netted by a commercial fisherman near Marblehead. Rudd are benthic cyprinid, are omnivorous in feeding habits and have a lifespan of up to 15 years. They were introduced in the US in the late 19th century or early 20th and may be found in as many as 20 other states.

#2 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

FYI,

ODNR Division of Wildlife has confirmed the first record of Europeon rudd in Ohio waters this week. It was netted by a commercial fisherman near Marblehead. Rudd are benthic cyprinid, are omnivorous in feeding habits and have a lifespan of up to 15 years. They were introduced in the US in the late 19th century or early 20th and may be found in as many as 20 other states.

USGS has some information on their website about the rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus), http://nas.er.usgs.g...p?speciesID=648.

#3 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Wow, thanks for the information. It is unfortunate. Do you have access to a report about the catch? Was it written up in any way?

#4 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

Wow, thanks for the information. It is unfortunate. Do you have access to a report about the catch? Was it written up in any way?

No I do not it was just posted in department update.

#5 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

I have question: how I can tell the difference between young rudd from young golden shiners? And can rudd hybridizing with golden shiners to produced fertile hybrids or sterile hybrids? How you know if you caught a hybrid?

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:33 PM

Where is the proposed source population? In NY? Was that all that was posted (what you posted) Matthew?

Todd

#7 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:12 PM

Where is the proposed source population? In NY? Was that all that was posted (what you posted) Matthew?

Todd

I do not have any more information, sorry. I may be able to ask some at ODNR Div. of Wildlife and see what other information they can give me.

#8 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

Todd

Before I had a chance to call I saw this on the ODNR Website (http://ohiodnr.com/n...29/Default.aspx).

European Rudd Found in Ohio Waters of Lake Erie
May 21

news editorWritten by:
5/21/2009 12:00 AM

European Rudd Found in Ohio Waters of Lake Erie

COLUMBUS, OH - The first record of European rudd in Ohio waters was recorded this week. It was caught by licensed Ohio commercial fisherman Jim Swartz, who netted the fish near the Lakeside Pier in Marblehead and brought it to state fisheries biologists in Sandusky for identification, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

European rudd, Scardinius erythrophthalmus, is a medium-sized fish native to Europe and Western Asia, where it is a popular food and game species. It was introduced to the United States in the late nineteenth or early twentieth century and may be found in as many as 20 other states.

Rudd were first recorded in the Great Lakes drainage in 1950, found in Canadian waters of Lake Erie in 1997, and more recently in Pennsylvania waters of Lake Erie in 2004. Rudd are benthic cyprinid fish (minnow family) with omnivorous feeding habits and a lifespan of up to 15 years. Adult size is about 18-20 inches. The fish is very similar to the golden shiner in appearance. They are abundant in the upper Niagara River and in Buffalo Harbor, New York.

Rudd may compete for invertebrate food sources with native fishes. Because rudd are fairly hardy, they are likely to fare better than many native fishes in waters that are low in oxygen or polluted.

Bait bucket release seems to be the primary mechanism by which rudd have spread. Lake Erie anglers are encouraged to drain all live wells and use only Ohio approved bait fish. Ohio law prohibits the introduction of any fish species into public waters without written permission from the ODNR Division of Wildlife.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR web site at www.ohiodnr.com.

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

Thanks!

#10 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

I thought you were talking about ruffe (Gymnocephalus cernuus) at first ](*,)
I read that they were released in Duluth, and making their way down through the Great Lakes. Does anybody know if they've reached OH or PA yet?

#11 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:41 AM

I also thought it was Ruff at first. Either way it sucks.

Andy

#12 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Todd-
You could be right. NY is chock full of them and very plentiful in Buffalo Harbor (east end of Erie). There is currently a diet study underway to determine the effect they have on SAV as there is some thought that they are the reason for low SAV density. If I recall correctly, trap netting reveals that rudd are ranked first by biomass.

Up until a couple years ago, I have seen them sold as "red-tailed shiners" in bait shops in central NY. It is ridiculous. Young do have brilliant red fins and are attractive in an aquarium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users