martin brook 05/23/09

No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

I decided to try the muddy bottomed stretch of martin brook along route 32 by swanzey lake road.

I found lots of small common shiners in the slower sections (and a few in current). I tried kick seining but the gravel riffles and wood riffles had no fish (wood riffles had large dragonfly larvae though). Finally i went back upstream near the road and found a rock riffle just above the deep pool they put stocked trout in uit. their I found a big "nose dace" (not sure if it was a longnose or a blacknose, both have a large dark nose to me, i still have trouble with cyprinid identification). It's back was a dark olive green fading to brass on the sides.

I had to visit a friend so delivered the fish to a baitshop near their house (I will not get any more fish for me until I got the 55 gallon). He took the dace calling it a sucker and i threw the rest back into the river. (honestly he made me wish i double checked the daces mouth as when he put it into his cement tank i noticed it had those fan like bottom sticking pectoral fins just like the hog suckers we got in new york), by then it was too late to check the mouth.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users