accurate, non contradictory, species list

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:29 AM

Is their any way to get an accurate, comprehensive, and non contradicted list of species found in new hampshire and their locations.

Fish and game has a list but i keep seeing resources contradict or add to it.

I just read an article from the new hampshire department of environmental services mentioning redfin pickeral in the ashuelot when other sources say it is merrimack river only in NH.

Vermont swears mimic shiners are in the connecticut river according to their minnow guide but NH does not recognize them.

a book of fishing maps called Freshwater Guides of New England claims that MassWildlife says that the lake chubsucker is found in lake monomonack (a border lake between NH and Mass) but NH fish and game does not recognise the species as present in NH.

I won't even go into the web site that lists muskellunge in the connecticut river drainage, something sources in both NH and Vermont do not support.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 06 June 2009 - 11:30 AM.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

Between those lists and NatureServe, why not come up with your own list? If you feel a species is an oddity for a drainage or isn't of particular interest to you don't add it. Lists are static, fish and their distributions are not.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

There is no such thing as accurate, noncontradictory science... we are always observing and learning... everyone's list will have bias based on their observations... even what we think we know may not be right... and we we become convinced that it is and stop being open to more data, we have stopped learning... get out there an observe... you may be the expert!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

i just found another section of the nh department of environmental services page that says the contoocook river has johnny darters. this is getting rediculous. Maybe they misidentified tesselated, but if that happens it expands the tesselated range toa new drainage. I bet they meant swamps. (I should samples the contookcook some time, it's my counties only merrimack river drainage tributary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users