Alternative to NANFA

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

Anyone know of an alternative to the NANFA forum where fish physiology and husbandry are routinely addressed?

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

There are some email lists out there, but there is no web forum that I know of that has academic discussions.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

No, but if you find anything like that please let us know. Ive been looking for years for info on the physiology of aquatic animals in very soft acid waters. Ive always been curious as to why most North Amer fish endemic to blackwater swamps seem to be "facultative" soft water species, e.g. they do just fine in captivity with moderate hardness and neutral pH, while many South Amer and SE Asian blackwater endemics fail to thrive or breed unless their water is soft and acid. I guess it must have something to do with an inability to slow down their ion-uptake pumps, but i'd like to know more.

The AnubiasDesign YahooGroup has a lot of very physio-knowledgeable people (mainly tropical fishkeepers), but of course a YahooGroup is not as convenient as a forum to search through old posts.

#4 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

while many South Amer and SE Asian blackwater endemics fail to thrive or breed unless their water is soft and acid

Could this also be a function of having shipped the individuals for such long distances? I have read and spoken to so many people who talk about how difficult discus and angels used to be.....just thinking aloud :smile2:

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Could this also be a function of having shipped the individuals for such long distances? I have read and spoken to so many people who talk about how difficult discus and angels used to be.....just thinking aloud :smile2:

This should should be in a different section. The problem I have been having involves mortalities that occur simply because the fish are dipped with a large amount of water into a 2.5-gal bucket. No pouring involved. Mortalites over next 24 hours exceed 50%.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users