from charleston sc

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jchampagne_*

Guest_jchampagne_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

I would just like to quickly introduce myself. I am very active in freshwater aquatic fish breeding, displaying, fishing, and dipnetting. I just recently have gotten more and more interested in the dip netting aspect and have been really amazed at what I have found in just a few recent trips to some local fresh water gulleys, ditches, small creeks, and canals. I have found Gambusia Affinis and (even Melanic Gambusia Affinis), Poecilia Latipinna, Heterandria Formosa,etc. Real exciting for me.

I am just glad I have found a forum for people with like minded interest. Can wait to find out more about the freshwater fish of SC in particular.

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

Hello and Welcome! Glad you decided to join the forum to share and gain knowledge. I visit Charleston quite often and yall certainly have some nice fish down there (and in a short drive inland you can get some other nice fish! Also look for rainwater killies, sheepshead minnows and mummichogs. I have found quite a few very easily in Mt. Pleasant.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

Hi. We are out in SC all of the time, including making it down to Charlestion several times a year. You are always welcome to join us. I hope you bought a copy of the new FW fishes of SC that just came out.

#4 Guest_jchampagne_*

Guest_jchampagne_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

As a matter of fact, my search for a comprehensive guide of native SC fish lead me to this website. When I initially found Sailfin Mollies I couldn't believe that they were native, but I figured that I should investigate further to be sure. Imagine my surprise! I Gooogled "Native fish species of SC" and was eventually directed to this forum. This discussion was about a book that was sent to the publishers at USC for release to the general public at the end of the summer in 2009. I have yet to discover the name of the book or where to purchase. If you can provide me with the information, consider another book sold!

Also,

I think it is great that both of you have traveled to Charleston and inpart some local fish wisdom upon me.

#5 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:56 AM

J.,

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find your stay both enjoyable and informative! Nice to have you join us!

Brian

#6 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

It was available for a pre-release special price, but you will likely get the best price right now on Amazon. It is titled, the freshwater fishes of SC.

#7 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

It was available for a pre-release special price, but you will likely get the best price right now on Amazon. It is titled, the freshwater fishes of SC.

and authored by the humble Mr. Rohde and colleagues.

#8 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:06 PM

I'm in Summerville and have been collecting in the area for about a year now (previously in the Seattle area). I can show you where to find some nice things around Goose Creek if you're interested in making a trip. A few you didn't mention that I can find within 10 miles of my house:
Anguilla rostrata
Elassoma zonatum
Enneacanthus gloriosus
Esox Americanus
Etheostoma fusiforme
Fundulus chrysotus
Fundulus heteroclitus
Lucania goodei
Trinectes maculatus

I like keeping shrimp too, both Palaemonetes (cute) and Macrobrachium (eats fish).

#9 Guest_jchampagne_*

Guest_jchampagne_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

Gzeiger: That would be great. I would love it. How do we set a time and place to meet? What would I need to bring? After finding a leech on one of my cohorts in dip netting this weekend, I think I am going to invest in some waders. It was a huge leech about 2-4 inches long depending on whether it stretched out or not, brown on top and "umber/orange" underneath. Rather disgusting even for my strong constitution. Are they common? This was in a drainage creek along Bee's Ferry Rd in West Ashely. I have been able to find H. Formosa and Sailfin mollies in this "creek", so it is kind of disappointing.

Are waders recommended where you are suggesting? Thanks for the offer.

Fritz: Also, I ordered the book from Amazon. Does anyone know why the used book is about 75.00 but the new book from Amazon is 45.00 books?

Edited by jchampagne, 29 June 2009 - 07:42 PM.

#10 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:36 AM

I don't really know what's "required" around here, but personally I wouldn't be wading in really any of the water here in the lowlands without waders. I always use boots. Mostly I'm still afraid of alligators and just use nets from the shore though. I have several sites in mind, depending what you're interested in specifically. Eels are the only ones that really require waders, but they are rare in my experience and you might not get one anyway. The rest can be had without getting your feet wet.

I'll have to look into the legality of bringing guests onto the Weapons Station. There's some good stuff in there.

#11 Guest_jchampagne_*

Guest_jchampagne_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

Let me know. I am guessing that you have retired from the military and have a pass. I have been out there a few times with other people to fish off of the pier in the past. However, I don't have a pass of my own. Let me know what you decide.

I am the father of two, so I will have to schedule well in advance. My 4 year old son has been my searching buddy for a few month now. I am really interested. How long have you been collecting wild fish? I have only been into it for about 4 months or so, although I have been interested in and keeping fish since I was a teenager years ago.

#12 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:31 AM

I'm actually still on active duty. My work schedule is 4 PM to midnight this Tuesday through next Monday, then I have two days off, then midnight to 8 AM that Thursday through the next Wednesday followed by two days off, then 8 AM to 5 PM that Saturday through Friday, then same hours the following Monday through Thursday followed by a 4-day weekend, then the whole thing repeats. You can work it out forever from there, so if that fits into your schedule any time just let me know.

I haven't been doing this all that long. A couple years, I guess (and when I was little). I've only recently felt like I could say I know what I'm doing, and there's still a lot to learn.

Collecting with little kids is great fun. I once had a friend's 5-year old try to pull the plug out of my rubber raft though. I almost didn't catch him in time because I was looking at something. He still wanted to see what would have happened, so I came in close to shore and got out and let him do it. The boat straight up sank in five seconds flat even without my weight in it, and he fell out backward as the sides collapsed. That would have been fun in deeper water...

#13 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:37 AM

I think I just figured out how to catch Anguilla tonight (hint: they're nocturnal. :rolleyes: I mean, I knew that...). I think I caught seven elvers in ten minutes, about 3 inches long and as big around as a strand of spaghetti. Cute little things.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users