Dipnetting in SC

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TStephens_*

Guest_TStephens_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:02 AM

Im fairly new to keeping natives but not new to aquariums. My question is, is there any regulations in SC about dipnetting as in permits, seasons, etc. Also is there any regulations on minnow traps. Im looking to stock my 75g wide with some medium sized natives.

Thanks. Tyler

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:50 AM

Hi Tyler,

You are allowed to dipnet or seine in SC provided you have a valid fishing license. The seine cannot be larger than 4' x 20' with a maximum mesh size of 1/4". You can only take non-game fish this way. Another thing that you should keep in mind in your area is the presence of off-limits trout streams. Most of the streams in the NW corner of the state north of I-85 and west of I-26 are deemed trout streams and you may only fish in these streams with hook and line and only with the appropriate trout stamps. You do not want to be caught dipnetting here since the penalties are very harsh, including the possibility of their confiscating your vehicle. You can read more at the link below regarding which streams specifically are trout streams, which fish are considered game fish, the necessary tags needed to use a minnow trap, and basically anything else you would want to know. You can also PM me with any questions or site requests if you would like.

http://www.dnr.sc.go...pdf/fishing.pdf

#3 Guest_jchampagne_*

Guest_jchampagne_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

TStephens and Dustin,

I think it is a great thing that two forum members are from SC? If you haven't noticed, I am too. I actually called the DNR when I first started actively dip netting just over 4 months ago. A DNR field officer told me that dip netting in the Charleston area was fine as well as seine netting. No game fish....But he never mentioned a permit. Thanks for the heads up.

#4 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

Any time you are interested in getting out, just let me know. We get down to Charleston several times a year and are out and about in the rest of the state a couple of times a month.

TStephens and Dustin,

I think it is a great thing that two forum members are from SC? If you haven't noticed, I am too. I actually called the DNR when I first started actively dip netting just over 4 months ago. A DNR field officer told me that dip netting in the Charleston area was fine as well as seine netting. No game fish....But he never mentioned a permit. Thanks for the heads up.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users