cycling a new tank ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

could i speed up the cycle by doing this?
each tank has two filters one eheim canister filter, and one Hagen AquaClear 110.
i plan to remove 30% of the water and 2 gallons of gravel from a set up tank and one old filter then add this to a new tank.
treat the old tank like a normal water change plus add the new filter to it.back to the new tank fill and add small fish and new filter
will this speed up the cycle time some? each tank now has one new filter and one old filter.

#2 Guest_CHBGator_*

Guest_CHBGator_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

If you move an established filter or seeded media from an established filter to a new filter onto a new tank you should be fine, just don't max out the bio load all at once. You shouldn't need to move any substrate over but it will hold more BB than the water. There is some BB in the water column but not enough to make an immediate impact on a new tank like an established filter would.

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

I agree with CHBGator. Move one of the established filters and don't overstock either tank and you're good to go.

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

I agree with CHBGator. Move one of the established filters and don't overstock either tank and you're good to go.

OK and thank you for the help!
new tank will get one established filter a Hagen AquaClear 110, and one new eheim canister filter
plus about 20 gallons of tap water from established tank then salt,water conditioner and two shiners.
and topped off with tap water as this is all i have for now.my hope for this method was to avoid the
massive water changes and time to setup yet another 55gal. my first tank last year took weeks for it
to clear up from the white cloud and then a redish/brown and blueish/green algae set in.
also i no longer hook each tank tandem all have there own water and filters standing alone.
our city water is just to unstable here and its better for the fish in the long run to test the water first
then change it as needed.after a large storm our water is in poor shape, we don't even drink it our selves.
i know enough about long term captive care to get in trouble for sure. water is another mater this i do know something about!
its ? of this nature that made me become a member here.
thanks
tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users