Photo

Florida / Tates Hell

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

Attached File  TatesHell_Logo_09.jpg   52.43KB   15 downloads

With the NANFA 2009 convention being held in Tampa, Florida this is a good opportunity for those who would like to continue a Florida adventure. I have organized several NANFA member gatherings along the "Forgotten Coast" and three times we stayed at Florida State University's Marine Lab which is located just beyond Panacea, Florida. Panacea is about an hour south of Tallahassee which is located about 4 hours north of Tampa. Leaving Tampa and for adventure and shorter mileage i would follow Highway 98 along the coast, after getting off i75 at Ocala above Tampa. This route could be part of our Sunday post-convention collecting trip as it will pass by the Rainbow River, Manatee Spring, Fanning Spring and many other beautiful sites. In fact too many to enjoy in one day.

Attached File  WakulaRiverx.JPG   93.4KB   17 downloads

FSU Marine Lab's gated compound is located right on the coastline looking South into the Gulf of Mexico. It has a wonderful view, interesting facilities to explore and will provide for a comfortable rest and base camp. During past stays we have seined and netted the rivers, barrow pits, ditches and swamps of Tate's Hell which borders the vast Apalachicola National Forest to the North. We have snorkeled the cool, clear waters of the Wakula River and a beautiful spring fed slough lush with plants, fish and life. We dove into and swam the blue waters of the Cherokee sinkholes. We have walked and waded the beaches during low tide mornings, and at night by moonlight or lantern finding coupling Horseshoe Crabs, Sting Rays, the strange Batfish, schools of Killiefish, pulsing Squid and a green eyed Alligator. We have cast nets for Mullet and hooked Speckled Trout from the docks. We have marveled and debated the diversity that lay in our nets. We collected and plunked evergladei into moonshine for Fritz's DNA work. We nearly touched the milky way by night and felt the sun's warmth by day. We re-measured Old Joe at the Wakula Lodge and found the gator's length a bit exaggerated. We rode whales and fiberglass sharks and poked our fingers and arms into places we were told not to. Not yet has one been lost, forgotten or eaten but we've had the finest the sea offered from Blue Crab, Gulf Shrimp and Apalachicola Oysters, to freshly Smoked Mullet and bait shop Squid cleaned, ringed and fried. We climbed the two towers, one for fire and the other of wood and saw the Silver Lake and the vast stand of dwarfed Bald Cypresses. Fish, life and water are everywhere and i have yet to see it all after many trips.

Attached File  FSU_EdSharkx.JPG   56.37KB   15 downloads

With limited space, a few of us have the opportunity to continue the exploration and adventure.

Immediately after the convention, on October 4, 5, 6 and 7 i will organize a return to the Forgotten Coast, staying at the FSU Marine Lab and venturing into Tate's Hell once again.

The gathering will be limited to 10 or 12 dedicated and ethical NANFA Fishheads with advance reservations required. The cost is $200 per person which includes our lodging, the makings for our daily breakfast and roadside lunches, and a variety of snacks and drinks for along the way. At individual expense, on nights we can visit nearby seafood restaurants or perhaps we will cook some freshly caught or locally acquired fish, shrimp, crab or self seined critters in the house's kitchen or outside grill.

Attached File  FSU_Housex.JPG   72.96KB   16 downloads

The weather should be dry and the summer heat gone, and hopefully the pesky yellow flies too. Alternate and backup plans for rainy days are a visit to the Gulf Specimens Marine Lab in Panacea or westward to the Apalachicola Nature Center.

We should encounter a wide variety of fish from Bluefin Killies to Golden Topminnows to Sailfin Shiners. Big and small we have observed well over 35 species of freshwater fish in past visits.

Waders are required for safety in the swamps and snorkel gear suggested for some amazing views in the clear waters of the Wakula spring and river. Caution is a must with alligators, water mocassins and unseen concerns.

Attached File  DuckPondStevenx.JPG   183.32KB   17 downloads

A freshwater fishing license is required, all laws are to be respected and no over collecting will be allowed at the Marine Lab. This gathering is to be experienced for its natural wonder and is not an opportunity for wholesale collecting. Alcohol is prohibited at the lab but quiet evening discretion was accepted during our stays. No smoking in the house. Any alligator wrestling will be readily observed by all. The lodging is a 4 bedroom beach house fitted with bunkbeds, 2 full baths, a nice kitchen and large living area opening to the sea.

Attached File  Steven_CasperSnorkelx.JPG   44.43KB   21 downloads

Send a check for $100. to reserve your space as soon as possible. We are limiting this to 10 or 12 individuals to simplify logistics and housing. Make your check out to NANFA but send it to me, Casper Cox, 1200 Dodds Avenue, Chattanooga, TN, 37404.

Include your address and email address so i can keep you updated. My phone number is 423-624-0721 if you have any questions, or evenings at home after dark, 423-485-9541.

The deposit check is nonrefundable as the house must be reserved in advance and expenses will be incurred. The remaining $100 is due upon your arrival. Any additional monies, after all expenses, will be contributed to NANFA.

You can read about a past adventure in the Summer 2006 American Currents, or in the Spring 2005 issue.

Attached File  CollageColorx.JPG   18.62KB   19 downloads

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#2 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

We had a husband and wife cancel last week and now have space for 2 more, maybe 3 if anyone is interested. There are currently 9 of us committed.
It should be a great time and inspiring adventure. Not too hectic with a bit more focus on relaxation and wonder. I suspect we will want and need this after the very active 3 days and late nights of the Tampa convention.
Tates Hell is beautiful and this time of year should offer comfortable weather and the beach house offers a great base to explore from.
Casper
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#3 NateTessler13

NateTessler13
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

I can hardly wait to hear about this trip! Spill the beans, Casper. :smile2:
Nate Tessler
Environmental Scientist

Link to my NANFA Gallery

#4 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

Well Nate you should have been there.
I dont believe we lost anyone last time i checked though some folks are still in route.
I just returned last night and have been unpacking, organizing and compiling expenses before i return to the real world Monday. Wow, what an adventure, nearly 2 weeks for me. Even after unexpected expenses i think we cleared funds for NANFA.
The group was well rounded and we did most everything i had planned with few exceptions. The weather was varied and offered what is commonly experienced. Rain, double rainbows, beautiful sunsets, starry nights, cool breezes, hot sun, sweltering humidity, biting flies, noseeums, mosquitoes and rusty nails. Beautiful fish pulled from tea colored water like glistening jewels make it all the better.

Im awaiting photos from everyone as Tom will compile a DVD of our pics and videos. I need to write my field notes soon and will decide later on a report or an American Currents article.

The trip went well enough that i might and will consider a Tates Hell 3 next year.

And BTW... The Tampa gatherings was most excellent. Compliments to Brian, Charlie and their crew for a fine time. I enjoyed my best ever convention field trip on that Saturday. The Dutchman's Wizzing Nats Tomato Farm. Clear water, cool snorkel, wonderful hospitality, radiant flowers, amazing critters, tropical fruits, grilling & barbeque, and good fellowship under the pavilion.

Casper
Casper Cox

#5 Bob

Bob
  • Regional Rep

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:14 PM

Sorry I missed it.
Bob

http://www.sonnysfishroom.com

You never know what you're going to find, or where you're going to find it. So keep looking.

#6 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

On my prescout down i ran into Earl gruntin fishing worms. Earthworms. They cant stand the vibration created when steadidly stroking the metal bar across the wooden stake's top. We picked up a gallon can full. Gone Fishing.

Attached File  EarlGruntin-x.JPG   79.83KB   17 downloads

While snorkeling Fanning Springs a school of mullet approached. I thought they were aliens. Later we ate their kin roadside; smoked, deboned and mighty fine.

Attached File  HereTheyCome-x.JPG   39.8KB   20 downloads

Brian Z taught me what this is. I cant hardly believe it. A fancy male trying to harass the camera. We have cousins in Tennessee that dont look much like these Florida Bluegill.

Attached File  FloridaBluegill-x.JPG   24.07KB   15 downloads

Ive never seen so many Harpers Minnows in one place. They were on the move, hundreds, headed downstream. This is a fella proudly displaying his colors. I wish i had taken more time to do him justice. Most folks call them Bluefin Killies nowadays.

Attached File  HarpersMinnow-x.JPG   36.66KB   17 downloads

Edited by Casper Cox, 09 October 2009 - 10:17 PM.

Casper Cox

#7 khudgins

khudgins
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

The journey began in the wilds of forlorn Florida, along an empty coast surrounded by nothing more than wild surf, white squirrels, and the sound of swarms of menacing insects who hunger for the taste of human flesh or blood.

Our intrepid party ventured forth into the wilds of Wakulla, and indulged the locals in their guided jungle cruise where we grew acquainted with dread creatures like the Snake Bird, Gator, and Manatee. We heard the forlorn cries of the moorhen, saw the majestic beauty of the wax myrtle, and marvelled at the ferocity of the jumping mullet. Later that afternoon, the adventure grew personal, with mask to face and snorkel to lips, some of our brave adventurers swam with the fishes, while others gathered them in with their nets. We encountered the mighty Florida Bluegill, the matchless Elassoma, Leptolucania ommata, and the obsequious Pteronotropis metallicus. The day drew close with a bountiful repast in the Old Style, an up-close encounter with the immortalized Old Joe, and a calm retreat to our bastion upon the wild coast, the Beach House.

Day two began with our fearless leader, the ever-hardy and wise Casper Cox, corralling our wandering ways and granting us the wisdom with which we would need to survive our trek into Tate's Hell. Our first venture into the wild forests and swamps of the region gave us pause - even the various plants quivered with the hunger for flesh. Surrounded by pitcher plants and sundews, our brave band waded into the ditches beside the road for our first ichthyological encounter of the day. Enneacanthus obesus graced us with his presence, as well as more Enneacanthus, ommata, and even a Lepomis punctatus, whose scales were stained green with the verdant fury of the lands surrounding us.

We continued into the wild lands of Tate's Hell, stopping only to pause for our mid-day repast, and yet again later for our intrepid leader to pause for a moment to collect his thoughts in order to plan our final assault into the wild. Ditch after ditch, pit after borrow pit, river after creek after culvert after swamp did we wade, looking for the holy fish that was our leader's quest: Enneacanthus gloriosus, the majestic blue-spotted sunfish. Find him we did not, but our adventure was not in vain, for we swam with an alligator (several hundred yards away), ran with a fox (although only a few of us, and those few mounted upon a mighty steed known far and wide as Casper's minivan), and netted many fishes for further perusal and study. The waters were high that day, and the fish widely swimming, so that our nets were not brimming full of fish as we had been led to believe, although our harvests were still yet mighty, and no one left without burgeoning minnow buckets.

The day concluded with a final drink atop the magical boardwalk above the dwarf cypresses, amidst the mosquitos and hummingbird moths, whereby our intrepid leader did call forth a majestic sunset, his artist's brush was stilled by the mightiest brush of all, and we were overawed by the splendor that was displayed before us. We found a greater fish than the gloriosus, indeed, we were graced by the black-sided sky darter, whose very shadow darkened the sky and humbled out spirits.

Our final day brought us to the wise sages of the Gulf Coast Marine Lab, where we were presented with very personal displays of creatures summoned from the deep. We fed the sharks, were taught of turtles, and discovered that the blue crab is indeed the most viscious of all creation. A finer small marine aquarium I have never seen, and yet the day was young. We ventured forth to Hutton's, a humble establishment barely a shack, and yet capable of frying seafood of the best and freshest varieties. Grouper burgers and soft-shelled crabs were the orders of the day, and a leisurely meal fit for kings we supped upon, cooled by the placement of box fans upon our outdoor tables, all courtesy of the establishment.

It was here our tale takes a dark turn. Dissappointed at the lack of serpentine presence in our journey, the ever-jubilant and unstoppable Pierre, a knight of reknown whose virtue may not be besmirched, asked your humble servant to accompany him in rectifying this absence. Girded with net and pole, I followed our knight as he uncovered potential nests without abandon, overturning pallets and wooden conveyances without fear and eagerness to view the serpent. Alas, our search was for naught, and, returning to the rest of the party, it was here that I was felled by the cruelest of blows. A simple nail, rendered vertical by way of the wood to which it were affixed, did sorely aggrieve my foot, piercing sandal and sole and skin. Pierre, that noble knight, had already brought clean towels of paper to hand, and the wound was stanched forthwith. I was brought before the local leechminder, whom did apply the traditional poultices to fend off tetanic lockjaw, by the noble Fritz and his fair maid Mary Jo. A more patient and kind pair was never wed, and they did convey me back to our bastion upon the beach to rest my sore hackles until our final feast. The rest of our party continued their adventure, for wounds and travails must be overcome. They ventured to the Lake of the Otter, and encountered the esteemed Fuldulus chrystotus, as well as other small specimens. James, our errant companion from the far wilds of California, did succeed on his quest for the floridae, chancing an encounter with his inestimable wife Patti's extended clan, whose emporium traded in wisdom as much as wares. The honorable Tom, with his companion and wife Lanita, did journey forth upon the quest to conquer the white squirrel with photographs and the fish in buckets, aerator in tow.

Finally, we settled into our final repast, a gumbo which satisfied every palate, despite the lack of okra which would otherwise have completed the meal. We were accompanied by Dave, the chef and guide, and erstwhile companion to our leader, fond friends for many years, cruelly separated by fate, and yet rejoined this day by fond companionship; and Ace, forester and champion of the state's division, and his wife whose name your humble servant cannot remember, a crime for which he most certainly will be flogged, for her wisdom and beauty enlightened us all. We heard tales of Casper's youth, learned of ancient people's treasures, marvelled at pictures of tortoises from far lands, and finished with a finely frozen key lime pie.

This is a journey which will be writ large upon the heavens, long remembered in memory, and the fish enjoyed for many a year in tank and pond and photojournal.

Thus endeth my tale.

#8 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

A Gulf swamp or spring system will always produce fun stuff. That makes me think towards the opposite direction; when's the return to the Rooster Scratch?
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#9 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:10 PM

Oh my God!
Where did you learn to speak of such and in all truth and in no exageration?
With that, you will always be welcome at my side.
:)
I am humbled and bow deeply.

Behold. The Sky Darter.

Attached File  SkyDarter-x.JPG   22.08KB   26 downloads

And the fearsome Coyote of the East and the rabbit's submission.

Attached File  Dominance&Submission-x.JPG   21.67KB   18 downloads

And gathered members of the hardy clan, survivors all.

Attached File  TheClan2-x.JPG   76.19KB   17 downloads
Casper Cox

#10 schambers

schambers
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Thus endeth my tale.

What admirable prose! I am humbled. Also envious. I want to go on one of these trips so badly it hurts. Some day I will.
Susan

Toledo Reef Aquarium Club - And Freshwater Too!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

#11 NateTessler13

NateTessler13
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:28 AM

On my prescout down i ran into Earl gruntin fishing worms...

Casper, great photos. The Striped Mullet sure are some strange looking fish. Brian and I ran into a large school of them (possibly 100 fish) on the Santa Fe River right where the river mixed with the effluent of a large spring. Did you notice their feeding habits? We were able to extract small amounts of periphyton from the rocks, put them on tiny hooks (size #16), and drift our "bait" in the current. The mullet were readily eating our algal offerings. I did enjoy seeing the Florida strain of Bluegill also. They definitely have red tones in their fins with white outlines, and all that is coupled with distinct vertical striping...but I guess it doesn't take me much to get excited about fish, right?
Nate Tessler
Environmental Scientist

Link to my NANFA Gallery

#12 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:39 AM

Nate...
I did not see any mullet feeding tho i understand they are one of 2 species that has a gizzard. The grinding organ is considered a table treat down in the panhandle.
I enjoyed meeting you at the convention and look forward to doing so again. Lots of neat fish to see everywhere!

Casper
Casper Cox

#13 khudgins

khudgins
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

Nate - I did swim in a school of mullet at Wakulla Springs park, and noticed that (at least here) they sould scoop up a bit of sand and after some mastication, would expel the sand through their gills.

Was kinda cool to watch. Strange looking fish, but at least they're tasty.

#14 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

Mystery Snake...
This has been debated and yet i am still mystified.
I believe i can clearly see a slit in his pupil but where is the rattler? Its flat looking.
It was docile and i took several photos of it, maybe got too close.
Its head was not diamond, nor venomous looking.
Tates Hell, the panhandle of Florida.

Attached File  TatesHellSnake.JPG   146.04KB   17 downloads

Attached File  TatesHellSnakeNet.JPG   61.46KB   18 downloads

I dont want to say what others have thought. I know some of you are snake handlers.

Edited by Casper Cox, 21 October 2009 - 06:47 PM.

Casper Cox

#15 blakemarkwell

blakemarkwell
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

I'm no snake expert and I am not familiar with herps of that region, but it looks like a pygmy rattlesnake.

Blake
Blake Markwell
Sangamon River

#16 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

Another non-expert here, but in that second photo, the shape of the head screams cottonmouth to me. I know they are usually much darker colored than that, but there is a lot of variation in color too. I have a friend who is a huge snake guy, I will send him a link to the pictures and see if he has any ideas.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#17 farmertodd

farmertodd
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

Isn't that a southern hognose?

http://www.uga.edu/s...akes/hetsim.htm

Todd "Herp Eye for the Fish Guy" Crail
The Muddy Maumee Madness
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
http://www.farmertodd.com

#18 blakemarkwell

blakemarkwell
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

The coloration is sure spot on for the southern hognose, but I don't know about about the head shape. That would definitely explain the lack of the rattle. Ahh... what the heck do I know?

Blake
Blake Markwell
Sangamon River

#19 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

I agree with Todd that it looks more like a hognose than any venomous snake. They're surprisingly robust snakes with a blunt head. But usually they're too shy to just hang out on a net like that in the open... at least without pooping all over everything.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#20 natureman187

natureman187
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Stellar trip fellas. Great commentary and photos for sure. I have a hat just like Earl's btw.

I'd go with the hognose id. That head shape perfectly resembles the easterns I ran across over the summer. Neat snakes, especially when they get spooked.

Sangamon River Valley