I have a floating minnow bucket with the holes and the spring lid already,
Heres my gear
25' by 4' seine
2 dip nets
cast net
2 wire minnow traps
tons of buckets
2 of those floating minnow buckets with the holes and the spring lid

I visit Lake Pontchartrain pretty frequently, ive caught naked gobys, but I havent caught any other gobys or blennies.
In Alabama I caught clown gobys in Shelby Lake. They didnt do real well though.
Thanks for the help,
James

The nets I use have 6' long handle and a wide opening but of course small holes. K-Mart in my area sells them for around $23. It will catch all but the tiniest blennies, gobies and filefish. I catch Sergeant Majors but they bully most everything in the tank.

Edited by wvairman, 11 July 2009 - 03:29 PM.

#22 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

Sounds like you catch some nice stuff, unfortunately i am really limited because my tank is only brackish, but I was reading and it seems like the striped blenny would do fine in brackish. My tank is only slightly brackish, but im soon going to be making it more salty. Do you think he would be fine in 1.010 specific gravity? I know my naked goby does great in my very low salt content brackish water.

#23 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

Oops, accidently pressed the sumbit post button 2 times.

Edited by Amazon, 11 July 2009 - 04:28 PM.

#24 Guest_wvairman_*

Guest_wvairman_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

Sounds like you catch some nice stuff, unfortunately i am really limited because my tank is only brackish, but I was reading and it seems like the striped blenny would do fine in brackish. My tank is only slightly brackish, but im soon going to be making it more salty. Do you think he would be fine in 1.010 specific gravity? I know my naked goby does great in my very low salt content brackish water.

They should be fine, look up clingfish when you get the chance. They sort of resemble a tadpole, you might like them as well.

#25 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

What kind of clingfish do I have hear? they seem interesting Im probably going to buy the fishes of the gulf of mexico book because I need a guide for brackish fish to.

Edited by Amazon, 11 July 2009 - 04:53 PM.

#26 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

Keep poking around the oyster beds and sooner or later you'll turn up an oyster toadfish. I've got 'em scooping blindly through clumps of weed around the shell beds. Pretty sure you'll have them where you are.
Very cool fish but has a big mouth. Also has the pickeral habit of grabbing fish too big to swallow. Once he mouths it for awhile and spits it out, it's doomed.

Is the water ever clear enough to snorkel? You'd triple or better your species number if you could peek in and around the spots your nets won't reach. If you're getting sargent majors, you should see other damsals as well as butterflies and maybe grey angels if you can look around the jetties. Try dock and bridge pilings too. Try spot lighting dock pilings at night. Look for current and structure. Only boring fish swim in the open. :wink:

#27 Guest_wvairman_*

Guest_wvairman_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

What kind of clingfish do I have hear? they seem interesting Im probably going to buy the fishes of the gulf of mexico book because I need a guide for brackish fish to.

the Skilletfish (Gobiesox strumosus) lol about the Toadfish, if you catch a big one keep your hands away from his mouth.

#28 Guest_wvairman_*

Guest_wvairman_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

Keep poking around the oyster beds and sooner or later you'll turn up an oyster toadfish. I've got 'em scooping blindly through clumps of weed around the shell beds. Pretty sure you'll have them where you are.
Very cool fish but has a big mouth. Also has the pickeral habit of grabbing fish too big to swallow. Once he mouths it for awhile and spits it out, it's doomed.

Is the water ever clear enough to snorkel? You'd triple or better your species number if you could peek in and around the spots your nets won't reach. If you're getting sargent majors, you should see other damsals as well as butterflies and maybe grey angels if you can look around the jetties. Try dock and bridge pilings too. Try spot lighting dock pilings at night. Look for current and structure. Only boring fish swim in the open. :wink:

I agree with your comment. If you walk along the beach you will mainly just catch pompano, permits, and croakers. They're OK I guess.

#29 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

yeah I definantly want to get a few of those skilletfish. Now about oyster toadfish. Yeahh weve caught tons of em on hook and line. I dont think im going to keep them because they will eat all my fish and will outgrow my 20g :sad2: All my fish are small- sheepshead minnows, bayou killifish, naked goby, etc. What other brackish blennys are in my area?

#30 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

Alright this weekend i am hopefully gonna get a blenny. I am going full out search on these things. We are going to search for them in Bayou Bienvenue which connects to saltwater Lake Borgne. The only problem is I have no idea where any shallow oyster beds are, no idea where any sea grass beds are, and the boat dock we will be at is more freshwater than salt. i will be using a dip net and I will set up minnow traps in hopes of catching some blennys that went into the boat launch. When we fish for trout and stuff we always snag large clumps of oysters but even if there are oysters down where we fish its to deep. I always catch gobys but never a blenny. hopefully i can this week.
Any tips or suggestions are well appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users