Saffron & Scarlet Shiner

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:56 PM

I came home from the grocery tonight and my newest (3 week in capitivy) Saffron was hot orange/red. Up until tonight, I thought this fish was a female because it wasn't showing much color. I wish the camera could capture the color of these fish. I couldn't get a good pic of my Warpaint. He's still hanging in there after 3 weeks. He oddly hangs out at the upper part of the tank (not at the surface, but the upper 1/3 of the water column).

This is a cool pic, Saffron and Scarlet
Posted Image

Saffron w/ Snubnose on the bottom
Posted Image

Saffron
Posted Image

Scarlet w/ SRDB and Saffron in the background
Posted Image

Scarlet
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

It doesn't look like it in the photos, but is either the scarlet or saffron male tuberculate?

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

It doesn't look like it in the photos, but is either the scarlet or saffron male tuberculate?

The Scarlet was when I caught him, a couple weeks ago.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

I've notice scarlets are tuberclate in middle TN from about the second week of June for about a month.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

In north Alabama we start finding tuberculate male scarlets in the middle of May, and will through middle August. GSI in both males and females jumps up in early May, so there's a slight lag between gonadal maturation and tubercle development. It's probably safe to invoke the effects of 11-ketotestosterone (everybody's favorite androgen).

#6 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:07 PM

I just brought a scarlet shiner home today. That is one nervous fish, seems to dart about and change direction more dramatically than, say, the srbd's I have in the tank. It has pinked up nicely.

Wish I could find a saffron shiner. Very pretty.

#7 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:17 AM

Those are some wicked-cool fish, Josh!

Brian

#8 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

I have noticed for the past 2-3 weeks, my large scarlet shiner (pictured) has become a less aggresive eater and doesn't actively go for food. He appears to still be fat, but isn't eating like he did. He will open & close his mouth fast when I'm feeding, and I wonder if he's getting a lot of little pieces of food. He also tends to stay in one area of the tank, out of the current.

My other Scarlet doesn't act this way. Anybody have any comments on Scarlet behavior? He appears to be a full adult that just went through breeding season, this could be his last stand I suppose. That's the risk you take when you bring home a large adult.

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

I'd say it's his last stand. Large alpha male scarlets like him defend loosely defined territories out of the main current for breeding, and I'm sure he's still under the influence of elevated hormones like 11-ketotestosterone (everyones' favorite).

#10 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:54 PM

On the other hand he may be infected with some kind of internal parasites. Some of my cyprinids and cichlids had either sunken or very big belly [the one with sunken stomach snapped at food but tend not to swallow], and they responded to praziquantel at 2mg/l [no other medication mixed in] by releasing a bunch of white worms of various sizes within a few hours and regained their appetite a few days after.

Edited by tricolor, 04 August 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

Scarlet from the Cumberland drainage in middle TN were almost always filled with some sort of parasite. After a few weeks to month in captivity they would have a drastic decline in health unless heavily medicated until we dissected several and started treating things with formalin before putting in a community or lab tank.

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

What parasites (broadly) did you find in the scarlets? I don't think we've encountered that with scarlets from Tenn. tribs in north 'bama, but we have found huge variability in the infestation rates of a Dactylogyrus species gill fluke (and it's still an undescribed species at that, for the moment).

#13 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Suggestions on Medication to use?

#14 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

I'm guessing Tricolor Tony is correct. I've had similar experience with wild shiners and dace after a few weeks in captivity. Praziquantel, Metronizazole, or Flubendazole might work. Parasite Guard, General Cure, and several other LFS meds contain prazi and/or metron. I've had good results with Flubendazole; seems to be very fish-safe, and kills hydra, velvet and ich too. I dont know any commercial fish meds that contain it, but Charles Harrison sells it. http://www.inkmkr.co...emsForSale.html

#15 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

The Scarlet is holding steady and was a bit more active today, but still doesn't have that 'large shiner' aggressive feeding attitude.

However, something has came over my oldest, biggest Saffron. Twice this past week, I've came home and he'll be glowing with color. I mean, the yellow stripe will be neon and the red body will be glowing bright with color. I don't know what's come over him but he has been pumped. He will chase the other Saffron and the two mid-juveniles around and he will kinda nose around on their under-bellies. I suppose this is some kind of mating thing going on. Also, when he's been like this, the SRBD's will turn blood red too. Maybe it's the addition of some plants that are making them feel more like they are in their natural habitat. Whatever it is, it's exciting to see those colors exploding.

Here's some bad pics of the saffron when his colors were up. The camera does capture the beauty and colors.

Posted Image

Big male is the one in the back
Posted Image

#16 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

"Minnows" release a whole slew of reproductive hormones that can affect members of other species, too. Ridiculously small amounts of these chemicals (10(-7) molar or less) will have dramatic affects on behavior. I'd say that your alpha saffron is dripping with these chemicals.

#17 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

I guess these chemicals affect the other minnows also as my SRBD's are staying red about all day long. It hasn't seems to affected my darter though. I am enjoying the colorful show though :smile2:

What do you think brings this on? Could it have been the simple addition on plants?

#18 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

I would guess the color-up is independent of the addition of plants. I think that daylight is still the right length, water temperature is right, and they're well-fed in clean water. Darters are distantly enough related so that they're much less sensitive to hormones released by cyprinids like saffrons, in my scheme.

#19 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:41 AM

Have you noticed any specific captive requirements on your Saffrons? They are looking great and seem to be quite happy.

They're one of the fish that is really driving me to want a nice TN tank. The aquarium in Chattanooga had a great display full of them. One of these days I'm going to have to get down there and get some stock for the empty 75 in my basement.

#20 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

Have you noticed any specific captive requirements on your Saffrons? They are looking great and seem to be quite happy.

They're one of the fish that is really driving me to want a nice TN tank. The aquarium in Chattanooga had a great display full of them. One of these days I'm going to have to get down there and get some stock for the empty 75 in my basement.

Not really, my Alpha male has been doing great for a year. I have another and two juveniles that all seem to be happy. They like schooling together. I did have a couple die on me shortly after bringing them home, but I think that was due to the water in the bucket getting too hot on the drive home. My big male enjoys the current from the powerheads as he stays and swims in the current most of the day. They took to tank life and feeding fairly quickly and seems to be hardy once acclimated.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users