• Guests

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

Stillwater River, Sterling Massachusetts

Posted Image

#2 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

I was gonna say an atlantic salmon parr, but the adipose fin is orange... its most likely a young brown trout

Edited by panfisherteen, 12 July 2009 - 05:04 PM.

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

it could be an Atlantic Salmon Parr, was the tips of the tail pointed or rounded?

not really sure...i had it out only for a second...snapped a cell pic (forgot the good camera) and let him go...its funny cuz i saw lots of them...i thought they were tesselated darters the was they were on the rocks....3 hours trying to catch them then i realised it was not darter hah

#4 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:42 AM

Ooh, from MA.

Well, what I can tell you is that MA does not have any breeding Salmon maybe except for the landlocked ones. Salmon going upriver (I think the Meriamck River is the only river in MA where they return to) are taken to a hatchery to be stripped of eggs when they reach a fish lift. The males are stripped of milt and the eggs are mixed with the milt. The eggs are then hatched and released when they are fry (not alevin). They also send some to middle schools for the ASERP program. The only river that I know of for that program is the merrimack river. Most of them don't make it because the pH of the water inhibits their ability to regulate the amount of salt in their bodies and they die during the transition to saltwater. New England's acid rain is the culprit.

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

The Stillwater has breeding landlocked salmon from Wachuset res.
Also wild brown and brook trout.
Coulda been any of those.

#6 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

out in nova scotia atlantic salmon ID is key, it doesnt have a clear adipose fin so it isnt a LL salmon, and the coloration doesnt suggest brook trout (at least telling by the blur), so im sticking to my guns :fishy:

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

Yeah I meant to post early that there are breeding salmon in there. As well as the quinapoxit (spelling) river I think. But I think there are other streams that have breeding salmon. Listed as cold water fisheries on the website as meeting one of 3 criterias. Mikez do you wanna go out sometime and collect? Ill be at the cape next week and know nothing about where to go if you could go to the cape. That would be cool. :)

#8 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

My time is too limited currently.

PMed a suggestion for the Cape.

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

ok....ill be waitin on that PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic