E. sanguifluum

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:33 PM

From the lower Cumberland, won't be more specific than that, lest some cretin start finding these on an 'indian reservation' and putting them on aquabid.

Found quite a few bloodfins, along with E camrum. Interesting that the bloodfin bears a closer resemblance to a redline than anything.

This guy just wouldn't come out for a proper photo, so this one is a bit fuzzy. Perhaps in a week or so they'll overcome their shyness.

Posted Image

I believe this is the female

Posted Image

And speaking of E. camrum, I brought back this proud fellow

Posted Image

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:58 AM

From the lower Cumberland, won't be more specific than that, lest some cretin start finding these on an 'indian reservation' and putting them on aquabid.

Found quite a few bloodfins, along with E camrum. Interesting that the bloodfin bears a closer resemblance to a redline than anything.

This guy just wouldn't come out for a proper photo, so this one is a bit fuzzy. Perhaps in a week or so they'll overcome their shyness.

Posted Image

I believe this is the female

Posted Image

And speaking of E. camrum, I brought back this proud fellow

Posted Image

i really like all of these. i need to get a more manly bigger darter. lol

#3 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

i really like all of these. i need to get a more manly bigger darter. lol

Well, I tossed back an enormous greenside on that trip. That thing was a whale.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

I think your female is a female bluebreast and not a bloodfin. I'm not sure you mean lower Cumberland either because they are not found really anywhere but the middle to upper Cumberland drainage, i.e. upstream of Nashville. Ben Keck, the Stones population is extirpated, correct?

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

I believe that would probably be the Middle Cumberland.

#6 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

I agree, definitely not a female bloodfin, but female E. camurum instead.

Nice fish though, gotta love Nothonotus.

Blake

#7 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

Ah, I was being a bit KY centric here. Mid Cumberland it is, lower KY.

#8 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:35 PM

I was surprised at the number of Bloodfins we caught, male and female. I was under the impression that they were uncommon. I guess they are a little more common within their limited range.

#9 Guest_bpkeck_*

Guest_bpkeck_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

Bloodfins are usually pretty abundant where you find them, but they have disappeared from some of their historical range. In those pictures the female is definitely a Bluebreast Darter, Nothonotus camurus. Female Bloodfins, N. sanguifluus, have black dots in the dorsal and tail fins, much like the Redline Darter, N. rufilineatus. I've noticed that small male N. sanguifluus that are just starting to mature and get some color can look an awful lot like small N. rufilineatus, and this has caused a few misidentifications. Interestingly, I have never collected N. sanguifluus with N. rufilineatus and I haven't found any records of such sympatry. There are now only N. rufilineatus in several historic N. sanguifluus river systems. The Stones R. is in the range of the Finescale Darter, N. microlepidus, which is the sister species of N. sanguifluus; however, N. microlepidus has been extirpated from the type locality which is in the lower Stones R., and that might be what Matt is thinking of.

#10 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

The bloodfins have turned out to be quite moody, given to being either very light or very dark. If they're light, they go dark at feeding time. Interesting to note that even when dark, they have a light stripe running down their top.

#11 Guest_lotsoffish_*

Guest_lotsoffish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

What kind of cretin would do something like that?

#12 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

I finally got around to getting a few pics of my Bloodfin Darter. He's an interesting fellow that stays in one area of the tank unless I'm around. He does get chased by my big Redline a little. It's strange that my Redline was fairly passive until the Bloodfin arrived. I guess sometimes 2 darters just don't like each other. I keep telling my wife that Darters are kinda like people, in that they each have difference personalities.

E. Sanguifluum
Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like a meany, but kinda a weeny
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users