Dan River drainage trip report

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

Here's a few pix i shot yesterday at the Dan River in Stokes Co NC: satinfin shiner, riverweed darter, and glassy darter. A great day sampling and lotsa beautiful fish, although we never did find a bigeye jumprock or orangefin madtom. I seined with Jeff, Diana, Rachel and Valley, and caught the following spp. Fritz, Dustin, Drew, Derek and John worked with a backpack shocker are of course got more spp.

Fishes Seined 12 July 2009 in Dan River, Stokes Co and Mayo R, Rockingham Co (composite list):
Shiners: White, Crescent, Swallowtail, Satinfin, Rosefin, Redlip.
Rosyside Dace, Bluehead chub, Bull chub?, Notchlip redhorse, V-lip redhorse, Northern hogsucker, Roanoke hogsucker?,
Blacktip jumprock, Margined Madtom, Smallmouth bass, Redbreast sunfish.
Darters: Roanoke, Riverweed, Johnny, Glassy.

Attached Images

• Cypr.analostana.DanR.Danbury.018cr.jpg
  • Etheo.podostemone_Dan_nc704.026cr.jpg
  • Etheo.vitreum.Dan_nc704.031cr.jpg

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

Those of us who only collected blisters from painting and sanding all weekend would like more information about the weekend...

#3 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

Got in late last night so I'll try to get a report up tonight. I don't have the pics so you may have to use your imagination.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

That riverweed is a nice looking darter... I could look up the information, but could you tell us a tlittle bit more about that darter? Binomial, similar to or related to, habitat, etc. Looks almost like a snubnose to me, but it may be the photo. I really like that look though. Tell us more...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

Etheostoma podostemone found in only a few (3 or 4) 8 digit HUC/watersheds. Habitat often associated with riverweed. Can't think of a subgenus off the top of my head...

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

The subgenus is Boleosoma.

#7 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

Yes, they are in the same group as the stunning johnny and tessellated darters. The riverweed and longfin (longimanum) darters though are both good looking fishes as evidenced in Gerald's photo.

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

Drew - If you want to move the posts from #54 forward out of "Local Edition" and into "Trip Reports" please do so. Just realized i should have started a new Dan-Roanoke sampling thread there instead of continuing here. And maybe insert a "Go To" post at the end of this thread. Gerald

#9 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

Beautiful pictures and fishes that I have not seen .....yet! The time will come where I make a Virginia and Carolina victory lap to visit all the wonderful fishes you guys have there. Man, that darter is something and that male can't be in nuptial colors at this time of year, can it? Riverweed and longfin darters are something else, I have always admired them in pictures!

Blake

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:02 AM

If you want to see Longfin darter (plus lots of Mtn redbelly dace, rosyside dace, torrent sucker, etc) consider this: http://www.naturecamp.net/ Click on 2009 Adult Session, Aug 21-25, in green box near the bottom. Nature Camp is about 20 mi N of Lexington VA, in the Geo.Wash Nat Forest on a trib of South River, which runs into Maury River and then James River. It's only $210. and they feed you very well for 4 days, Fri eve thru Monday.

Beautiful pictures and fishes that I have not seen .....yet! The time will come where I make a Virginia and Carolina victory lap to visit all the wonderful fishes you guys have there. Man, that darter is something and that male can't be in nuptial colors at this time of year, can it? Riverweed and longfin darters are something else, I have always admired them in pictures!

Blake

#11 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

Blacktip jumprock
Blacktip_jumprock_2.jpg

Blue Ridge sculpin
Blue_Ridge_sculpin.jpg

Bluehead chub
Bluehead_chub_2.jpg
Bluehead_chub_head.jpg

Bull chub
Bull_chub.jpg
Bull_chub_head.jpg

Satinfin shiner
Satinfin_shiner_2.jpg

Crescent shiner
Crescent_shiner_2.jpg

White shiner
White_shiner.jpg

Cutlips minnow
Cutlips_minnow.jpg

Mountain redbelly dace
Mountain_redbelly_dace_2.jpg

Rosefin shiner
Rosefin_shiner.jpg

Redlip shiner
Redlip_shiner.jpg
Redlip_shiner_2.jpg

Roanoke darter
Roanoke_darter.jpg

Chainback darter
Chainback_darter.jpg

Riverweed darter
Riverweed_darter.jpg

Redbreast
Redbreast.jpg

Mayo River
Mayo_River.jpg

#12 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

Nice pictures as always Dustin, always a pleasure to see the fishes of the Carolinas.

Blake

Edited by blakemarkwell, 16 July 2009 - 08:03 PM.

#13 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:29 PM

Nice pics and cool fish. Sounds like a fun sampling trip and the waters look easy to navigate.

That Riverweed is a cool looking darter. Are the sides of the Roanoke blue? That's a nice darter too. That's also a wide variety of shiners/minnow found there as well. Where they all collected from one location?

#14 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:08 AM

The rosefin is nicer than I thought :smile2: So the mrbd is out of breeding season?

#15 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:35 AM

Thanks for your time, you showed lots of fish i my self have never seen. very cool!

#16 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:37 AM

Vahry nice-ah!

I'm especially keen on the Nocomis head shots. That is some nice work.

Todd

#17 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:31 AM

Here's another 2 pics of a Roanoke darter male from the Neuse near Raleigh in late April, one with flash, one without. They can look blue-green to gold-green depending on lighting. Many of the Dan/Mayo ones had brighter yellow-orange on the belly than the Neuse ones i usually see, reminiscent of a mini tangerine darter.

Nice pics and cool fish. Sounds like a fun sampling trip and the waters look easy to navigate. That Riverweed is a cool looking darter. Are the sides of the Roanoke blue? That's a nice darter too. That's also a wide variety of shiners/minnow found there as well. Where they all collected from one location?

Attached Images

• Percina.roanokae.DSC03027cr.jpg
  • Percina.roanokae.DSC03028cr2.jpg

#18 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

Awesome stuff guys. Nice to see some different fish. That's quite the beautiful place.

#19 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

I'm a sucker for Nocomis and those are some really cool ones, nice work Dustin!

Blake

#20 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

Wow, everybody... Yall have some very nice pics of some very nice fish. The hat is off.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users