Thoughts on Koi in local pond?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:36 AM

I've found a pretty decent spot to start honing my fishing skills, however besides the normal fish you would expect there are several very large koi who swim in this pond. The question being: Are these koi going to be harmful to the native fish? Should I remove them all from the pond if given the chance? What is the best way to remove koi from said pond? I'm at a loss, someone dumped some pets it seems but I'm not sure if I should remove them or let nature take its course. I know a lot of people talk about throwing out certain carp when they are caught so I thought I'd ask ;)

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:43 AM

Is this a public or private pond? Isolated or connected to a watershed?

Edited by Newt, 17 July 2009 - 07:43 AM.

#3 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

Is this a public or private pond? Isolated or connected to a watershed?

Public, Isolated

#4 Guest_Keith C._*

Guest_Keith C._*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

Rather than just killing them, if you catch them, I suggest putting them on Craigslist or another site and selling them.
I got $150.00 for a 32 inch tri-color koi I caught last year, that I sold on Craigslist.
Crushed wheaties, with strawberry jello and a little water is what I used as a dough bait.
It works great on regular carp too.
Keith

#5 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

Rather than just killing them, if you catch them, I suggest putting them on Craigslist or another site and selling them.
I got $150.00 for a 32 inch tri-color koi I caught last year, that I sold on Craigslist.
Crushed wheaties, with strawberry jello and a little water is what I used as a dough bait.
It works great on regular carp too.
Keith

I'm already looking for a kiddie pool to house the koi until I can find buyers, there are like 8 koi in the pond, so I hoped to make a decent profit off of this at least... I didn't plan on killing them but some people would get upset with me taking these fish for profit as well as the environmental benefit... ;)

#6 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

Are you sure that their not just orange common carp?

#7 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

I'm not sure orange common carp come in white/black/gold tricolor, I'm 100% sure they are koi, it is a very small pond and I don't think common carp could even be there in the first place.

#8 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

Bing I got a kiddie pool thats 10X6X2 so it should work well to hold them til I sell ;)

#9 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:13 AM

Bing I got a kiddie pool thats 10X6X2 so it should work well to hold them til I sell ;)

You might want to keep that pool covered, I have heard they are prone to jumping when first introduced. No direct experience with them though so not sure, but it pays to be cautious.

#10 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

You might want to keep that pool covered, I have heard they are prone to jumping when first introduced. No direct experience with them though so not sure, but it pays to be cautious.

Large tarp is already around back, need it for the coons to :P

#11 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

These guys are hard to fish... Almost had one but they are very wary of taking the bread/cherries I'm tossing. I'm honestly just half considering a big net and waiting for em to come to the surface and just scoop em up.

#12 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

Try corn coated in vanilla extract

Koi are simply common carp that are brightly colored

You need to remove them from the pond

#13 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

Any of dozens of special recipes work. I like plain ole generic instant oatmeal from the bargin store. Mix with pond water to make paste. Form a handfull of marble sized balls and throw them in as chum where you can observe them. Use a small light wire treble with no weight and no leader. Put a dough ball on the treble and toss it in front of the fish when you can see them grubbing in your chum. Watch for one to move over the bait and suck it in. Hit 'em hard and fast and hang on!
All in the interest of preserving the native species of course. :wink:

#14 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

Try corn coated in vanilla extract

Koi are simply common carp that are brightly colored

You need to remove them from the pond

Working on it ;) They are tricky, going to buy a net tonight before I go out. If anyone official shows up hopefully they will understand I'm trying to net invasive not there to use the net to harm native fauna.

Any of dozens of special recipes work. I like plain ole generic instant oatmeal from the bargin store. Mix with pond water to make paste. Form a handfull of marble sized balls and throw them in as chum where you can observe them. Use a small light wire treble with no weight and no leader. Put a dough ball on the treble and toss it in front of the fish when you can see them grubbing in your chum. Watch for one to move over the bait and suck it in. Hit 'em hard and fast and hang on!
All in the interest of preserving the native species of course. :wink:

I'll grab some oatmeal on the way there I think, when I pick up the net :P Gonna be fun to fight these ones, I've fought some large bullheads/trout/bass so we'll see how these koi go!

#15 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

Got the first one, the biggest of the 3 white koi. Still 2 more white and 4 more black ones in the pond...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Any ideas on treating a large fish like this for the damage to his scales/fins and whatnot? Pictures show pretty well... I just netted him near the shore, no hook yay, he's a heavy fish, probably 20+ lbs if I compare to my little overweight dog lOL

#16 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:55 PM

Looks like VHS to me!

#17 Guest_Carptracker_*

Guest_Carptracker_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

Koi ARE orange common carp. Or at least, they can be orange and they always are common carp.

#18 Guest_Carptracker_*

Guest_Carptracker_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

These guys are hard to fish... Almost had one but they are very wary of taking the bread/cherries I'm tossing. I'm honestly just half considering a big net and waiting for em to come to the surface and just scoop em up.

Learn to tie a Hair-rig. Go to carp angler's group web page and get instructions on their website. Makes a huge difference on wary carp. No hook in the bait.

#19 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

Looks like VHS to me!

The fish died later that night, it was really bad and treatment was not fast enough. I tried though, the other 7 are still in the pond, rain has been gross and I haven't been able to see into the water at all, looking to get a cast net though, seems a bit easier..
The bad news is a catfish pulled out of that pond also had VHS, horrible =/

#20 Guest_blackfish_*

Guest_blackfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:09 AM

Beautiful fish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users