HWY 64

26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

Here are some pics from my 3 day wander. I snorkeled 4 sites and counted, and i think correctly IDed, most of the 36 species i noted. There are probably a few more species that i am unsure of.
Some of the photos are ok, some are blurry. Im having problems controling the autofocus, extending the depth of field and losing color, it washing out in longer shots. I also need to "expose" quicker as moving fish are especially tough and blur easily even when moving the camera in sync. A hot flash bounces back any particals in the water turning the pic whitish. Very tricky. Still though the camera offers nice features and im much enjoying playing with it. I took over 627 snaps and deleted them down to about 125 and here are 15 of the better, more interesting ones especially regarding unique species. I have much to refine in the use but my observation tricks and skills of the past came in handy. The camera is awesome in how long the battery holds up. All the pics were shot on 3 overnight charges. A trip to Wally World got an extra battery for next time and new lens for my mask.

Noted...
Hogsuckers
Stonerollers, common.
Redhorse
Sculpin
Bluntnose Minnows
Madtom (?)
Topminnows: Northern Studfish ( breeding males ), Black Stripped or Spotted
Dace: Rosyside, Blacknose, Southern Redbellied ( in color )
Shiners: Stripe ( common ), Scarlet ( in color ), Whitetail ( in color ), Mountain ( blue shining heads ), Spotfin or Steelcolor ( piced ), Tennessee ( just a touch of color when they got excited ), Telescope (?)
Darters: Orangethroat, Rainbow, Redline, Logperch, Blenny, Greenside, Blotchside, Fantail (?), Snubnose (TN, Cumberland ?), Banded ( 1, i think in the vegetation )
Sunfish: Longear, Bluegill, Rockbass, Smallmouth Bass, LM Bass (?), Redbreast (?)
Chubs: Redtail, Bigeye, Creek

3 sites were crystal clear, the 4th had about 10' of visibility but a few miles downstream with the recent logging, reduced visibilty to only 2 or 3 feet. Sadness, dispair. One critical stretch has economic stimulus money cutting trees and widening a quiet 2 lane to 4 lanes for 3 miles with 4 bridge crossing. Sometimes i worry that we are among the last to see these wonders.

Breadcrumb slimed from a minnow trap, this was some specie of madtom. Very long. ?

64-NB-Madtom-z.JPG

Here is a neat Darter, some kind of Fantail. This water was cold, springfed. You can see the promise of egg mimics.

64-NB-Fantail-z.JPG

Plenty of Crawdads, they were everywhere. Pretty and handsome markings.

64-NB-Mudbug-z.JPG

Looks kinda like a Rainbow but i suspect it's an Orangethroat.

64-NB-Orangethroat-z.JPG

Sculpins always ready to snatch and grab. Easy to photograph, laying still in wait.

64-NB-Sculpin-z.JPG

Off to a new site, one of several fellas laying low under a log.

64-IC-Logperch-z.JPG

Handsome Redline, keeping his eye on me.

64-IC-Redline-M-z.JPG

Orange nosed Snub, exactly which i do not know. Also seen were green nosed Snubs, Cumberland?

64-IC-Snub-z.JPG

I wish i could have gotten a better shot of this shiner. Many were seen and all fast. Probably a Spotfin or Steelcolor but all lacked the bright red nose of Steelcolors i see at home.

64-IC-Spotfin-M-z.JPG

Whitetail Shiner, up close and personal. They can be quite beautiful in their pearlescent colors and displayed finage.

64-IC-Whitetail-M-z.JPG

These guys are in the fastest, neck twisting water and camoed just like sculpins. Very nervous, hard to get close to. Im told in the spring the males are spectacular.

64-48-Blenny-z.JPG

7 to 10 of these guys in a single stretch. Pods, all busy flipping stones. Nervous but sometimes inquisitive.

64-48-Blotchside-z.JPG

A favorite site, today offered a town meeting of Greensides, all gathered alongside a couple monolithic rocks. I played with the macro and telephoto digital zoom to get this shot. He did not want that camera in his face but was content to set a couple feet away and observe the observer.

64-BS-Greenside-z.JPG

My favorite Sunfish. Radiant, seeming translucent in the light.

64-BS-Longear-z.JPG

Probably the best focus of the pics, 2 male Rainbows, i wish the far one was a female.

64-BS-Rainbows-z.JPG

This female redline was marked in a way i have never seen. Rich cream color. I snapped many pics with the camera on top of her. Very patient, but her mate never let me get the shot i wanted. Peeked out from under rocks and skirt away when lifted.

64-BS-Redline-F-z.JPG

These Chubs had the brightest red tails. I thought they were more located in the top portion of the state, better check the range maps on these. I did not see any Chub nests and none of these were tuberculed. Here at home they are all Rivers.

64-BS-Redtails-z.JPG

And so it was.

Edited by Casper Cox, 22 July 2009 - 11:30 PM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

You may unfortunately be right that much of what you saw is in the process of disappearing. But I especially like your photo of the two rainbow darters looking inquisitive. I guess you were in streams too big for flame chubs...

#3 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:24 AM

Hey Casper, awesome stuff. Yeah, it's not worth bothering with zoom, you'll just loose definition and color, and catch fish out of frame. I work on getting the shots as close as possible instead of trying to operate the camera (fixed focal length).

As for your species questions... Based on what I see here in the "collection" and a guess where you were at, the madtom is most likely a slender madtom, your orangethroat are most likely buffalo darters (although they could be highland rim darter), the snub is a saffron, and the chub look like redtail chub, but that might be a little bit out of range for them? I don't have Fishes of TN here. See if that doesn't narrow down your search a bit (although the orangethroats won't be in the book as stated).

Todd

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:29 AM

top of the day to you casper,
what kind of camera do you have?
do you any other pics of the madtom?
logging has put a pinch on my favorite area as well.

#5 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:53 AM

Great photos. I will have to re-read the entire post when I get back from work. Just wanted say it looked like a great trip and great photos.

#6 Guest_fralium_*

Guest_fralium_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

woo,great trip, great pics! and great fish!

:biggrin:

#7 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

Great trip and awesome pictures, Casper. I agree with Todd on all of his ID's, I love your picture of E. flavum and your "green nosed snub" was most definitely E. atripinne (Cumberland Snubnose Darter) a recent branch from the E. simoterum complex.

Keep the trip reports coming, looks like you had a great time.

Blake

#8 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

and your "green nosed snub" was most definitely E. atripinne (Cumberland Snubnose Darter) a recent branch from the E. simoterum complex.

Without knowing where he was at, and based on the presence of P. burtoni (if they were taken in the same general area), and where Casper likes to camp, I am going go on a limb that the green nosed snub was a duck darter, E. planasaxatile.

Todd

#9 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

Without knowing where he was at, and based on the presence of P. burtoni (if they were taken in the same general area), and where Casper likes to camp, I am going go on a limb that the green nosed snub was a duck darter, E. planasaxatile.

Todd

Yeah, I have no idea where he camps, all I heard was Cumberland. Duck darters have green "noses" too!

Blake

#10 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

that madtom is looking like a juvie burbot (lota lota) to me, unless that top thing is a barbel (burbot only have a single chin barbel). I can't tell if it is or just some gunk. Do you have more pictures?

edit:
the more i look at it the less it looks like one. still an option but its head looks too madtom-like to be a burbot, and the barbelly thing looks more barbelly

Edited by Burbot, 23 July 2009 - 05:54 PM.

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

Except for that whole connected adipose thing and those are definately barbels in pairs. Todd was right, it is a slender madtom. I would say that your 'fantail' sure looks to be E. kennicotti, but location could make things different.

#12 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

Im glad you have enjoyed these pictures and i promise to get better.
:)

Flame Chubs Bruce, i think i would need to be in quiet vegetated spring runs, and i was not. Studying Fishes of TN there might be a chance of encountering one with some dedicated questing though. The map is marked with springs everywhere.

Todd, im not giving up on the digital zoom just yet. By bracing it against a stone i could be rock steady. I stay off the digital zoom's "red zone" tho as it adds "noise".
The Madtom, i was not prepared for it to be in my hand. The fella had a minnow trap out of the water and i barely had my camera ready and no bag to hold or water to rinse with and in the hot sun and drying. Reading FoTN Slender sounds right, as they like very cold water.
Orangethroat yes, Buffalo must be a recent split as its not in FoTN.
Saffron sounds good. Ive gotta get back in the breeding season next year as some of FoTN show these Darters as hot hot pretty color.
Redtail Chubs are marked on the map.

CatFishTony, the camera is a Olympus Stylus 790 SW. Not made anymore as they have been upgraded to newer, pricier models. Look them up. About $200 on EBAY used. 5' drop shockproof too, durable. I cord it around my wrist and tuck it in my wetsuit sleeve.

Duck darter? Not in the FoTN. Must be another split. Where are you getting all this info? Etnier is gonna have to do a 3rd edition. I have a 2001 and 2006 survey and neither Buffalo or Duck darters are noted. Im wonderously overwhelmed as to how many species i missed at one site. Wow, yes but good for another day. Excellent, quiet, safe camping in the area. I have 3 sites i like, 1 with power.

Studying the Fishes of Tennessee and the surveys makes me want to head back out with charged batteries asap. Spring would be THE time tho.

A few more pics...

A pair of those green nosed Cumberlands. Years ago i was playing with these in a trib to the Harpeth and watched their noses turn bright green as i gently disturbed the substrate.

64-BS-Cumberland-z.JPG

Another Saffron, yes?, from the cold spring run.

64-NB-Saffron-z.JPG

Another pic of the patient female Redline. I wonder where she got all that yeller? Minerals in her diet. :)

64-BS-Redline-F-yella-z.JPG

This is where all the Greensides were gathered just along that big rock. We could be there in another month for their meeting.

64-BS-TownHall-z.JPG

For scale with the Tennessee Shiners and another Snubby.

64-IC-Fingers-z.JPG

Dont tell what this is if you know it...

64-BS-Scat-z.JPG

Bonus points for specie orgin.

#13 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

Nothing like a little "potty" humor to liven a thread! :)

That's a great picture, my friend. That's gonna get used in some presentations!

Todd

#14 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

Great photos Casper. They have inspired me to get serious about getting under the water to really see what all the neat fishes are up to. I imagine my art will improve tenfold just from the things I see. I checked out the camera you use and I have been putting off buying anything waterproof because I thought they were all too pricey but the stylus is totally in my price range. Awesome!

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

River vermicelli?
Playdough factory cast off?
Stone rolls?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#16 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

River vermicelli?
Playdough factory cast off?
Stone rolls?

Hmm... Cam-poo-stool-oma.

Casper did you ever run across Powers 2007 of the E. simoterum complex? As for the Ceas paper on the spectabile complex, I don't even have that. These names are all coming from primary lit. So yeah, it's not super accessible. If I can find it for you, I'd be glad to.

Todd

#17 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

The simoterum splitting article's reference is: SL Powers, RL Mayden - Bull. Alabama Mus. Nat. Hist, 2007, as best as I can track. Unfortunately my library doesn't subscribe anymore as university budgets further disappear. Or, I guess we could always ask Steve for a copy...

#18 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:50 AM

The simoterum splitting article's reference is: SL Powers, RL Mayden - Bull. Alabama Mus. Nat. Hist, 2007, as best as I can track. Unfortunately my library doesn't subscribe anymore as university budgets further disappear. Or, I guess we could always ask Steve for a copy...

Chris did a good job of breaking out the snubnose splits in a blurb in AC a year or so ago.

#19 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

Yes, and even better ran it with color photos on the back cover. I gotta dig that out in my office and be clear in my mind what's the local species in the southern bend of the Tennessee.

#20 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:03 AM

Powers and Mayden 2007 is attached.

Attached Files

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users