Fish ID?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Megoto_*

Guest_Megoto_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

I have found some sunfish in a creek near my house and don't know what kind they are. I caught a few young ones in a minnow trap. Sorry for the blury photo any help would be appreciated. My son would like to add these to a native tank he is going to be setting up soon.[attachment=8882:100_0312.JPG][attachment=8883:100_0313.JPG][attachment=8884:100_0314.JPG]

Edited by Megoto, 23 July 2009 - 04:53 PM.

#2 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

kinda look p-seedish, but idk if you have pumpkinseed down there, Id go with a redear (unless theyre not down there either). if you can catch another one and use the macro feature (little flower, it takes pictures of things close up) then you should have much better luck getting a clear photo.

Edited by panfisherteen, 23 July 2009 - 06:31 PM.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

Definitely not a redear or a pumpkinseed. It appears to be a funky looking longear to me, but it's really difficult to tell from the blurry pic.

#4 Guest_Megoto_*

Guest_Megoto_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

kinda look p-seedish, but idk if you have pumpkinseed down there, Id go with a redear (unless theyre not down there either). if you can catch another one and use the macro feature (little flower, it takes pictures of things close up) then you should have much better luck getting a clear photo.

believe it or not I did use the macro setting. I just need a new camera. I had released the ones I caught erlier I will try to catch a few more and see if I can get a better picture.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

I'm not a betting man but I'd put a couple of dollars on an ID of Green sunfish.

#6 Guest_GottaCatchEmAll_*

Guest_GottaCatchEmAll_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Almost 100% sure it is a young redbreast sunfish. The picture is a little fuzzy, but from his red tail and the greenish blue lines near his mouth, I would definately say redbreast sunfish. I love to catch the adults at a lake near our house. They are my favorite fish to catch, especially when they are guarding their nest. You can catch them over and over again because they will defend their nest. I catch a lot of juvenile, which this one is, with my cast net. They are a great fish, but you will probably want a big aquarium because they grow big, are quite aggresive, and make large nests.

#7 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

I'd go green.

#8 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

I am leaning towards green as well. Simply because of the over-all body shape. Redbreasts won't have the white margin on the opercle flap. Plus mouth size and the elongated body.

#9 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:28 AM

Looks like a green to me.

#10 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

I'm not a betting man but I'd put a couple of dollars on an ID of Green sunfish.

I'd double down on that one.

#11 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:44 AM

Well, I feel a little silly then. It isn't a redbreast because it has an obvious margin around the ear flap and it was caught in TX where, to the best of my knowledge, redbreast are very rare to non-existent.

I thought green as well when I first saw the fish based on the nape profile and the overall slender "green sunfish" look, but the obvious, even in the blurry photo, apparent white ear flap margin and the red fins made me think longear at a funny angle. Have you guys seens greens with red fins before? We don't see many here but the ones we do never have red in the fins.

#12 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:33 AM

Well, I feel a little silly then. It isn't a redbreast because it has an obvious margin around the ear flap and it was caught in TX where, to the best of my knowledge, redbreast are very rare to non-existent.

I thought green as well when I first saw the fish based on the nape profile and the overall slender "green sunfish" look, but the obvious, even in the blurry photo, apparent white ear flap margin and the red fins made me think longear at a funny angle. Have you guys seens greens with red fins before? We don't see many here but the ones we do never have red in the fins.

Only when young Dustin but yes. I have the advantage of sorting countless young Green sunfish annually :ohmy:

#13 Guest_basssmaster_*

Guest_basssmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

Image too distorted / stretched as well as fuzzy. Green or longear or redbreast. Gotta have better images! A couple drainages down their do have abundant redbreast sunfish (I seen them)

#14 Guest_sunnyman97_*

Guest_sunnyman97_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

the pitures are a little blurry but I would say a green sunfish.

#15 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

the pitures are a little blurry but I would say a green sunfish.

You are better than I at discerning from such images. I can not rule out greens, but cannot rule out longear or redbreast either without clear shots of head / opercular region. Color pattern of flanks and vertical fins more consistent with longear and green than redbreast.

#16 Guest_Megoto_*

Guest_Megoto_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

ok I think this is a little clearer picture hopefully this will help. [attachment=8899:100_0316.JPG]

#17 Guest_GottaCatchEmAll_*

Guest_GottaCatchEmAll_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

Definately redbreast. :)

#18 Guest_sunnyman97_*

Guest_sunnyman97_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

it looks like a hybrid now that the picture is clearer.

#19 Guest_Megoto_*

Guest_Megoto_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

How big do the red breasted get and how big of a tank would you need to keep a few?

#20 Guest_eLeMeNt_*

Guest_eLeMeNt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

There is a glare right over the ear flap on that photo. Can you get a clear shot of the ear flap? It will tell you for sure what it is. Red breasts will have black pigment to the end of the ear flap while greens will have a clear margin surrounding the outer edge of the earflap. I see green sunfish with red/organish coloration all the time in Maryland. Beautiful fish, but mean as hell in the tank.

The coloration and shape of the body screams green sunfish to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users