Where to get a dipnet

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishyeric_*

Guest_fishyeric_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

I have just set up a new 125 gallon tank to be filled with natives. Of course I want to catch the fish myself. My big problem is that I have no experience with this. I spend plenty of time fishing with a hook and line, but I am looking for critters too small to catch in that manner. Likely I will spend some time alone trying to catch these critters. I do not own a dipnet. I am looking for suggestions as to what I should get and where I might look for a dipnet. I am in central ohio if that makes a difference.

Here is a shot of the empty tank. Still some work to do, but its operational.
Posted Image

#2 Guest_scotty_*

Guest_scotty_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

my opinion is to get a seine instead you will need a partner to help but they work really well . the one i use is 4'H x 8'L and i attach each end to old broom handels run the net through the water (against the current) for 10-20 yards and lift with a forward motion . it takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it it works great

Attached Images

• PDR_0126.JPG
  • PDR_0124.JPG

#3 Guest_GottaCatchEmAll_*

Guest_GottaCatchEmAll_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

If you want a dipnet still, I heard the good suggestion of going to the pool section of Walmart and getting a pool skimming net. They work great because they have long handles, flat heads that sit on the bottom, and thin mesh so you can catch the tiniest of fish. Hope this helps! :)

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

Dip nets are like many things in life dont get the highest priced one opt for the next to it
if you think its worth the funds and want it to last.
we have member here in the vendor section of this forum
http://forum.nanfa.o...onahs-aquarium/
i my self use a net from http://www.atac.cc/ and it has held up for 11 months now 2 days a week.

#5 Guest_jim graham_*

Guest_jim graham_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

I have just set up a new 125 gallon tank to be filled with natives. Of course I want to catch the fish myself. My big problem is that I have no experience with this. I spend plenty of time fishing with a hook and line, but I am looking for critters too small to catch in that manner. Likely I will spend some time alone trying to catch these critters. I do not own a dipnet. I am looking for suggestions as to what I should get and where I might look for a dipnet. I am in central ohio if that makes a difference.

Here is a shot of the empty tank. Still some work to do, but its operational.
Posted Image

Bought my last bunch at WWW/aquaticeco.com.

#6 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

I would suggest doig a search for dipnets on the forum. This topic has been exhaustively discussed and you should get some good info there. We use Cummings nets and have Jonah's collapsable perfect dipnets for overseas trips.

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

I use a 4' x 4' seine to collect solo, it works pretty well.

#8 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

I use a 4' x 4' seine to collect solo, it works pretty well.

And don't forget minnow traps if they're legal in your area.

#9 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:53 AM

fishyeric,

That's a really great looking tank, by the way! And if I haven't already, I'd like to welcome you to the forum! I hope that you find your stay both enjoyable and informative!

Brian

#10 Guest_fishyeric_*

Guest_fishyeric_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

Thank you everyone for the advice. So it sounds like online is the best place to look. I am intrugued by the 4x4 seine also. Sounds like that could be operated by a single person if need be.

Also thanks for the compliments on the tank and the welcome to the forum. I've read lots on here but not posted too much. I'll put up some more pics of the tank and homemade filter system once it is rockin with fish and such.

#11 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:26 AM

A heads up - I've been using the walmart pool cleaning nets for about two years. They were tough, cheap, and easy to get.

In the last few months, they've changed suppliers or factories. The new ones they're selling are just about worthless, they break after the first swipe or two.

Glad I kept some of the old ones where the net had separated from the frame, they can be glued back on.

A seine is preferable, you cover more space in less time and lose less. Only trouble with a seine is you draw more attention to yourself. One guy with a dipnet is looking for bait. Two people with a seine can be mistaken for game fish poachers. Something to keep in mind if you're having trouble getting access to streams, or need to keep a low profile.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users