rapid fungus onset

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:14 AM

fdor the second time a fish in my tank got a fungal infection, The first was a new killie who had to endure an 8 hour drive. it died. Since then i added liquid rid fungus to my tank dayly just to be safe.today my banded had fungal growth round its mouth and stopped hiding., this fish was also prone to stress (constant attack by the dollar sunfish) so i put it in a 3 gallon tank and added a fungus clear tab. I hope it gets better. Both fish had rapid disease onset, from no fungus to major infection in just a day. I am not sure if it will make it with such an infection. Anyone have any tips or advice on this? it seemeto be a sudden infection that targets stressed fish

#2 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:17 AM

It is most likely columnaris. It is one reason it is advised not to collect in the summertime. Transportation alone, not mentioning during the summer, and introduction to a new environment can bring this on. There are a few threads that discuss this problem in depth.

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

The fungus onset likely not as fast as you think. Most of the organism is buried in tissues of host until reproductive body erupts as with the more familar terrestrial fungi.

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

The fungus onset likely not as fast as you think. Most of the organism is buried in tissues of host until reproductive body erupts as with the more familar terrestrial fungi.

Anyway to tell if a fish has mycelia buried in it before the reproductive bodies show?

The banded died by the way, the pet store owner said to add aquarium salt to reduce any further sickness. I did and the fish seem alot more like their old selves and alot more peaceful. As long as the dollar doesn't gop back to trying to own half a tank that is ok. (if he does i will completely rearrange and replace inner tank structure, and if that fails, move him to his own tank.)

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

Raised scales, slight discoloration of infected area. Usually difficult to spot unless you are looking for it. Best to keep on toes when fish subjected to stress, especially of the mechanical sort. Also, fungus infections often follow on heels of bacterial infections which is why treatment with antibacterial agents can help suppress fungus outbreaks, even though latter not directly affected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users