Should I use this filter media?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:29 AM

I am getting ready to set up my new 55g brackish tank an I want to get fish in it as soon as I can. I have another brackish tank and I want to use the filter media from there but a few weeks ago I introduced a new fish and its color turned pale and yellowish and its tail started rotting. He died. Im not sure if it was stress because the fish was already full grown, and I naver had luck anyway with that species. He was also introduced from the biggest natural lake in LA to a 10g aquarium filled with aggresive fish. Im just worried that it was some kind of fish disease that may be living in the filter media. None of the other fish are stressed or have anything wrong with them. But I dont want any newly introduced fish to get the problem. So should I use the filter media. Or do you think the fish just died of stress.
Thanks in advance

Also would this filter media even work because the new tank is going to be a lot saltier than the 10g?

#2 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

If it has been at least a month since the fish died, and no other fish have any symptoms, I think it would be safe to use the filter media. I would do it.

#3 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:32 PM

Thanks a lot, maybe i can stock this weekend! I dont think it has been a whole month though.

Edited by Amazon, 03 August 2009 - 06:33 PM.

#4 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

It sounds like the fish had a stress problem, so you are probably fine. It sounds like you need to spread out your fish. If you plan to put fish from the 10 gallon in the new tank, you don't need to worry about the filter. It's near impossible for there to be a disease in the filter media but not in the fish.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

I would use it. Most fish disease have to have a host to live. If you don't see current signs of problems, you're probably ok. However, remember that a healthy fish can resist disease, but the disease can still be present in your tank.

That being said, I think you would be fine. I mean, if it were not ok, everytime I had a fish die I would have to change all my filter media. I don't, and usually my other fish do not get infected if they are healthy.

#6 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the replys. I will be using the filter media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users