Photo

Athens, Georgia

11 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:35 PM

Just a quick report... on Sunday I went out to a couple of local places with nativeplanter (and her significant other) to see if we couldn't chase down a few yellowfin shiners (I love 'em and I think she needed some for a trade).

We hit a very small spot down a dirt road from my hosue and came up with the usual yellowfins, creek chubs, potential bluehead chubes, and a hybopsis looking chub that I am not sure of yet (I have seen it before and it looks a lot like a rosy face chub, but I am not sure if we are in range here in Athens). We also saw a young (dime size) sunfish and a darter. Well that got someone's attention and so natveplanter starts digging in the rubble and kicking everything in sight and starts coming up with some really beautiful darters all blue green underside from their chins to their tails. Turns out to be tourquoise darters and we both were able to get a few.

Next we hit another spot still in the same drainage and found most of the same minnows, although we did come up with several of what I am more confident are juvenile bluehead chubs (another of my favorite aquarium fish).

I think that we may get nativeplanter to pst a picture or two of those darters (the ones that I kept were smaller and not in color). They were a sight to behold on a clear cool day in the sunny south.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

So this is my own 5 year old post... but I did it again... went out collecting locally in December... you've gotta love it... short sleeves and sweating in my waders... in December.

Anyway, this time I was alone and hit the same stream... but all the way at the very source of it. It starts in a natural spring/swamp area beside my neighborhood... the swamp overflows through a culvert and is a stream... 3 feet wide and ankle deep... with occasional calf deep pools.

I tried to solo seine and dip net in the swamp and only caught plants (which I will later post and ask Laura to identify if they actually grow... if they don't grow then I don't care so much) and tadpoles and a few small salamanders. So I went to the other side of the culvert and tried seining in the stream. I am consistently surprised at how far upstream fish will go... I mean I am essentially at river mile(?) ten yards... and I catch creek chubs, bluehead chubs, redbreast sunfish (I think... they are the size of my thumbnail) and of course, these guys...
Posted Image
Even in December, they came out of the stream with a pinkish color and a the obvious metallic yellow-green stripe above the dark lateral stripe... Notropis lutipinnis the yellowfin shiner... you gotta love em... I put these guys in a bucket in the basement overnight with a sponge filter from another tank and let the air change the water temp... put them in a tank with other shiners and fed them flake and they ate it up. The perfect aquarium fish!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

Nice looking fish. It's been a while since I've played in headwaters. Your report sure makes me want to check out some extreme upstream again.

I have to admit, as much as I like winter, I am a little jealous. I'm still out playing in the creek nearly once a week, but the Little Muskingum is about 40F right now so my trips have gotten a lot shorter. Just out of curiosity, what kind of water temps do y'all have in Georgia now?

Thanks for the post and pic.
Steve.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Just out of curiosity, what kind of water temps do y'all have in Georgia now?

Well, I did not put a thermometer in it... I gotta start doing that (note to self: put old aquarium thermometer in glove box of Jeep)... but my hands were never really cold... I mean it felt just like cold tap water... air temp was 60 or so water temp must have been mid 50s... most of this water had been sitting in the swamp for a while before it over flows and becomes the creek, so it is not bone chilling cold by any means.

#5 Guest_mywan_*

Guest_mywan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:04 AM

I almost always hunt down the most extreme upstream region I can get to and work my way down from there. These upstream regions is what resupplies a lot of the seed material to replenish what gets washed out lower down in the rainy season. They are a lot like natural refugiums. These feed a larger downstream system, with a different ecology, which acts as a refugium for another system farther downstream. The distribution works along the lines of Benford's Law with the size of the system inversely proportional to the frequency.

Absolutely my favorite kind of places to explore is the transition points between these systems. Here is the head of Swamp Creek nearby, above that fall area the water is basically just seeping from the hills.

Posted Image

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

Michael, do you know what the pH and hardness is in that system? I've got a little native tank brewing with some coastal plain stuff. I might have to try and talk you into sending me a few of those for giggles if they would work together ;)

Todd

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

Michael, do you know what the pH and hardness is in that system? I've got a little native tank brewing with some coastal plain stuff. I might have to try and talk you into sending me a few of those for giggles if they would work together ;)

Todd

Are you kidding? I didn't even measure temperature (and even an engineer can read a thermometer!). I certainly don't have the ability to check pH and hardness. Maybe Uncle Willie will jump in and tell us (he lives right around here). This is the headwaters of a creek that is a direct trib to the Middle Oconee, if that tells you anything.

As far as sending you fish, just let me know...

#8 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

An aquarium pH and hardness test would work just fine. Even if you could just get the pH, that'd be enough evidence for me. :)

Todd

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Well as you can see here, everyone is fine in the 75 gallon tank. Even colored up a little bit...not sure if that is temperature, playing in the current, or more food (there certainly weren't a lot of bugs falling in the stream in the winter time). But they seem fine after the overnight-in-a-bucket-with-a-sponge acclimation.

Please ignore the dirty tank I didn't expect to take this video, but with people partially colored up and playing around after being in the tank only over night, I got inspired.

Yellowfins at Christmas with special guest appearances from the new juv. bluehead (also new as of yesterday) and a big ole out of color turquoise darter.

Christmas Yellowfins click to go to youtube... I am not sure how to embed these the way Erica does...

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

I remember that first trip Michael. It was quite fun. I did like those turquoise darters a lot!

I'll have to look at your video from home (silly work firewall thing). Post the plants when you are able and I'll see what I can do.

#11 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:18 PM

I wanna hang my stocking on a coconut tree and hope my dreams come true.
:)

#12 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

Yes, the music fits quite well. Enjoyed the festive viewing and the tank looks real nice.

Steve.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users