21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

Hello all,
Im buying this
http://www.tractorsu...x-2-ft--2177154
i will be raising monster F1 bass in Central GA. In the winter it will be heated and buried the full 2ft in the ground for extra heat. Will also use an aerator and pond filter. pond totals to 700 gallons but a pond calculator said 755.2 so ill say 755 just to be on the safe side. Pics will be up when i buy this monster

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

Be carefull with new galvanized tanks for fish keeping. Upon addition of water, zinc will be released which can be detrimental to your bass. Consider a liner.

#3 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

Hello all,
Im buying this
http://www.tractorsu...x-2-ft--2177154
i will be raising monster F1 bass in Central GA. In the winter it will be heated and buried the full 2ft in the ground for extra heat. Will also use an aerator and pond filter. pond totals to 700 gallons but a pond calculator said 755.2 so ill say 755 just to be on the safe side. Pics will be up when i buy this monster

Fishkeeper1, that sounds like a wonderful idea in theory. Don't buy the galvanized tank. Spend a few more dollars and get the blue plastic tank of the same size. The reason I say this is twofold. Number one the galvanized tank can cause some issues long term with the leaching of zinc. I have suffered some mortalities that could only be attributed to the zinc issue with a nearly identical galvanized tank. Second, the metal won't last any longer than the plastic, the metal will rust rather quickly. I have both types and much prefer the plastic.

How many bass do you intend to stock in the tank/pond?

You might want to invest in a second tank to raise forage fish for the F1 bass.

#4 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

Fishkeeper1, that sounds like a wonderful idea in theory. Don't buy the galvanized tank. Spend a few more dollars and get the blue plastic tank of the same size. The reason I say this is twofold. Number one the galvanized tank can cause some issues long term with the leaching of zinc. I have suffered some mortalities that could only be attributed to the zinc issue with a nearly identical galvanized tank. Second, the metal won't last any longer than the plastic, the metal will rust rather quickly. I have both types and much prefer the plastic.

How many bass do you intend to stock in the tank/pond?

You might want to invest in a second tank to raise forage fish for the F1 bass.

thanks soo much i posted 2 different threads on monsterfishkeepers and no one has mentioned that and i thoug habout it but dident think that woudl happen. The next thing i'd get is a Rubbermaid Stock Tank but thats only a 300 gallon is it enough? And yes i plan on buying either an animal repeller liek the motion sprikler or putting a lid on the tank but i would like plants.

http://www.tractorsu...300-gal-2229935

should i get the above link OR just buy a liner for the previus galvanized tank?

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

My local FTS has far more very large plastic water containers on hand than are listed in the catalog. I can't promise your local FTS has the same but I recall 30" deep by 14' round tanks among others on hand.

#6 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

thanks soo much i posted 2 different threads on monsterfishkeepers and no one has mentioned that and i thoug habout it but dident think that woudl happen. The next thing i'd get is a Rubbermaid Stock Tank but thats only a 300 gallon is it enough? And yes i plan on buying either an animal repeller liek the motion sprikler or putting a lid on the tank but i would like plants.

http://www.tractorsu...300-gal-2229935

should i get the above link OR just buy a liner for the previus galvanized tank?

Neither. The galvanized tank will still rust under the liner (granted it will take longer than ungalvanized). Also, Black tanks heat up alot in the southern sun.

Why not get this tank, almost the same money. ??
http://www.tractorsu...plastic-2177188

#7 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

My local FTS has far more very large plastic water containers on hand than are listed in the catalog. I can't promise your local FTS has the same but I recall 30" deep by 14' round tanks among others on hand.

really? thats awsome but bad in both ways. theres a tractor supply just 10 minutes down the road they just opened so ill have to check it out. im worrying about how to transport it though, we may have to rent a homedepot truck just to haul one of these, and yes the deeper and more gallonage the better.(if gallonage is a word)how deep shoudl i go for GA like 3 1/2 to 4ft good? i would stay in the 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 range
and whats a good tank to raise fathead minnows a rubbermaid 100 stock tank?

#8 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

really? thats awsome but bad in both ways. theres a tractor supply just 10 minutes down the road they just opened so ill have to check it out. im worrying about how to transport it though, we may have to rent a homedepot truck just to haul one of these, and yes the deeper and more gallonage the better.(if gallonage is a word)how deep shoudl i go for GA like 3 1/2 to 4ft good? i would stay in the 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 range
and whats a good tank to raise fathead minnows a rubbermaid 100 stock tank?

If TSC has to special order the tank, maybe they will deliver it directly to your place. U can haul them in a pickup or a big lawnmower trailer.

#9 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

If TSC has to special order the tank, maybe they will deliver it directly to your place. U can haul them in a pickup or a big lawnmower trailer.

we have a toyota sequoia and a fairly large trailor. it can hold a 400cc atv and a 125cc dirt bike so it MAY be able to hold a tank but im unsure of that. and if its the right size i will most likely do that. what size tank would be good for raising fathead minnows? coudl i buy the 700g tub because fatheads are very durable fish so would zinc affect them? the bigger the tank the better because 10lbs of forage=1lb of bass or in my situation 10lbs of forage=4lbs of bass because they move less. also i will have free food for my fatheads because of mosquito larvae and i will also feed them, along with the bass

#10 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

we have a toyota sequoia and a fairly large trailor. it can hold a 400cc atv and a 125cc dirt bike so it MAY be able to hold a tank but im unsure of that. and if its the right size i will most likely do that. what size tank would be good for raising fathead minnows? coudl i buy the 700g tub because fatheads are very durable fish so would zinc affect them? the bigger the tank the better because 10lbs of forage=1lb of bass or in my situation 10lbs of forage=4lbs of bass because they move less. also i will have free food for my fatheads because of mosquito larvae and i will also feed them, along with the bass

I would stay away from galvanized altogother. Just a long term view. You should be able to haul an 8 foot diameter tank on your trailer. It will cockup on one side. Just put a few cinderblocks in it (preferably on some cardboard). Drive slow.

If you want big bass. Grow the forage in the large tank. Put the bass in the small tank. It takes alot of room to grow alot of forage.

#11 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

I would stay away from galvanized altogother. Just a long term view. You should be able to haul an 8 foot diameter tank on your trailer. It will cockup on one side. Just put a few cinderblocks in it (preferably on some cardboard). Drive slow.

If you want big bass. Grow the forage in the large tank. Put the bass in the small tank. It takes alot of room to grow alot of forage.

i may buy a liner kit for both. make custom sized tanks liek the bass tank 5ft long 5 ft wide and 4ft deep? and the fathead pond 5ft long 5ft wide and 5ft deep? shoudl be good with aerators and filters for each? or just buy 2 300g rubbermaid stock tanks?or special order 2 extra large rubbermaid stock tanks? will see which is cheaper

#12 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

i may buy a liner kit for both. make custom sized tanks liek the bass tank 5ft long 5 ft wide and 4ft deep? and the fathead pond 5ft long 5ft wide and 5ft deep? shoudl be good with aerators and filters for each? or just buy 2 300g rubbermaid stock tanks?or special order 2 extra large rubbermaid stock tanks? will see which is cheaper

its $70 cheaper for the stock tank so im going with that and i can reuse the tank but the liner woudl be harder and messier. im going with the stock tanks

#13 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

its $70 cheaper for the stock tank so im going with that and i can reuse the tank but the liner woudl be harder and messier. im going with the stock tanks

Plan on making some sort of cover for the bass or you may find them on the ground one day. If you can stand the color some orange net fence used on highways will work. I would shade the tanks as well.

#14 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

Plan on making some sort of cover for the bass or you may find them on the ground one day. If you can stand the color some orange net fence used on highways will work. I would shade the tanks as well.

yes there already 90% shaded by 7 oak trees and im buying some plants for cover aswell. so heres the stuff so far:
Bass Tank-
1-5 F1 pellet trained bass buying at 8-10"
rubbermaid tub 300+gallons
heater
pond filter
"lid"
aerator

fathead tank- buying 100-1,000 fatheads both ponds will be stocked initially
and the fatheads will have a several month headstart on the bass
rubbermaid tub 300 gallons
pond filter
aerator
Maybe heater?
structure for spawning,plants, driftwood

#15 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

Pond supply stores sell black netting to protect koi from birds and other fish eating critters. It's quite cheap, too.

#16 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

yes there already 90% shaded by 7 oak trees and im buying some plants for cover aswell. so heres the stuff so far:
Bass Tank-
heater
pond filter
"lid"
aerator

pond filter
aerator
Maybe heater?

Sounds like it will work. I don't think you need a heater for the fatheads. Also, the more spawning material the better for fatheads. Try taking some 3-4 inch diameter pvc or any plastic pipe at least 3 inch and cut in 6 inch lengths. The fatheads will spawn on them.

#17 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:12 AM

Bass Tank-
heater
pond filter
"lid"
aerator

pond filter
aerator
Maybe heater?

Bass will consume all your minnows in less than a week. Need fewer bass or larger tank if minnows are to support that much foraging pressure.

#18 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Bass will consume all your minnows in less than a week. Need fewer bass or larger tank if minnows are to support that much foraging pressure.

no because the minnows are like 30% of the basses diet, the rest is pellets, and other foods like worms and frogs and stuff i can find/buy locally. also both tanks will be stocked with fatheads, then after both tanks are full with them i will add the bass, i will try and buy a male and female from a hatchery at 8-10" long.

#19 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:34 AM

no because the minnows are like 30% of the basses diet, the rest is pellets, and other foods like worms and frogs and stuff i can find/buy locally. also both tanks will be stocked with fatheads, then after both tanks are full with them i will add the bass, i will try and buy a male and female from a hatchery at 8-10" long.

How will you ensure bass will not preferentially consume minnows? In my experience an 8" LMB can consume 100 fatheads in a week. The bass will grow and be able to consume more per unit time as they grow.

#20 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

How will you ensure bass will not preferentially consume minnows? In my experience an 8" LMB can consume 100 fatheads in a week. The bass will grow and be able to consume more per unit time as they grow.

i will put in X amount of minnows every week or so? These are also pellet trained bass that are living off pellets at the hatchery im buying them from and luckily they also happen to be either Northern,Florida or the new F1 species so i can raise a true monster. also, i will be castnetting local ponds, streams and lakes for crawfish, bluegill, shiners and other smaller fish for it to eat. so yes, IF i fed only pellets and fatheads the fish would tend to like live prey more due to it beign a native fish, but im also adding earthwors and ect... Ive been watching what cabelas and basspro feed their fish and it amazes me, they feed goldfish 2x a week and earthworms but i am unsure how much there fed. and the bass in those tank are all 10lbs+ so i am not worried seeign as im feeding double what they feed i "should" have a 10 lb bass in 5yrs or less in theory, considering the fact that my bass will move substantially less than a true native bass and it will be fed almost daily so it should gain more weight than a normal native would, but thats in theory of course

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users