Northern Hogsucker
Attached File  sucker.jpg   74.82KB   8 downloads

My group of MRBD
Attached File  mrbd.jpg   94.44KB   11 downloads

#2 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 06:34 PM

Nice fish. Are you keeping the hogsucker? The first fish may be E. obesus. Did you collect it yourself?

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 06:39 PM

First fish looks like a definite gloriosus to me. The "gilt" doesn't look like a gilt to me? Is there something else it could be?

#4 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

I'm gonna have to make a trip to the east caost one to so I can learn my Enneacanthids in a hands on sorta way.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:04 PM

Nice fish. Are you keeping the hogsucker? The first fish may be E. obesus. Did you collect it yourself?

No, we didn't keep the hogsucker. It was rather large and I don't have the right setup for one. We did collect that Enneacanthus and it is the one in the ID section that I had problems with.

First fish looks like a definite gloriosus to me. The "gilt" doesn't look like a gilt to me? Is there something else it could be?

I'm starting to think the same about the E. gloriosus. Is it a female? It looks and acts different than the other bluespotted that I have.
Regarding the gilt, I believe it is a female gilt darter. We collected it with other gilt darters. Similar fish would be the blackside darter but I don't believe it to be that.

#6 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

The Mountain Redbellies look very nice! Where did you collect such pretty fish? I hope to have a group of my own in my 55g in the fall.

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:52 PM

Please tell me your going to try spawning those MRBD :D
It would be great to try and get these fish established as captive bred stock...

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:08 PM

You should see the MRBD when they are colored up! They were collected in the Shenandoah Valley Region. According to Jenkins & Burkhead, these fish are not native to this region but are abundant where found.

BL, I'm setting up a tank specifically for breeding them. They usually spawn in the nests of various chubs. I've read that they will spawn over gravel though so I'm crossing my fingers.

#9 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:34 PM

I'm starting to think the same about the E. gloriosus. Is it a female? It looks and acts different than the other bluespotted that I have.

Could be a female, or just juvenile coloration. I have not noticed a difference in how males and females act, in obesus or gloriosus. I sure wish chaetodon would give it up more easily.

#10 Guest_eLeMeNt_*

Guest_eLeMeNt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2006 - 12:12 PM

I have a little E. Obesus that looks very similar to the one in the picture, except its bands definitely stand out. I hear that E. Obesus and E. Gloriosus look very similar when young and that a scale count around the caudal peduncle is necessary in some cases. I've only seen adult E. Gloriosus before. Not sure what the younger ones look like.

Do you have any other pictures of your other E. Gloriosus that you could post Drewish? I'm curious to see what they look like.

#11 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

Element, I will see if I can find or get a good one.

Dustin, maybe this is why it looks off?

The gilt darter described from Indiana in 1877, and the southern P. palmaris compose the subgenus Ericosma. Of the three subspecies of the gilt darter, P. e. evides occurs in Virginia. The other two can be regarded as formally described by Denoncourt in 1969

#12 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:02 AM

Element, I will see if I can find or get a good one.

Dustin, maybe this is why it looks off?

You're probably right. It just looks different from the ones we get in the French Broad in SW NC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users