care, are they an invasive species?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GottaCatchEmAll_*

Guest_GottaCatchEmAll_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Are carp an invasive species? And if so, how were they introduced?

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

Common carp are a Eurasian species, and are considered invasive in North America. Like dandelions and starlings, they are so well-entrenched that attempting to eradicate them now is useless. They were initially cultivated here in the nineteenth century with the idea that they would be a valuable food fish. It was a government program, The United States Fish Commission, that brought domestic carp here from Germany in 1877. I don't think the commission initially stocked them in streams and lakes; it is my impression that they were intended for aquaculture stock, but many escaped or were released into natural waters and reproduced rapidly.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

Many state agencies in the late 1800's very systematically stocked carp in as many bodies of water as they could as an "improvement". Ohio was one of the most gung-ho states for this, but others were about as bad. There's a long history of this kind of halfwitted policy, continuing today in the form of zealously protecting brown trout fisheries, introducing dambusia all over as an alleged mosquito control agent, introducing pacific salmon species into the Great Lakes and the Northeast, etc.

#4 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

Many state agencies in the late 1800's very systematically stocked carp in as many bodies of water as they could as an "improvement". Ohio was one of the most gung-ho states for this, but others were about as bad. There's a long history of this kind of halfwitted policy, continuing today in the form of zealously protecting brown trout fisheries, introducing dambusia all over as an alleged mosquito control agent, introducing pacific salmon species into the Great Lakes and the Northeast, etc.

I read this post and laughed wholeheartedly at your description of a sad truth....but the truth isnt funny at all on the James river in Greene county Mo. those common carp dominate at certain times of the year and make a river that was once clear, muddy. Most people around here fish for bass using catch and release. Theyre favorite time to Bass fish is in the spring when the Bass are guarding their nests (its the easiest time to catch them) not realizing that as their catching and releasing these centrarchids various minnows, catfish and most of all carp are invading the empty nests gulping down the unguarded eggs. If more people would fish for these "common carp" many of which are over 20lbs this would help increase the brood for the next seasons bass catch. This already works with catfish which thanks to our catfisherman and women are kept naturally under controll.

#5 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

You can't really compare carp to catfish as they are, for the most part, North American Natives.

#6 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:53 AM

You can't really compare carp to catfish as they are, for the most part, North American Natives.

No but thats not the point of my post.....the point was that due to fishing pressure Bass stocks are hurt inthe spring because of carp more than catfish because of fishing pressure on the catfish.
"I read this post and laughed wholeheartedly at your description of a sad truth....but the truth isnt funny at all on the James river in Greene county Mo. those common carp dominate at certain times of the year and make a river that was once clear, muddy. Most people around here fish for bass using catch and release. Theyre favorite time to Bass fish is in the spring when the Bass are guarding their nests (its the easiest time to catch them) not realizing that as their catching and releasing these centrarchids various minnows, catfish and most of all carp are invading the empty nests gulping down the unguarded eggs. If more people would fish for these "common carp" many of which are over 20lbs this would help increase the brood for the next seasons bass catch. This already works with catfish which thanks to our catfisherman and women are kept naturally under controll."

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:29 AM

The last part of that quote is weird; fishing pressure by humans keeps catfish naturally under control? How did this work before humans showed up ~15,000 years ago? Inquiring minds want to know.

#8 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

The last part of that quote is weird; fishing pressure by humans keeps catfish naturally under control? How did this work before humans showed up ~15,000 years ago? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bruce we are a part of nature, and if you ask any state conservation dept., they will tell you how big of an impact humans have on native and I think could have on non-native fish stocks. Conservationists and Enviromentalists I feel both have it wrong.....I feel we need to regulate how we deal with nature to help it....not just leave it alone or exploit it!

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:53 PM

Bruce we are a part of nature, and if you ask any state conservation dept., they will tell you how big of an impact humans have on native and I think could have on non-native fish stocks. Conservationists and Enviromentalists I feel both have it wrong.....I feel we need to regulate how we deal with nature to help it....not just leave it alone or exploit it!

OK you lost me here. I'm really not sure what the suggestion is here, Please elaborate.

#10 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:24 AM

OK you lost me here. I'm really not sure what the suggestion is here, Please elaborate.

My last post was a response to a previous post, my original premise was, "If more people would fish for these "common carp" many of which are over 20lbs this would help increase the brood for the next seasons bass catch." and that fishing pressure whether commercial or as a sport could help control various invasive carps that are crowding out natives in some areas (Illinois river, Mississipi etc.).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users