North Georgia Seine

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

...kkkkKeith had been promoting the merits of native fish to his fellow Atlanta club members and invited a Tennessean along on their first outing. Since it was only an hour away and i had been tempted with a Blacktail Redhorse offering a few months prior i left my home that early Saturday morning ever hopeful.
Keith can provide more details of the club but here is group photo, less the late arrival of Alejandro and a young husband and wife team with their 2 rubber booted boys in tow.
From the right is Keith, Wolfe, sporting his creek wear, Let It Be Jeffrey, a husband and wife K team and a happy fella, whom on this trip i knew my fish better than i remembered these folks names i am ashamed to say. I do know there were a bunch of K names among them. Kirsten, Karl, Kurt, Kramer.
The stream was a favored watering hole for the locals and they had undertaken a lowhead dam project that deepened a flowing pool allowing a brisk run, high bank jump, loud whoop and plunge into the cool water. I waded out into the deepest and one my tippy toes i could such barely breathe air. Convinced it was safe, my urgings to Michael for a photo op did not motivate him for a similiar plunge.
This did not curtail our downstream activities of seining up a healthy diversity of critters.
Shiners: big eyed Stripeds, nice velvet spotted Blacktails, dorsal fin color flaged Tricolors, rugged Alabamas, Rainbows with half their eyes red.
Darters: bland Coosas, a couple Greenbreasts, handsome Blackbandeds.
Sunfish: Longear, Spotted ( Red Spotted? ), Redbreast, Bluegill, a nice Shadow Bass, a pretty Croppie and probably Smallmouth / Coosa Bass.
The Usuals: Stonerollers, Hogsuckers, Sculpins.
Redhorse ( maybe River Reds ), and plenty of Southern Studfish.
A dead Bullhead made it 21 species. We had a couple mystery shiners, long, slender and agressive mouthed and i felt like a speckled Darter should have been held in someone's hand but no gambusia either, though we were eager to hit 22 positive IDs.
It was a good group and my compliments to Keith for getting it organized and also to Michael who was a nonstop informative chatterbox to these new folks pointing out all the wonders and showing them the various tricks to capture using seine and net. Good job guys.

By early afternoon most of the Atlanta folks were ready to head back but i suggested a 10 mile ride north to snorkel the Conasauga. Michael, Keith, Alejandro and myself made the quick drive with a short refreshment stop along the way leaving puddles on the store floor. The Conasauga was again clear and comfortable. We all snorkeled in our skins without the need for wetsuits on such a pretty day with the sun high overhead. Michael had his camera along and after a few minutes of getting oriented we were both engrossed in chasing photos. Most of the fish have fallen from color this late in the season but a few were still proud in their spawning attire.

Here are a few photos.

AtlantaClub.JPG

SpottedSunfish.JPG

Im figuring this is a River Redhorse. We caught lots of big and smalls but after looking over Mettee's Alabama book the consensus was River Red. We never saw a Blacktail Redhorse. :(

RiverRedHead.JPG

RiverRed.JPG

Here are my better snorkel pics from the Conasauga. I will let you guess as to what they are. :)

CR-8-09-Bama.JPG

CR-8-09-BlueShiner.JPG

CR-8-09-Bronze.JPG

CR-8-09-Speckled.JPG

CR-8-09-BlackBanded.JPG

CR-8-09-Bridled2.JPG

And the hungry predator just downstream of the darters and shiners, ever present and awaiting an opportunity.

CR-8-09-Coosa.JPG

And a few activity pics...

CR-8-09-SnailShell.JPG

CR-8-09--Dusting.JPG

3 critters in one shot...

CR-8-09-Trio2.JPG

And finally the semi art shot for the day though a bit blurry. Im still trying to get a dead on focus but have not yet refined my technique. The best technique... Lots of Photos!

CR-8-09-Tubercules2.JPG

Once the sun dropped below the treeline we backtracked to Little Rome outside of Chatsworth and enjoyed a nice salad bar and fish tales. They had much further to drive but i hope they make it back soon. I really enjoy activities such as this and i was much refreshed after suffering a bout of chiggers from hunting mushrooms the previous weekend.

Edited by Casper Cox, 17 August 2009 - 03:21 PM.

#2 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

Casper I love your posts.
You and I will swim together some time for sure. :wink:

#3 Guest_James_*

Guest_James_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the show and tell of your latest wanders. I'm missing the Conasauga this year!! Pass the SuitJuice.

#4 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

i assume the bass in one of the photos is a coosa bass?

#5 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

I really enjoyed your commentary and your pics. Looks and sounds likea great trip. I know at least one person who is a tad bit jealous... :-)
I am pretty sure that that is the area where there is the possible integrade between the L. miniatus and punctatus. A good looking fish nonetheless.
Great shiner pics, too. I bet it a bit of time to get good pics of them.
Thanks for sharing.

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

i assume the bass in one of the photos is a coosa bass?

Yep, it is... Casper, you should have included photos of your "mystery" shiners, we could have a good ol' time id'ing silvery shiners! Coosa vs. burrhead vs. silverstripe, everyone's faves (at least mine).

#7 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

hey Casper,

looks like a fun time was had by all! I particularly like the turtle/sunfish/kusha shot.

the redhorse looks like a Mobile Basin black, which have a bit of a reddish tail; rivers would have a RED tail and a much stockier build/larger head.

found a hillside littered with beautiful yellow chanterelles a couple days ago in southeastern KY. Guess all the rain has them going a bit late. if we hadn't hiked a long ways in with way too much gear, I would have figured some way to bring a couple of gallons back and festoon my hotel room with strings of 'em to dry... tore me up leaving them there for the squirrels!

Dave

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

Well, I can't try to tell it any better than Casper did (and I did talk too much on Saturday), but I can add a few more photos of our day...

...the sexy punctatus miniatus
spotted sunfish 2.jpg

Curious redbreast
redbreast face.jpg

... a very pale redbreast looking for something to eat
redbreast pale.jpg

Percina
percina 1.jpg

Greenbreast
greenbreast 1.jpg

Blue Shiner
blue shiner.jpg

Alabama
alabama shiner.jpg

Head On
head on.jpg

a NANFAn and some stone rollers
stoneroller.jpg

And my version of an art shot... which actually include my fellow artist... and his camera.
Man, those shiners are fast!
shiner 1.jpg
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

Man, that is some great stuff you guys. I'm hoping to see some clearer waters here later this week down your direction. Wish I was going to the Conasauga!

Todd

#10 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

Enjoyable read as always. Looks like you guys had a party!

#11 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:22 AM

I enjoyed myself a lot, think I'm getting better with nets, and some fish are even starting to look familiar, too. Clearly a successful outing!

-Alejandro

#12 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

Okay dumb question, but is there some trick to snorkeling and getting the fish to stay so calm? Do you just float around with your face underwater waiting for them to settle and begin acting naturally again? I've never actually been snorkeling, but I'm really debating picking up a mask and snorkel to give this a whirl. It would be awesome to get to experience the fish on their own turf.

#13 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

So, to contribute, in the upper picture of the group, from left to right (since I like to be contrary) are: Kevin, Kirsten, Chris, Jonathan, Mr. Wolfe, and myself. We were on Sumac Creek in the extreme upper Coosa drainage (Sumac Creek is a tributary of the Conasauga) in north Georgia, so close to the Tennessee line that a good breeze would have blown us across.

I'm greatfully appreciative to my fellow NANFAns Casper and Mike, who helped make the trip much better than it would have been with just me and Alejandro. We're still in the initial learning phases, and are quite capable of placing fish into their respective familial groups. I'm pretty sharp with the sunfish, particularly Lepomis, but my ID skills on cyprinids is woefully inadequate as yet.

Everyone had a great time, and the new guys are learning a lot about our local fish. (I consider myself lumped into the new guy bracket, as well.) You can see some of Kirsten's photos (including some VERY well-taken shots of non-fish flora & fauna) in our club forums at this link. They all had a great time, and are already wanting another trip out.

The shadow bass is doing quite well, and is rather amusing trying to hide in his quarantine tank under the small filter I've provided, which might cover his head. He's taking red wigglers slowly, once no one is around to watch him eat them. After quarantine, he'll temporarily go into my dollar sunfish tank to learn to eat pellets while I prepare his new home in a big 75.

My thanks to Casper for inviting us up to the Conasauga, and for the loan of a diving mask. I'm greatly impressed with the experience and plan on doing it again at the next available opportunity.

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

Tell Kristen her pictures were top notch... its a shame that no one got a better picture of the Percina from Sumac Creek... they are beauties... and she did remind me of the fun we had watching Casper go after the water snake... or was that the other way around??? I had forgotten about that, and noticed how he carefully avoided the retelling of that particular adventure...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

I suspect my nerves nor reflexes will ever be good enough to snatch a 3' water snake behind the head. Ive grabbed a little 18 incher but a 3' watersnake will bit you quicker than you can let it go! And multiple times.

That link does offer some nice Kirsten photos. The inexpensive digital cameras are providing excellent opportunities to share the wonder.

Clayton... there is no point in debating. Just whirl.
:)

Michael your pics are very nice. I especially like the flushed Greenbreast though question my ID a bit. Dave? Such a cute little face. I do not know what else it could be? Did i give you a copy of Skelton's Conasauga River Field Guide?
Your percina is the Bridled, and not the marrying kind.
I like your art shot but even more the "Head On" shot. I reckon that to be the tuberculed Bama. For shiners you have to preset your focus and flow with the fish as you snap. A couple of those minners were determined, i ended up pricking eggs out of my lens crevase that evening.

Dave i will have to get another lesson from you on Redhorses. I was somewhat confident of this because of the red finage and big heads and while the 4 of us reviewed Scott's book.
Ive had one nice meal of Chanterelles this year and always ready for more. Never dried them but they are pretty durable for hikeouts. I would have had a hard time leaving them!
Kusha? = Bridled?

Prez Bruce, i didnt even think to take pics of the mystery shiners. I dont carry Uland gear but maybe could have got a few baggie shots or done Todd's air boarding technique. Will do next time.

Thanks all for sharing and comments, it was a good outreach day for potential new NANFAns.

And finally another pic of one of my favorite darters to see in the Conasauga.

CR-8-09-Bridled.JPG

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users