Collecting trip with Justin

No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

I guess I will do the trip report.

The other day I met with Justin (Bumpylemon) to do some collecting, aiming for his two target species, redbreast sunfish and banded sunfish.

Our first stop was the Ashuelot River in Ashuelot River Park in Keene. Figuring that the best way to get a sunbfish is on a hook and line we fished for them. We got a few Redbreast sunfish, a couple yellow perch, a golden shiner, and a chain pickerel. (which we forgot to take a picture of). Most of which were caught by Justin.

The water was swarmning with minnows of two kinds (a light colored one and a dark colored one) and a few darters were also visible. We turned to dip netting for them. Justin already has an identification post up for them. (honestly i doubt they are anything too exotic though, despite some of the guesses).

Our next stop was Pearly Pond in Rindge, a place I recently read had banded sunfish. We got their and justin made a couple sweeps of a net and got nothing. (meanwhile i was dealing with a hook in my swimsuit, then one in my finger, then a downpour hit, needless to say my mood was soured for a few minutes).

A downpour hit and we rushed to the car, we drove ahead of the storm, stopping at a pond (no idea which one) in troy and getting a pumpkinseed, then outrunning it again to keene and getting one more redbreast before the storm caught us again and we decided to go home.

All and all it was fun and a bit exciting. (except when i had a hook in me, ouch!)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users