Collecting From Kayak.....

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Curiositykat_*

Guest_Curiositykat_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

I bought a kayak recently and have been traveling the local rivers and lakes here in Wisconsin. I see tons and tons of darters, minnows, shiners and other things. Is there a way to catch some of these fish from the kayak? The places I find lots of fish are not assessable from shore. Usually its where a river runs through a marsh, there's a channel in the center where lots of fish are and lots of wet vegetation on both sides.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

What about a cast net? If you're already out in a channel you wouldn't have to throw it so far, so being seated wouldn't be a problem.

#3 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:37 AM

Is there a way to catch some of these fish from the kayak?

If you're thinking of collecting little fish from a kayak, maybe a BG Shiner Scoop? I tend to frisbee it out past a school of shiners, and then haul it back, those motions are probably compatible with keeping yourself on the air-side of the kayak.

I have not used a cast net much, but the normal Walmart type cheap nylon ones are very rough on fish, which is fine if you're catching bait, not so good if you're either keeping them or letting most of them go.

But I would think that most of the time, you would use the kayak to get to places that would be inaccessible by normal means, then dismount and collect conventionally while wading, with a dipnet or seine.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

But I would think that most of the time, you would use the kayak to get to places that would be inaccessible by normal means, then dismount and collect conventionally while wading, with a dipnet or seine.

I agree; this works very well. The problem with trying to use a dip net from the kayak is that you can't get enough leverage to move the net quickly (well, at least I can't). Plus, if you want darters, you'll want to do the darter shuffle.

Do you have a sit-on-top or sit-in kayak? Since I usually use mine in salt water, I have a sit-on-top. In the rear cargo area you can put a milk crate with a rod holder or piece of PVC pipe mounted to it. A dip net fits really well there (it sticks up like a flag, but hey - you're less likely to be hit by a boater!) That's how I do it anyway. I then use a bait bucket to put the fish in. Teather it to the kayak with clothesline or similar. When paddling, pull it in, but make sure you exchange the water often. When anchored or on shore, put it back in the water.

By kayak is definitely a lot of fun. You can satisfy the curiosity of "gee, I wonder what lives in that little cove over there?"

#5 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

I bought a kayak recently and have been traveling the local rivers and lakes here in Wisconsin. I see tons and tons of darters, minnows, shiners and other things. Is there a way to catch some of these fish from the kayak? The places I find lots of fish are not assessable from shore. Usually its where a river runs through a marsh, there's a channel in the center where lots of fish are and lots of wet vegetation on both sides.

An umbrella net might work well, just drop it down wait till some fish swim over it and haul it up, can even use some bait tied on in a bit of old nylon stocking or ready to discard aquarium net.

#6 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

An umbrella net might work well, just drop it down wait till some fish swim over it and haul it up, can even use some bait tied on in a bit of old nylon stocking or ready to discard aquarium net.

And just in case you got them smart miners have a BG shiner scoop handy to pick off the wise guys hanging out just off the edge of the umbrella net. Posted Image

#7 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:27 AM

Curiositykat,

Good to have a fellow Wisconsinite aboard! Just to let you know, you'll need a permit to collect those cute little buggers you've been seeing. To get a permit, contact Ted Treska of the Wisconsin DNR at (608) 267-7659. Also, to let you know, it's illegal to use a cast net in Wisconsin (among many, many, other things!). To review what methods you can use, visit the fishing regulations here. Additionally, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the spearing and netting regulations here. Any of the other methods that were suggested previously in this thread should be OK to use. At this point, I'll give you the regular new member greeting...I hope that you find your stay on the forum both enjoyable and informative!

Brian

#8 Guest_Curiositykat_*

Guest_Curiositykat_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:25 AM

Curiositykat,

Good to have a fellow Wisconsinite aboard! Just to let you know, you'll need a permit to collect those cute little buggers you've been seeing. To get a permit, contact Ted Treska of the Wisconsin DNR at (608) 267-7659. Also, to let you know, it's illegal to use a cast net in Wisconsin (among many, many, other things!). To review what methods you can use, visit the fishing regulations here. Additionally, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the spearing and netting regulations here. Any of the other methods that were suggested previously in this thread should be OK to use. At this point, I'll give you the regular new member greeting...I hope that you find your stay on the forum both enjoyable and informative!

Brian

I have a fishing license. Do I need something more than that? and how much would it cost? What fish can I collect with just a fishing license?

Edited by Curiositykat, 26 August 2009 - 01:28 AM.

#9 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:02 AM

Curiositykat,

You can't take any fish home to your fish tank with just a fishing license. You need to contact Ted Treska of the Wisconsin DNR at (608) 267-7659 to get a "minnow harvest" permit. This permit is free, but you must submit monthly reports to the DNR of the fish that you catch.

Brian

#10 Guest_GreenLakeYak_*

Guest_GreenLakeYak_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

I'm also from WI, just getting into collecting and native fish, and also from a kayak :) . I've already found some creek chubs and sunfish in some small creeks in town, but I'd be doing collecting from a kayak on Big Green Lake and the smaller waters nearby.

Informative thread , I didn't know I had to get a permit, good thing it's free though.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users