Hopped in the Maumee River

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

Hello,
I went out this afternoon in search of a new fishing hole. I just moved to Perrsyburg and wanted to get out and explore the area a bit before the rain that's predicted to head our way makes the river a mess.

Date: August 26, 2009
Water Level: USGS gage read 600 cfs. Average summertime flows are around 400 cfs. Pools sampled were 0.1m – 0.3m deep. Took some time to do some hook-and-line fishing also. I was able to wade through the riffles and runs (wading would have been a little easier at lower levels, but at 600 cfs, it was manageable) and fish the slower part of the drift with great results.
Water Quality: Turbid as usual.
Water Temp.: Not measured. Likely 24°C or more.
Substrate: Fist-sized limestone cobble and limestone bedrock dominated. A few areas had sand deposits. Silt is very prominent in everywhere except the swiftest riffles.
Collected:
Gizzard Shad (Dorosoma cepedianum)
Posted Image
– caught many young of year in the shallower pools. They made great bait too.
Bluntnose Minnow (Pimephales notatus)
Redfin Shiner (Lythrurus umbratilis)
Spotfin Shiner (Cyprinella spiloptera)
Ghost Shiner (Notropis buchanani)
Posted Image
– abundant in eddies downstream of riffles.
Emerald Shiner (Notropis atherinoides)
Posted Image
Sand Shiner (Notropis stramineus)
Quillback (Carpiodes cyprinus) – found one small young of year in a sluggish pool.
Channel Catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) – caught quite a few in the 3-5 lbs. range drifting Gizzard Shad under a float. The catfish were feeding quite aggressively below the large gravel bar I was fishing downstream of.
White Perch (Morone americana)
Posted Image
– one young of year was found over the only section that had a sand substrate.
White Crappie (Pomoxis annularis)
Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)
Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomieu)
Posted Image
– found one young of year in the swiftest area of a riffle. Also caught one large Smallmouth Bass using Gizzard Shad for bait. The fish was really fat. It was probably loaded with shiners and Rusty Crayfish.
Posted Image
Logperch (Percina caprodes)
Johnny Darter (Etheostoma nigrum)
Greenside Darter (Etheostoma blennioides)
Posted Image

Notes: Initially sampled with an 8’x4’ seine. After collecting a bucket full of Gizzard Shad, I grabbed my fishing rod and started walking downstream until I found water that would be deep enough to hold fish in the summertime.

Just thought I'd post, as it's not much more than a copy & paste from my personal records that I keep when I go out.

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

Nice looking smallie :lol:

#3 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:39 AM

Nice fish and description, Nate! Thanks for posting!

Brian

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users