sick dace?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

Last night when i got home from work (and today) I noticed my reddish colored long nose dace acting odd. he is sitting on his turtle ledge not moving and panting. when other fish approach instead of chasing them off or swimming away he at most wiggles and nothing more. He even tolerates the grey longnose sidling up beside him. What could cause a dace to become still and breathe heavy?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:02 AM

I think he may have hit programmed senesence/death. A lot of breeding adult cyprinids die at the end of their major breeding season.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

I think he may have hit programmed senesence/death. A lot of breeding adult cyprinids die at the end of their major breeding season.

Agreed, my oldest Saffron shiner just did the similar thing. He went through his last breeding period and was really colored up and chasing the other Saffron's for a couple weeks, then died.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

Agreed, my oldest Saffron shiner just did the similar thing. He went through his last breeding period and was really colored up and chasing the other Saffron's for a couple weeks, then died.

Oh, man... that's a drag. Just as it becomes a favorite fish, it kicks the bucket!

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

josh i still need to get my hands on some saffrons!!

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

josh i still need to get my hands on some saffrons!!

Can't really help ya there, I got mine from a trip in TN. They aren't in my area.

My Saffron was my favorite, big and beautiful..not to mention my Scarlet Shiner died too this week. He hadn't been eating for 3 weeks and was in full breading when I caught him. So....both the fish in my avatar are now dead...dangit

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

That's horrible josh. Those shiners are beautiful

#8 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

I was googling long nose dace and found this thread.

Mine are really lazy, sitting on the bottom all the time. They will only allow their own to get near. Occasionally they will be active but for the most part they just sit on the bottom or wedge themselves in between stuff.

How did yours end up?

What I find odd is that they are aggressive eaters and have not seemed to lost their appetite.

Edited by lozgod, 10 November 2009 - 08:39 PM.

#9 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:36 AM

I was googling long nose dace and found this thread.

Mine are really lazy, sitting on the bottom all the time. They will only allow their own to get near. Occasionally they will be active but for the most part they just sit on the bottom or wedge themselves in between stuff.

How did yours end up?

What I find odd is that they are aggressive eaters and have not seemed to lost their appetite.

That sounds fairly normal, longnoses are normally crevice dwelling bottom dwellers.

As for the dace that was still, not reacting to any fish, and panting, he died as one of the many bottom dwelling fish that died when i failed to notice a filter failure. I am glad that happened after i moved my darters as it wiped out my suckers, madtom, and one of my two longnose.

i wish I had another red longnose. my greyish one developed a bit of red once during a water change but the color faded, my old red one was red 24/7

#10 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

ok that is a relief. They would be fine then if that is normal behavior because no signs of illness. I have red side dace and they are pretty active and thought that the long nosed weren't active therefore must be sick. Feel better now.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users