went collecting yesterday

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

I went down to a little stream near my apartment to do some collecting. This stream is right in town there are some nice fish in the stream for minnows and some fantail
darters i collected three darters that are male in the up comeing days i hope to go back and get some females. i am keeping them in a 29 gallon tank with some small hornyhead chubs which i wil give to a budy with a 125 when they get to big. how many darters can one keep in a 29gallon tank? i also hope to go to the cedar and some of its other tributaries soon and find iowa darters and rainbows also would like some of the dirfernt shiners

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

Welcome and congrats on your first catch. Have any photos? I once had a 29gallon, before moving up. I think I kept about 10-12 darters in there.

I built caves and levels with creekrock to give myself my surface area for the darters to sit on, as you can see.
Posted Image

My advice is to not get too many of one species. You'll be wanting to find more and more different species and you'll soon run out of room if you have a bunch of one species. I made that mistake with my 29gallon, I had 8 rainbows and 4 greensides and I was out of room. Right now I only have one of each species in my 75, with the exception being the Bluebreast Darter. This helps for space, but sucks if one dies.

#3 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

sounds cool, i went for a little while with my doughter today more horny head chubs
and one more darter that i released same as other three. Any one have any exspirence with the root river none trout water? i might try and hit this tommarow if i can find a baby siter! would also like to hit the zumbro.

as far as pics go no i do not have any i can take some but my comp so old it wont upload photos.

P.S I also have a 50 gal breeder thats going to be native,as well as a 47 gallon high also will be native when i get my big tank for the fish in it cichlids.

Edited by phatfish, 28 August 2009 - 10:49 AM.

#4 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

Update went out for an hour and got a rainbow,johnny and a realy red looking fantail i released. also got some shiners and horny head chubs all out of one riffle!

#5 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

On a couple of occasions, I have found pink colored fantails. I thought that was breeding colors, but the one I brought home stayed pink for almost a year.

It was a big fellow, over 4" long.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Update went out for an hour and got a rainbow,johnny and a realy red looking fantail i released. also got some shiners and horny head chubs all out of one riffle!

Rainbows are great. I've found that Johnny's are fragile and I've had trouble keeping them.

#7 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

So far every one is eating and happy. i feed frozen blood worms,mysis shrimp,live black worms and a veggie flack for the chubs.

#8 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:53 AM

Rainbows are great. I've found that Johnny's are fragile and I've had trouble keeping them.

That's odd. All of the Johnnies I've had are about the hardiest darters you can find. Hmmm. Regional variation?

Brian

#9 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:53 AM

That's odd. All of the Johnnies I've had are about the hardiest darters you can find. Hmmm. Regional variation?

Brian

Maybe so, but I've had at least 3 Johnnies at sometime and they have usually died fairly quickly. I just made the assumption that they were fragile and I don't keep them anymore.

#10 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:50 AM

Hmmmm. That's too bad.

Brian

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users